GROUND STOP ALL FLIGHTS / ALL DESTINATIONS EXCLUDES MILITARY AC AND
MEDEVAC FLIGHTS
DESTINATION AIRPORT; ALL
FACILITIES INCLUDED: ALL
GROUND STOP PERIOD: UNTIL 1430Z
REASON: EQUIPMENT OUTAGE
REMARKS: US NOTAMS SYSTEM DOWN
Old Jan 11, 2023, 6:03 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 6:03 am

The stop is until 9:00 am eastern time, rather than 9:30 (1430z). Is there a new advisory?

Old Jan 11, 2023, 6:16 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
According to Flightaware Delta, American, and United already have over 200 flights delayed each, Southwest is over 2,000. With a nationwide ground stop I suspect Delta, United, and American are not actually rolling out future delays that are now inevitable due to aircraft and crews not being where they're supposed to be on-time.
jalves likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 6:25 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by Beckles
According to Flightaware Delta, American, and United already have over 200 flights delayed each, Southwest is over 2,000. With a nationwide ground stop I suspect Delta, United, and American are not actually rolling out future delays that are now inevitable due to aircraft and crews not being where they're supposed to be on-time.
If you go back in time an hour, Delta only had 20, then 30, then 50, etc. delays.

They're not doing mass-delays - they're trying to NOT delay flights until it's absolutely necessary.
Thereby screwing pax who think everything is okay until they realize their flight will be 3 hours late or cancelled.

Southwest, on the other hand, went big early to alert passengers (early). How nice of them.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 6:32 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lindros2
They're not doing mass-delays - they're trying to NOT delay flights until it's absolutely necessary.
I always love heading out from the SkyClub to my gate and then sitting at the gate until posted departure time with no indication of why the flight isn't even boarding yet. All airlines will do this sometimes, but Delta seems worse about it than Southwest (the two airlines I fly most frequently).
Spiff and lindros2 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 6:44 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Delta 662 just got diverted to IAD...wonder if it's mechanical or LGA (flight is Nashville to LGA) is so congested Delta decided to divert.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 6:50 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
1319 TPA-LGA just got diverted to RIC. Going to be quite a mess today.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Delta 662 just got diverted to IAD...wonder if it's mechanical or LGA (flight is Nashville to LGA) is so congested Delta decided to divert.
Originally Posted by dcstudent
1319 TPA-LGA just got diverted to RIC. Going to be quite a mess today.
I'm guessing congestion at NY area airports. UA has had a few inbound red eyes from the west coast divert away from EWR.
ConnieDee likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 7:13 am

The nationwide ground stop is now lifted.

some isolated stops remain. Good tidings to all flying today and tomorrow.

Old Jan 11, 2023, 7:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
ATL and BOS definitely not on ground stops. They're doing triple runway takeoffs at ATL right now.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 7:56 am

Yes, wondering about what happens with in-air flights in general; also intrigued by the fact that the NOTAM failure happened in the middle of the night. Can think of benign and sinister reasons for that but of course speculation is useless until we know more.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 8:10 am

Comlete speculation, but my guess is the most likely cause of a computer failure in the middle of the night is a software update that failed. Probably had to do a system rollback and that can take time.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 8:28 am

At least it's a Wednesday and not a Monday or Friday.

...or right at Christmas.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 9:57 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Seems Delta is attempting to run the entire schedule late rather than mass canceling flights. United is doing the same while American and Southwest have canceled around 10% of the day's flying. Pluses and minuses to both strategies; we'll see how it goes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.