Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport expiration date

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2023, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Passport expiration date

This isn't directly a Delta question so please feel free to move elsewhere if more applicable...

My brother just called me. He wants to book a roundtrip ticket, on Delta, from Boston to Paris for next month (April). He just looked at his passport expires in June. He called me to asked if he'd be OK since many Websites state your passport needs to be valid for at least 6 months beyond the travel date.

I said that he'd be fine (else a 10-year passport is really just a 9 1/2 year passport) but now I'm starting to second guess myself. I'd appreciate some confirmation from experienced international travelers on what date really matters on a passport with respect to both Delta and US immigration. Thank you!
Old Mar 8, 2023, 1:51 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Tonyh120
This isn't directly a Delta question so please feel free to move elsewhere if more applicable...

My brother just called me. He wants to book a roundtrip ticket, on Delta, from Boston to Paris for next month (April). He just looked at his passport expires in June. He called me to asked if he'd be OK since many Websites state your passport needs to be valid for at least 6 months beyond the travel date.

I said that he'd be fine (else a 10-year passport is really just a 9 1/2 year passport) but now I'm starting to second guess myself. I'd appreciate some confirmation from experienced international travelers on what date really matters on a passport with respect to both Delta and US immigration. Thank you!
Here's the quick and dirty:

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...es/France.html
DLHubber likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 1:53 pm

For France, I believe (not certain) they only require 3 months of validity from the planned end of your trip.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

He won't be allowed to board. Even if immigration doesn't enforce their own rule, DL will as they're the one that pays if refused entry.

France is 3 months. (A lot of countries are 6, but France is only 3)
Old Mar 8, 2023, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
Originally Posted by flyerCO
He won't be allowed to board. Even if immigration doesn't enforce their own rule, DL will as they're the one that pays i
I second this. He will not be able to board. Have him apply now and pay extra to expedite his application.
davidlhanson likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your quick replies. The 3 month rule is clear.

Let me add one additional wrinkle to the story though...my brother (lives in Boston) is a dual citizen. He has a US passport (expires June 2023) and UK passport (expires 2026). Could he use the UK passport to fly from Boston to Paris (2026 expiration date) and then use the US passport for the Paris-Boston return (landing in April with a June expiration date)?
Old Mar 8, 2023, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Thank you all for your quick replies. The 3 month rule is clear.

Let me add one additional wrinkle to the story though...my brother (lives in Boston) is a dual citizen. He has a US passport (expires June 2023) and UK passport (expires 2026). Could he use the UK passport to fly from Boston to Paris (2026 expiration date) and then use the US passport for the Paris-Boston return (landing in April with a June expiration date)?
No. He'll need to exit the US using his US passport. If he tries to use UK passport, he'll be flagged by US CBP as he won't have legally entered the US as an UK citizen. Most countries (including US) require you to enter and exit under that countries passport, if have one.

He could give UK passport at French border. However he must give US passport to DL. They may allow him to fly since he has UK passport to enter France. Ie they'll swipe his US passport, but override system nothing he has an UK passport. However there's no promises. It depends on DL systems and the level of training/ knowledge of agent.

Last edited by flyerCO; Mar 8, 2023 at 2:28 pm
Old Mar 8, 2023, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
No. He'll need to exit the US using his US passport. If he tries to use UK passport, he'll be flagged by US CBP as he won't have legally entered the US as an UK citizen. Most countries (including US) require you to enter and exit under that countries passport, if have one.

He could give UK passport at French border. However he must give US passport to DL. They may allow him to fly since he has UK passport to enter France. Ie they'll swipe his US passport, but override system nothing he has an UK passport. However there's no promises. It depends on DL systems and the level of training/ knowledge of agent.
Is this how it works? Who exactly would catch him for overstaying in the US upon exit? Theres no immigration control on exit
roberto99 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 9:35 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by smartytravel
Is this how it works? Who exactly would catch him for overstaying in the US upon exit? Theres no immigration control on exit
Countries share data, he may not be caught right away but it would be an inconsistency that may cause problems later. Not worth the hassle.
imkevinmc likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 11:44 pm

He needs to show the US passport AND the UK one. While he may leave the US on his American, showing the UK will prove he can enter France. AND yes, the American one too,fly back.

True story, My dual national American -Israeli friend was visiting the US when Covid hit and Israel closed its doors. When they got to the airport in the US, the American one was on file and they were initially told - no boarding.Then they took out and showed their Israeli passports - and had no problems being allowed to board.
SEA-Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 4:30 am

Slightly OT, but the 10 year passport is really a 9 year passport. Have to start the renewal process, in the current environment, several months prior to the six month expiration rule (unless one pays the expediting fee). In addition, if you are a frequent traveler, one may need to also have a 2nd passport on hand.
ConnieDee likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 4:48 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Airlines share the passport details of exiting pax with CBP.

The facial recognition boarding gates also link to CBP and are cross-checked with at least foreign national passports used for entry... my recent BOS-CDG had a CBP agent taking smartphone pics of everyone boarding (since a non-facial-recognition gate was used).
Old Mar 9, 2023, 5:20 am

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
My experience has been to CHECK IN with the airline showing my Italian passport when traveling to the EU. If any US officials ask to see my passport, they would be given the USA passport. The airline transmits the data to the arrival country. Reverse pro ess on the way home (check in with my US passport, but then use the Italian passport throughout the airport.)
The exception is when transiting Canada between the US and EU.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Countries share data, he may not be caught right away but it would be an inconsistency that may cause problems later. Not worth the hassle.
Originally Posted by hhdl
Airlines share the passport details of exiting pax with CBP.

The facial recognition boarding gates also link to CBP and are cross-checked with at least foreign national passports used for entry... my recent BOS-CDG had a CBP agent taking smartphone pics of everyone boarding (since a non-facial-recognition gate was used).
As noted, while you don't see an immigration agent, you are "checked" out of the country. The passport is sent to US CBP. If you didn't enter using that passport, it'll be flagged.

Originally Posted by AS MHT
My experience has been to CHECK IN with the airline showing my Italian passport when traveling to the EU. If any US officials ask to see my passport, they would be given the USA passport. The airline transmits the data to the arrival country. Reverse pro ess on the way home (check in with my US passport, but then use the Italian passport throughout the airport.)
The exception is when transiting Canada between the US and EU.
Thus is not legally what you're to do. In fact you are violating the law. You must enter and exit using your US passport. It's not a show it if asked requirent, it's a legal requirement. As noted you show both passports to the airline agent. The agent should scan both in, the US as primary and the other as secondary.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by lamphs
Slightly OT, but the 10 year passport is really a 9 year passport. Have to start the renewal process, in the current environment, several months prior to the six month expiration rule (unless one pays the expediting fee). In addition, if you are a frequent traveler, one may need to also have a 2nd passport on hand.
My passport was set to expire in August, close to 3 months after some planned travel in Europe, so I went for "standard" renewal in December. Had to mail it in, as for some reason, online renewal wasn't available for me. I received my new passport and GE card mid-February, so about 7 weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.