Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL aircraft shot up in SCL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2023, 8:52 am
Original Poster

DL aircraft shot up in SCL

Looks like some people may be delayed in Santiago. Apparently there was a robbery gone awry and two people on the ground were murdered in the attempt, including an aviation official.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 8:54 am
Original Poster

A firefight near Santiago International Airport in Chile has resulted in a Delta Air Lines plane being riddled with bullets, according to reports.A video of a report from a Chilean news channel has begun to circulate on social media showing the Delta plane at the airport, also known as the Arturo Merino Benítez International Airport, and the damage it has sustained.

A Chilean political scientist calling himself Pablo Lira R. shared a clip from Tu Día, a show on Chilean TV channel Canal 13, to his Twitter on Wednesday.

According to a translation, he captioned the clip: "Bursts of fire from military weapons hit the fuselage of an airplane that was on the tarmac at Santiago International Airport...in an attempted robbery of a truck that cost the life of a [Directorate General of Civil Aviation] official."
The video clip appears to show damage to the plane's tail as well as a vehicle engulfed in flames on a road near the airport. Its Spanish caption said two people had been killed in a firefight at the airport.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 9:41 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Ambassador, CLEAR/Global Entry
Yep, Some type of hold up on the tarmac,,, that plane will be out of Service for a while...Looked like Delta A350 ( N574DZ )...Plane only 4 years old... Used to be a LATAM plane that I think Delta picked up during the big surge to get more planes on their South American routes.

https://www.newsweek.com/delta-airli...-chile-1786366
Old Mar 8, 2023, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Hepsaint
Looked like Delta A350 ( N574DZ )
I don't know how you got a tail number out of that crappy video, but it's definitely not an A350. Easy to see that just by looking at the wing:

Probably a 767.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DLHubber
I don't know how you got a tail number out of that crappy video, but it's definitely not an A350. Easy to see that just by looking at the wing:

Probably a 767.
DL flies ex-LATAM A350s to SCL. The tail number can be determined by looking up the ATL SCL flight.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL flies ex-LATAM A350s to SCL. The tail number can be determined by looking up the ATL SCL flight.
Sure, but the plane that got shot is not an A350.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 10:16 am

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
It certainly is. The news footage in this Twitter post has more clear footage of the Delta plane, from which you can get this still.

chessman and jcturnbull like this.

Last edited by steex; Mar 8, 2023 at 10:20 am Reason: Fixing link.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 10:21 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Premium fare deal to SCL was posted yesterday... there goes that idea.
Spiff, YYZC2, GVR Bill and 16 others like this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 10:24 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Ambassador, CLEAR/Global Entry

Probably a 767.
Nope, Thats N574DZ...Zoomed in on the aircraft number on the video...Shes been doing the ATL-SCL run for a bit...Came in as DL147...Lets see how long she is out of service for...
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by steex
It certainly is. The news footage in this Twitter post has more clear footage of the Delta plane, from which you can get this still.
Don't I look like an a$$. Going back and looking more closely, the still I captured of the wing just appears to have no winglet because of the crappy video quality.

My bad.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yes it is. These are ex-LATAM A350s, no winglets like on DL A350 currently.

ETA - I guess they do, but thought I read about them needing to add. (Maybe is ex-Lion Air? Or I'm getting airline confused)
lsquare and Keystone like this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes it is. These are ex-LATAM A350s, no winglets currently. (I'm assuming this is what you're sticking on)
That was what I was sticking on, but all A350s have winglets coming out of the factory. N574DZ is no exception: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10811774

Just the crappy video quality made it appear to have no winglets.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 10:38 am

At the risk of having this thread getting locked... Id say that if this was a ole Boeing aircraft, she'd be getting reading for her return flight back to ATL right about now ... Boy, they just don't make 'em like they used to ...

B-17G "Honky Tonk Sal" (3-15-44)

Last edited by Hepsaint; Mar 8, 2023 at 10:39 am Reason: sp
Old Mar 8, 2023, 10:55 am

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
That was what I was sticking on, but all A350s have winglets coming out of the factory. N574DZ is no exception: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10811774

Just the crappy video quality made it appear to have no winglets.
To be fair to you, we're also looking at odd angles of an aircraft has seemingly been turned into a pincushion by automatic weapons. I wouldn't be shocked to learn there is damage to the wingtip.
hhdl and DLHubber like this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 11:48 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
That'll buff right out.
Spiff, bocastephen, GoBob and 9 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.