Wiki Posts
Search

1 hr 10 min connection time at CDG?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2023, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM
1 hr 10 min connection time at CDG?

Hello, when I made my flight IST-CDG on AF back in October there was a 2 hour layover in CDG connecting on DL to DTW. After several time changes, 2 hours has been whittled down to 1 hr 10 min. I called DL and the agent said she might be able to get me on an AF flight to DTW with a 4 hour connection.

I know this CDG thing has been discussed many times but I am wondering if anyone has flown IST-CDG-USA and made it with such a short layover. Since Turkey is not in the EU does anyone know if I have to go through security and immigration again in CDG? For what it’s worth I’m flying in biz class.

‘Thank you for any guidance you can give me!

Last edited by jaimemayo; Jan 12, 2023 at 8:56 pm
Old Jan 12, 2023, 7:59 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
could be very tight. CDG can get hairy transferring terminals - especially if you have to cross security. IST isn't Schengen so not sure where you'd come in > depart out (2E?).
if not, forget about it.

I think both flights (IST > CDG; CDG > USA) are Terminal 2E, but not sure.
jaimemayo likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

That’s what the agent thought, but wasn’t sure. I’ll call again and see if someone knows.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Lindros 2, I went to the site parisaeroport.fr. There you can put in flight arrivals, departures and dates. You are correct, both the AF flight from IST and departure to DTW arrive/leave from 2E so that should help.
lindros2 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 10:40 pm
zmb

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, Avis President's Club
Terminal 2E is a misnomer. It's called Terminal 2E in schedules and maps but it has Piers K, L, and M which are connected by a tram outside of security, you clear security when entering the pier. No guarantee of which pier your Delta flight will operate from, they seem to use all piers.

1:10 minutes is tight, I would be worried about your bags making it since I went 0 for 2 on my bags properly connecting when I transferred at CDG in 2022. Annoying, both times on my way to my destination and there was no feasible schedule to have a longer layover or go via AMS. Sometime, I would like to have a relaxing transfer at CDG and be able to visit the lounge, but that has not happened.

You're going to have to clear security like all other non-Schengen transfers. CDG isn't setup for "secure" transfers like AMS and I'm guessing Turkey isn't on the EU's trusted list anyways
Old Jan 12, 2023, 10:51 pm

It’s possible, but it’s tight. If it were me, I would switch to a different flight. CDG can be great if you have time to wonder and visit the lounge. But it can be stressful if your connection time is especially short.
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 11:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
I've done 1h 20m ATH-CDG-DFW with no issues and my bags made it as well. I didn't have to run but there wasn't time to pop by the lounge. Got to the gate just before boarding began. The transit security area was also empty. Flying in J

Arrived into 2F and left from 2E's K gates
Old Jan 13, 2023, 5:46 am

I've connected at CDG from non-Schengen countries to DTW and the only way you stand a chance to make it through in that time frame is if you are flying in F/DeltaOne and your first leg arrives on time.
The regular security line always looks like like a nightmare, regardless of time of day.
The tram is not an issue, you will spend vastly more time walking to and from the tram, than waiting for and riding on it.

F/DeltaOne will give you a good head start, glance at the board to see where your DTW plane is (likely "L"), get on the tram, pass security...it's doable. If DTW is "home", I would chance it, considering that your bags will probably be late.
jaimemayo and lindros2 like this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 6:25 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Doable, but tight.

You may want a longer layover.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 7:56 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by jaimemayo
Lindros 2, I went to the site parisaeroport.fr. There you can put in flight arrivals, departures and dates. You are correct, both the AF flight from IST and departure to DTW arrive/leave from 2E so that should help.
Yeah I tried that too.
Flightaware shows the gate for some 2E flights i.e. K35 - but other flights just the terminal.

And the French have a sense of humor with their terminal numbering - instead of common sense logic like the rest of the world.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
I've done 1h 20m ATH-CDG-DFW with no issues and my bags made it as well. I didn't have to run but there wasn't time to pop by the lounge. Got to the gate just before boarding began. The transit security area was also empty. Flying in J

Arrived into 2F and left from 2E's K gates
But Greece is Schengen…

Not sure if that is better or worse here.

USA security could impact the gate house area….
Old Jan 13, 2023, 8:07 am

The parisaeroport.fr site, if I'm seeing it right, shows the departure gate for the current day's flights until they depart.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you're flying in biz class so you can use the expedited security then I think they'll be ok... won't have any time to stop/shop at duty free or the lounge. If sitting further in the back then I'd be very concerned.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by lindros2
But Greece is Schengen…

Not sure if that is better or worse here.

USA security could impact the gate house area….
Yeah, just wanted to provide a recent data point that I had. 1h 10m is truly a YMMV situation with a bunch of variables at play.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 8:47 am
Original Poster

I called DL again last night. There is a flight to ATL they can get me on, but there is a 6 hour layover.

I am actually flying home to MKE. To be honest my luggage arriving late doesn’t bother me.

i will be in J on both the AF IST-CDG flight and CDG-USA flight. But yes, you never know. I missed my MKE-DTW-MSY connection last month because of snow in MSP (where the plane was coming from) and then the plane had to be de-iced in MKE. I had 15 minutes to get to the gate. Some made it (college kids running like crazy) and then another pax and me who just missed getting on.

So another question….would you take the 6 hour layover? It would be more relaxing knowing I could make the connection but 6 hours is a long time in the airport. Luckily I can use the AF lounge, though.

The agent also mentioned the possibility of a 4 hour layover with AF. I had an awful experience in J on AF JNB-CDG. DL was so much better in every way so I balk at the thought of AF TATL.

Thanks for the thoughts you have given me. Any more thoughts with the additional information? Thank you!

Last edited by jaimemayo; Jan 13, 2023 at 9:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.