Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade phone call

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2023, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, B6 Mosaic 3
Upgrade phone call

Well, this is a first for me. I boarded my flight from SFO-BOS and while sitting in coach, I got a phone call. "This is the gate agent Mr., Would you like a first class upgrade?". Me "sure", Gate Agent: "ok, please proceed to seat 2A". I was 3 of (a lot) on the upgrade list. I don't know if the 2 ahead of me are also upgraded. Glad I answered the call that I first thought was spam.
FabCW and ATLCDG like this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Hope this doesn't become the norm because my phone is set to auto-decline ALL numbers I don't have programmed due to the incessant amount of nonsense spam calls I received prior to this change.
lindros2 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
I've heard of folks being called when they have yet to reach the gate if they'd like to upgrade only 1 of their party, take a middle C+, etc. but never on the plane!
Old Feb 3, 2023, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Well, I did apologize for the background noise that was coming over the speaker from the flight attendant. Was that the right thing to do ?

the rapid fire conversation ended with a very sincere thank you from me.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 3:22 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
what's a phone call?
hockeystl and DiverDave like this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 7:05 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by BOS1971
I was 3 of (a lot) on the upgrade list. I don't know if the 2 ahead of me are also upgraded. Glad I answered the call that I first thought was spam.
Originally Posted by hockeystl
Hope this doesn't become the norm because my phone is set to auto-decline ALL numbers I don't have programmed due to the incessant amount of nonsense spam calls I received prior to this change.
Maybe the 2 others ahead of the OP also block their calls
Old Feb 3, 2023, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Don't know....
when I walked on plane (during main 2 boarding, even though I was comfort+), there were 3 empty seats. After I was upgraded, I checked the list and the two ahead of me still showed up as 1,2, on the upgrade list. I dropped off the upgrade list, but, never showed up on the upgraded list.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL DIA/MM AS MVPG75K Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by BOS1971
Well, this is a first for me. I boarded my flight from SFO-BOS and while sitting in coach, I got a phone call. "This is the gate agent Mr., Would you like a first class upgrade?". Me "sure", Gate Agent: "ok, please proceed to seat 2A". I was 3 of (a lot) on the upgrade list. I don't know if the 2 ahead of me are also upgraded. Glad I answered the call that I first thought was spam.
I was leaving the skyclub at SFO headed for the gate when my phone rang and it said it was SFO Airport... which kind of freaked me out a bit. I answered and it was the gate agent letting me know that my first class seat on the plane had a broken monitor so he moved me to a new seat. I was pretty amazed at the extra effort to let me know something so simple. I think it is a nice touch.
Moyerclan and hi55us like this.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I got a phone call from a gate agent of another airline recently, so this is not unusual, per se.

It was funny how the conversation went.

GA: (paraphrased) you have been upgraded, will you be able to join us?

I think she noted I was originally booked on a later flight
Me: yes, I am standing across from you (at the gate boarding area)

This was all part of one day, three separate tickets, two separate airlines 2x cross country itineraries. The first flight arrived early, so I was able to move my second and third flights early. The phone conversation was the last flight of the day.
Moyerclan likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 4:10 am

Programs: Delta DM
I also have received a phone call at SFO asking if I would be able to make the flight as my status a standby after SDC'ing to a later flight. I was near bubble for the D1 upgrade. I'm sure it made person next on the list very happy. At the time, I didn't think much of the phone call. Just thought, "this is new!".
Old Feb 6, 2023, 5:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
I wish they would do more calling/texting rather than so much gate paging. They have everyone’s cell phone numbers. No need to be looking for people with PAs in 2023.
Spiff, golfr and DLHubber like this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 6:51 am

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
I am the dumbass who always answers calls that come into my phone. With that being said, if this is the new norm, there's got to be a way to ensure that most of us don't miss these calls.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 4:24 pm

Programs: VS Flying Club, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by gregtay
I was leaving the skyclub at SFO headed for the gate when my phone rang and it said it was SFO Airport... which kind of freaked me out a bit. I answered and it was the gate agent letting me know that my first class seat on the plane had a broken monitor so he moved me to a new seat. I was pretty amazed at the extra effort to let me know something so simple. I think it is a nice touch.
That's what they call the Delta Difference 😁
Old Feb 7, 2023, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Years ago, maybe so many it was PMNW. I got a call in the morning of an afternoon flight at my hotel in Phoenix. It was an agent at PHX asking if I would take a non-stop instead of the connecting flight I was on and offering an upgrade on the non-stop. The connecting flight was oversold and he was trying to fix things in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.