Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Cancels Flight, Says No Refund???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2023, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond

Delta cancelled a flight due to weather and says I can't get a refund for my first class otherwise non-refundable $950 transcon ticket??? Never heard of such a thing.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 11:53 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
How are you trying to get the refund? The on-line system doesn't always get this right, but a phone call should take care of it. If the first agent says no, call again.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 11:56 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by nologic
Delta cancelled a flight due to weather and says I can't get a refund for my first class otherwise non-refundable $950 transcon ticket??? Never heard of such a thing.
You'll need to provide more information about what you mean that "Delta" "says [you] can't get a refund." If, as suggested by the above response, you simply can't get it automatically online, that is different than a person telling you that.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam1222
You'll need to provide more information about what you mean that "Delta" "says [you] can't get a refund." If, as suggested by the above response, you simply can't get it automatically online, that is different than a person telling you that.

I tried to get my refunds by calling in immediately after the cancellation and the agent said “you cannot get a refund due to the weather because it’s not our responsibility and you have a nonrefundable ticket.” I was upset and said I didn’t agree with that, but there was nothing I could do with this agent so that call ended unsatisfactorily.

Later that day or the next day, I called in and I spoke to someone else and complained that I didn’t think this was fair and that agent said she would process the refund requests, and that occurred for my companion on my PNR, and the two kids on another PNR… But not for me.

Fast forward two weeks and the refunds were processed and credited for three out of the four people… So today, I called in to inquire about my refund and this agent read the notes out loud to me, which were entered by the first agent that said “passenger advised not entitled to refund due to weather cancellation.” (Meanwhile, I also never received an e-credit). In response, I said that while that agent did say that, I did not accept it and I didn’t think she was properly interpreting the policy, and I that I had called back spoken to a different agent, who indeed did process three out of four of the refunds, just not my refund.

This agent, then confirmed that nothing has been done in terms of a refund for my ticket, and she said she would submit a refund request, which is now pending. But she added this is now out of her control, and is subject to review by the refund review team (up to approx 7 business days) and may or may not ultimately be processed.

At least, now on the Delta refund website, it actually shows the ticket refund request exists and the status says pending, where, until today, there was no record of any refund or refund request.

So, at this point, I am hopeful, but worried…Especially given the original agent’s comments in the record that she advised me that no refund would occur because of a cancellation due to weather out of Delta’s control.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you new here? Of course you can get a refund.
jaimemayo, boss315 and Schuhfly like this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I tried to get my refunds by calling in immediately after the cancellation and the agent said “you cannot get a refund due to the weather because it’s not our responsibility and you have a nonrefundable ticket.” I was upset and said I didn’t agree with that, but there was nothing I could do with this agent so that call ended unsatisfactorily.

Later that day or the next day, I called in and I spoke to someone else and complained that I didn’t think this was fair and that agent said she would process the refund requests, and that occurred for my companion on my PNR, and the two kids on another PNR… But not for me.

Fast forward two weeks and the refunds were processed and credited for three out of the four people… So today, I called in to inquire about my refund and this agent read the notes out loud to me, which were entered by the first agent that said “passenger advised not entitled to refund due to weather cancellation.” (Meanwhile, I also never received an e-credit). In response, I said that while that agent did say that, I did not accept it and I didn’t think she was properly interpreting the policy, and I that I had called back spoken to a different agent, who indeed did process three out of four of the refunds, just not my refund.

This agent, then confirmed that nothing has been done in terms of a refund for my ticket, and she said she would submit a refund request, which is now pending. But she added this is now out of her control, and is subject to review by the refund review team (up to approx 7 business days) and may or may not ultimately be processed.

At least, now on the Delta refund website, it actually shows the ticket refund request exists and the status says pending, where, until today, there was no record of any refund or refund request.

So, at this point, I am hopeful, but worried…Especially given the original agent’s comments in the record that she advised me that no refund would occur because of a cancellation due to weather out of Delta’s control.
Email Delta and threaten to file a DOT complaint.

They'll process the refund.
Spiff, rylan, MSPeconomist and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
First agent was so wrong they should not be an agent at DL any longer. If the DL cancels your flight for any reason, you are entitled to a either refund or rebooking if the alternate options are acceptable to you.
Spiff, SK, flyerCO and 8 others like this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
OP:

Here's the U.S. DOT regulation for refunds on cancelled flights:

"Am I Entitled to a Refund?

"In the following situations, consumers are entitled to a refund of the ticket price and/or associated fees.

"Cancelled Flight – A consumer is entitled to a refund if the airline cancelled a flight, regardless of the reason, and the consumer chooses not to travel."

Source:

https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...ection/refunds
Spiff, lindros2, duluthDL and 10 others like this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
This is one time that an agent documenting a denial in the record is beneficial. Hopefully he/she can get some refresher training.
Spiff, moondog, exwannabe and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
OP:

Here's the U.S. DOT regulation for refunds on cancelled flights:

"Am I Entitled to a Refund?

"In the following situations, consumers are entitled to a refund of the ticket price and/or associated fees.

"Cancelled Flight – A consumer is entitled to a refund if the airline cancelled a flight, regardless of the reason, and the consumer chooses not to travel."

Source:

https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...ection/refunds
Thank you!
Old Jan 13, 2023, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to be clear, did DL rebook you on another carrier or did DL book you on alternate DL flights? You are certainly entitled to a refund if you rebook on another carrier on your own or simply don't take the trip. But if DL rebooks you on another carrier or other DL flights, you would not be eligible for refund. Ultimately, agents can interpret policy wrong and it's best not to get in an argument with them as they can add a notation to the record. If they tell you no, the best choice is generally to simply say "Thanks", hang up, and then call again.
nologic and lindros2 like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 13, 2023 at 1:40 pm
Old Jan 13, 2023, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper;[url=tel:34922114
34922114[/url]]Just to be clear, did DL rebook you on another carrier or did DL book you on alternate DL flights? You are certainly entitled to a refund if you rebook on another carrier on your own or simply don't take the trip. But if DL rebooks you on another carrier or other DL flights, you would not be eligible for refund. Ultimately, agents can interpret policy wrong and it's best not to get in an argument with them as they can add a notation to the record. If they tell you no, the best choice is generally to simply say "Thanks", hang up, and then call again.
No rebooking. No flights avail for days.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Email Delta and threaten to file a DOT complaint.

They'll process the refund.
I'd just skip straight to the DOT complaint. OP has tried with DL several times already. The DOT webform complaint is very easy: https://airconsumer.dot.gov/escompla...nsumerForm.cfm
Old Jan 13, 2023, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
Originally Posted by Kacee;[url=tel:34922197
34922197[/url]]I'd just skip straight to the DOT complaint. OP has tried with DL several times already. The DOT webform complaint is very easy: https://airconsumer.dot.gov/escompla...nsumerForm.cfm
Agreed on going straight to DOT. I had a similar situation a few years ago with UA with a refundable ticket. UA jerked me around on getting a refund and the DOT complaint saved the day.
moondog and lindros2 like this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'd just skip straight to the DOT complaint. OP has tried with DL several times already. The DOT webform complaint is very easy: https://airconsumer.dot.gov/escompla...nsumerForm.cfm
I disagree. Although DL did not handle this properly, it now appears that things are on track for the OP to receive the final refund to which he is entitled. I would give DL the seven business days they said might be needed to review the refund request before investing the time and effort to prepare a DOT complaint. If the OP does not get the last refund within a couple of weeks, there will be time enough then to file a DOT complaint.
Adam1222 and Gabdawg like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.