Wiki Posts
Search

GUCs expiring 1/31/2023...any options?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2023, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
GUCs expiring 1/31/2023...any options?

I have a feeling there is no happy answer for me, but, I have 8 GUCs that are going to expire on January 31, along with my status demotion, and it's killing me. I have been trying to find ways to travel on these certs for a very long time and sadly covid really changed my life and as hard as it is to believe, my former Diamond self has not been able to leave town for pretty much any reason.

so - I'm just wondering, is anyone else in the same boat, and has anyone had any luck asking for special extension, or converting these to some other benefit like miles, anything at all.

I'm well aware DL is probably happy to be thinning out the ranks and clearing these certs off their books but...sigh. I put a lot of time into earning these darn things, so figured it's worth it to ask around.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerUSA
I have a feeling there is no happy answer for me, but, I have 8 GUCs that are going to expire on January 31, along with my status demotion, and it's killing me. I have been trying to find ways to travel on these certs for a very long time and sadly covid really changed my life and as hard as it is to believe, my former Diamond self has not been able to leave town for pretty much any reason.

so - I'm just wondering, is anyone else in the same boat, and has anyone had any luck asking for special extension, or converting these to some other benefit like miles, anything at all.

I'm well aware DL is probably happy to be thinning out the ranks and clearing these certs off their books but...sigh. I put a lot of time into earning these darn things, so figured it's worth it to ask around.
No. They've been holding firm on expiration. IMO, as they should. Its not like they've not given multiple years to use. In fact i think having so many partially led to GUC change on expiration (elite year vs one year from selection date).
Old Jan 22, 2023, 5:34 pm

They have been extended for multiple years already. Delta also offered a program from Jan-Jul of last year to convert GUC's/RUC's to miles; which was quite a deal if you had no immediate plans to fly.

At this point in time if you chose to keep your certificates stored up, I doubt they will offer anymore goodwill on them unfortunately.
audidudi and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Yellowjj yeah I remember something about that exchange offer a while back but it was a pretty stingy offer - 8000 miles for a GUC - which sort of made sense if you considered that 4 GUCs were a Benefit on the same list as 25000 miles....but we all know the GUCs had an absurdly outsized value, on that list, compared to all of the other selections. And when the offer was promoted, I was still hoping to travel and use them so I didn't bite.

At this point, faced with them going into the toilet, I suppose if I beg them for a small pittance of miles and they give me anything, I'll be happy, but I haven't called to ask yet.

By the way flyerCO this is really not a solicitation of opinions. Definitely not a "Delta should or shouldn't" post. Just asking, what has been people's actual experience if anyone has had contact with Delta regarding their accounts.

There are plenty of other posts where folks can be opinionated or unsympathetic or even downright elitist jerks and gloat about keeping their status while others lose theirs. Not here, thanks, don't need it, didn't ask for it.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 6:33 pm

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
Used a few after expiration

So I got 3 different agents to use the expiring ones for two flights in March and one flight in May. It did take a few HUCA calls each time, the only thing I noticed was when they found it in my account they said no it is expiring but when I gave them the number and redemption code they didn’t notice the expiration, maybe just a coincidence.
flyerUSA and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
They’re going to expire…period. The criticism about flyerCO’s post isn’t warranted or justified…he’s merely stating facts!
cre95, DLHubber, hockeystl and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 6:55 pm

There are plenty of other posts where folks can be opinionated or unsympathetic or even downright elitist jerks and gloat about keeping their status while others lose theirs. Not here, thanks, don't need it, didn't ask for it.
You don’t get to dictate what goes on here. As long as the rules are followed, people are free to share their opinions. You’re posting on a public forum, that’s how it goes.
cre95, DrMilano, trooper and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 5:50 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
If you really want to use them, I would find a cheap ticket to the Middle East or Africa on KLM in the next week with Z class available and it’s a great redemption. I had 2 expiring 1/31 also and and am currently on my return from Rwanda (via AMS).

the alternative is to gift them to someone. I’m sure there will be appreciative takers. Better than let
them go to waste.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by TechMarauder
If you really want to use them, I would find a cheap ticket to the Middle East or Africa on KLM in the next week with Z class available and it’s a great redemption. I had 2 expiring 1/31 also and and am currently on my return from Rwanda (via AMS).

the alternative is to gift them to someone. I’m sure there will be appreciative takers. Better than let
them go to waste.
How do you gift a guc without being on the flight?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 7:30 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Jay00848
So I got 3 different agents to use the expiring ones for two flights in March and one flight in May. It did take a few HUCA calls each time, the only thing I noticed was when they found it in my account they said no it is expiring but when I gave them the number and redemption code they didn’t notice the expiration, maybe just a coincidence.
Yea, but the question is: what happens when the ticket is re-issued? I'd wager they drop you out of the upgraded class.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 7:51 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by moko87
How do you gift a guc without being on the flight?
They can't be "gifted" unless you are on the same flight and are already upgraded.
MSPeconomist and DL Platinum like this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TechMarauder

them go to waste.
Yep. I'm on KL667 back to AUS right now thanks to using last GUC for 2022.

Can't gift.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 9:18 am

but... you actually did ask for it. Are you looking for people to just lie to you and tell you what you want to hear or are you actually interested in reality?
audidudi likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks, although, they can't be gifted. I would have given them away happily. You have to be on the same flight with the other person.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
but... you actually did ask for it. Are you looking for people to just lie to you and tell you what you want to hear or are you actually interested in reality?
nope, actually, i didn't. i asked, what has been people's experience if they contacted Delta about their expiring certificates.

I did not ask "who here thinks Delta should extend them? Who's glad or not glad about it?"

y'all are just used to spouting off opinions whether solicited or not.

there are a couple of people who responded helpfully and I suppose they make filtering through all the loudmouths slightly worthwhile i guess. thanks to those people, you obviously know who you are.
resolute likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.