Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Check in Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2023, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
Baggage Check in Question

I am flying IAD-ATL-ICN on Delta next week. IAD-ATL is departing around 7PM and ATL-ICN is departing 0015AM. I booked this flight 6 months ago.
My plan changed and now I am in ATL. So I purchase a domestic ticket ATL-IAD departing around 2PM to position myself for my upcoming IAD-ATL-ICN flight.

I can check two bags for IAD-ATL-ICN for free. No free bags for ATL-IAD.

My question is.
In the morning of my travel day, can I check two bags at ATL Delta office for my ATL-ICN flight?
I am not skipping any flights. I will sit on ATL-IAD and IAD-ATL-ICN.

Thank you. Happy new year.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 3:39 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Yes. I believe it's up to 24 hours before, but my guess is you'll be doing more like 12 hours before.

Next time keep it simple and just ask, how early can I check my bags in.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 4:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Yes. I believe it's up to 24 hours before, but my guess is you'll be doing more like 12 hours before.

Next time keep it simple and just ask, how early can I check my bags in.
I think the OP is really asking if he/she can check a bag In ATL even though the travel for that itinerary is originating at IAD.
poohhead80 and trooper like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yes. If they ask any questions just point put you're flying to IAD for work and don't want bags to possible misconnect.

They also could tag them them to fly ATL-IAD-ATL-ICN, unless ATL-IAD and IAD-ATL share same flight number. Issue then is does ATL at IAD realize bags are supposed to connect. They may just toss out on bag claim.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 5:39 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I would carefully review the bag tags that get printed, just in case, before they put your bags on the belt...
hotturnip likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 11:51 pm

When you check in at ATL, it wouldn't hurt to ask if they can change your ticket so you can enjoy a relaxing day in Atlanta and come back later for just the ATL-ICN leg. I have no idea what your chances are, but you won't know if you don't ask.

Of course, even better would be if they need volunteers to get bumped off the ATL-IAD flight...
Old Jan 8, 2023, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seattlebruce
When you check in at ATL, it wouldn't hurt to ask if they can change your ticket so you can enjoy a relaxing day in Atlanta and come back later for just the ATL-ICN leg. I have no idea what your chances are, but you won't know if you don't ask.

Of course, even better would be if they need volunteers to get bumped off the ATL-IAD flight...
Thank you for the advice. I need Delta/KE miles to reach lifetime Skyteam elite status before the merge between Korea Airlines / Asiana Airlines completes.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
I would carefully review the bag tags that get printed, just in case, before they put your bags on the belt...
Thank you for the advice.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes. If they ask any questions just point put you're flying to IAD for work and don't want bags to possible misconnect.

They also could tag them them to fly ATL-IAD-ATL-ICN, unless ATL-IAD and IAD-ATL share same flight number. Issue then is does ATL at IAD realize bags are supposed to connect. They may just toss out on bag claim.
Thank you for the reply. I hope Delta agents tag my bags ATL-ICN in the morning at ATL. I am worried that Delta agents might tell me that they can only tag my bags at ATL after I complete ATL-IAD-ATL

The next best thing is to get my bags tagged ATL-IAD-ATL-ICN as you mentioned. Not sure Delta would charge the bag fee or not.

Thank you for your help.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 7:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I have sort of an unrelated question, I connected in ATL yesterday on an international flight. I checked 6 bags online the day before my flight and paid for them, and I was in comfort class, so only one bag was free, by the time of my flight I upgraded to first class which made 2 bags free. At the checkin counter the reps couldn't do anything as far as adding the 2nd free bag even though their system shows I get 2 free bags. They told me to call delta. My question is, would their computer system notice that 2 bags were free and automatically reduce the amount that is finalized on my Delta card? So far, my Amex account shows the full original amount pending. Has anyone experienced a cabin class change after you already purchase baggage online?
Old Jan 8, 2023, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I have sort of an unrelated question, I connected in ATL yesterday on an international flight. I checked 6 bags online the day before my flight and paid for them, and I was in comfort class, so only one bag was free, by the time of my flight I upgraded to first class which made 2 bags free. At the checkin counter the reps couldn't do anything as far as adding the 2nd free bag even though their system shows I get 2 free bags. They told me to call delta. My question is, would their computer system notice that 2 bags were free and automatically reduce the amount that is finalized on my Delta card? So far, my Amex account shows the full original amount pending. Has anyone experienced a cabin class change after you already purchase baggage online?
As you weren't in F when checked bags, the fees stand. The fees are based on status/cabin/etc at point you check them in.

Sorry but aren't eligible. Although asking never hurts. They might grant an exception.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 11:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
As you weren't in F when checked bags, the fees stand. The fees are based on status/cabin/etc at point you check them in.

Sorry but aren't eligible. Although asking never hurts. They might grant an exception.
You're right unfortunately. I just checked my Amex account and the transaction posted for the full amount ☹️

I guess I'll contact them in a few days.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 11:01 am

You're right unfortunately. I just checked my Amex account and the transaction posted for the full amount ☹️

I guess I'll contact them in a few days.
Update: Delta provided a $70 (Edit: $75.00) refund via credit voucher. I'll be using it on an upcoming flight. Based on my conversation with the customer service representative, this appears to happen frequently, and they don't credit the credit card charge but provide a credit voucher only.

Last edited by Global Adventurer; Jan 10, 2023 at 11:16 am
Old Jan 10, 2023, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Update: Delta provided a $70 (Edit: $75.00) refund via credit voucher. I'll be using it on an upcoming flight. Based on my conversation with the customer service representative, this appears to happen frequently, and they don't credit the credit card charge but provide a credit voucher only.
Happy they helped. However I wouldn't count on it in future.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 1:13 pm

Happy they helped. However I wouldn't count on it in future.
It didn't appear to be an issue and I actually read something on my online receipt later yesterday that says the amount on bags can be later adjusted. The delta checkin clerk said they could void all those bags out and recharge the correct amount, but I didn't want to deal with that while there was a huge line behind me and I was taking up a huge part of the line with an airport cargo trolley. But, the check-in counter clerks including the supervisor said I would get reimbursed, so I think it's standard practice actually.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.