Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can Delta Reservations Book Flights Under the KLM Flight Number?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2023, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

I have some Delta credits that I want to use for KLM coded and operated flights. Anyone know if Delta reservations can (and will) book flights under the KLM flight numbers on request?
Old Jan 12, 2023, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
I’m 99% sure the flights have to booked on a DL marketed flight number with a 006 starting number as Delta will be the issuing carrier since the credit is with Delta and not KLM.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrMilano
I’m 99% sure the flights have to booked on a DL marketed flight number with a 006 starting number as Delta will be the issuing carrier since the credit is with Delta and not KLM.
If I go to itasoftware and get a KLM itinerary and then use ITA Powertools to send the reservation to Delta for ticketing, delta.com will ticket using the KLM flight numbers and will allow the use of the credits. So clearly the system is capable of doing it, and vouchers can be used.

The reason I don't just use that methodology is that using that method it defaults to the Standard fare instead of the Light fare (KLM Basic Economy Equivalent), and I want the Light fare.

So I know the back end is capable, but the question is whether the reservation agents can and will book KLM fares.
awonderer likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by DrMilano
This isn't correct. DL reservations can book flights on flights that have no DL flight number at all. Whether they are able to do it in a given fare will vary.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 4:30 pm

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
I think it tooootaly depends on whether or not a given agent a) knows how to or b) wants to. The one limitation I’ve run into is flights not covered by the JV, which seems to be a relatively new development since AF/KL stopped being handled by DL in the US. However, there are some agents that still have access to AF/KL systems, so YMMV. . .
Adam1222 and awonderer like this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Here is a screen shot of the confirmation page on delta.com showing AF and KL flight numbers, AND the application of a Delta ecredit. I was able to do this with ITA Powertools, but delta.com insists on booking it as a Standard fare rather than a Light fare.

spongenotbob likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 6:29 pm

Programs: American Express Membership Rewards, Marriott Rewards Platinum
It’s possible, but an hassle. Ask DL reservations to contact the Global Ticketing Support desk if front line agents don’t see the light fare.

Alternatively, you can call AF to issue the ticket on 057 stock using the Delta eCredit.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emoose1
It’s possible, but an hassle. Ask DL reservations to contact the Global Ticketing Support desk if front line agents don’t see the light fare.

Alternatively, you can call AF to issue the ticket on 057 stock using the Delta eCredit.
Are you certain that AF/KLM can apply Delta ecredits?
Old Jan 13, 2023, 7:15 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Are you certain that AF/KLM can apply Delta ecredits?
I did it recently. Needed to book a AMS-BSL-AMS, which won't show on delta.com since it's entirely within Europe, and just called Delta. The agent booked the flights with KLM flight numbers and applied my ecredits. If the phone agent seems unsure, just have them reach out to the global ticketing support desk.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 7:22 am

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
I used the same method (Itasoftware) and was at the same stage recently. My itinerary included KL-coded flights in Europe and transatlantic flights operated by DL (and DL-marketed). I applied the ecredits, which lowered the final fare. However, when I clicked on "purchase", the reservation could not be confirmed and I got an error message. I tried several times and eventually reserved a different selection of flights, which included only DL-marketed flights.

Here is a screen shot of the confirmation page on delta.com showing AF and KL flight numbers, AND the application of a Delta ecredit. I was able to do this with ITA Powertools, but delta.com insists on booking it as a Standard fare rather than a Light fare.

Last edited by krzysz; Jan 13, 2023 at 7:25 am Reason: a typo
Old Jan 13, 2023, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I have some Delta credits that I want to use for KLM coded and operated flights. Anyone know if Delta reservations can (and will) book flights under the KLM flight numbers on request?
The general answer is yes they can, no they won't - unless you have at least one segment on a DL code (or the flights have no DL code). However, this is extremely YMMV by agent so it's hard to really give specific advice.

The computer they are typing on can do what you want - it's all about manipulating the human.
spongenotbob and awonderer like this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 10:46 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by findark
The general answer is yes they can, no they won't - unless you have at least one segment on a DL code (or the flights have no DL code). However, this is extremely YMMV by agent so it's hard to really give specific advice.

The computer they are typing on can do what you want - it's all about manipulating the human.

​​​I spoke to four(!) DL Global Ticketing Support reps this weekend, none of them could apply a Delta gift card towards purchase of pure AF intra Europe flights, so I'm gonna consider that legacy perk a goner.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
​​​I spoke to four(!) DL Global Ticketing Support reps this weekend, none of them could apply a Delta gift card towards purchase of pure AF intra Europe flights, so I'm gonna consider that legacy perk a goner.
My guess is that it may only be possible on TATL fares (where there are no potential cabotage issues) and they have revenue sharing JV.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
As long as Delta metal is involved somewhere along the way, yes they can book you on AF/KL/AFKL codeshare with other carriers using eCredits. However it’s not something most agents do frequently so it might require some assistance from a ticketing support desk. Just call in and be patient.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
As long as Delta metal is involved somewhere along the way, yes they can book you on AF/KL/AFKL codeshare with other carriers using eCredits. However it’s not something most agents do frequently so it might require some assistance from a ticketing support desk. Just call in and be patient.
Poster noted it was AF intra-EU (hence no DL metal involved).
Adam1222 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.