Search

Now in LA, Left my Passport in MSP

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2022, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Now in LA, Left my Passport in MSP

I screwed up.

I flew home for the holidays and left my passport behind in MSP, and I'm scheduled to fly KLM LAX-AMS-XXX on Tuesday afternoon with the family.

- FedEx/USPS/UPS/DHL can't get me a passport until Wednesday.
- No carrier or combination of carriers can bring me from ONT/SNA/LAX->MSP and back again before my flight on Wednesday.

A friend of mine said that Delta offers some sort of "counter-to-counter" service, but didn't elaborate beyond that and no chat/phone agent seems to know what I'm talking about.

Is this perhaps Delta DASH? If so, does anyone have any recommendations on how to utilize this as an individual rather than a corporation?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well.

TIA
Old Dec 25, 2022, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Do you have to travel with your family, or can you arrive at your European destination separately?

How many thousands of dollars are you willing to spend to fix this?
Old Dec 25, 2022, 11:05 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/4MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
I screwed up.

I flew home for the holidays and left my passport behind in MSP, and I'm scheduled to fly KLM LAX-AMS-XXX on Tuesday afternoon with the family.

- FedEx/USPS/UPS/DHL can't get me a passport until Wednesday.
- No carrier or combination of carriers can bring me from ONT/SNA/LAX->MSP and back again before my flight on Wednesday.

A friend of mine said that Delta offers some sort of "counter-to-counter" service, but didn't elaborate beyond that and no chat/phone agent seems to know what I'm talking about.

Is this perhaps Delta DASH? If so, does anyone have any recommendations on how to utilize this as an individual rather than a corporation?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well.

TIA
Delta Dash is definitely the answer. Below is the website. Several years ago I was given tickets to a football game and was sent them via Delta Dash...worked perfectly! I don't know all the ins and outs, but did a dummy booking using the website below. You basically pick the flight the passport needs to take, pack it in a box, and away it goes. I did the airport option last time, and they were waiting for me in FLL (didn't do delivery to my home...not even sure if that was a thing back then). Good luck, but this seems to be a viable option!

https://www.deltacargo.com/Cargo/
Old Dec 25, 2022, 11:06 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2.3MM, IHG Diamond Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I hadn’t heard of DASH but that sure sounds like your solution!
Old Dec 25, 2022, 11:11 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Do you have a friend in MSP who wants to pick up some miles? Buy them a ticket and meet them when they get to LAX?
Like the old 'courier' flights from before the days of overnight shipping.
Old Dec 25, 2022, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a special webpage for DASH service:

https://www.deltacargo.com/Cargo/catalog/products/Dash

From that page:

"How It Works

"With DASH®, anyone can ship packages less than 16 ounces"

Edited to add: But to actually book a DASH shipment, one must use the link posted by spudley007 in Post #3.
bloc0102 and wrldwide1 like this.

Last edited by guv1976; Dec 25, 2022 at 11:53 pm
Old Dec 25, 2022, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mot29
Do you have a friend in MSP who wants to pick up some miles? Buy them a ticket and meet them when they get to LAX?
Like the old 'courier' flights from before the days of overnight shipping.
All of Delta's Monday and early Tuesday MSP-LAX flights are currently sold out.
wrp96 and RFDMinnesota like this.
Old Dec 25, 2022, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The DASH option does seem to be the most promising. Otherwise, you could fly LAX-MSP on Monday, and MSP-AMS on Tuesday. DL is currently selling seats on both flights.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 12:39 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by spudley007
Delta Dash is definitely the answer. Below is the website. Several years ago I was given tickets to a football game and was sent them via Delta Dash...worked perfectly! I don't know all the ins and outs, but did a dummy booking using the website below. You basically pick the flight the passport needs to take, pack it in a box, and away it goes. I did the airport option last time, and they were waiting for me in FLL (didn't do delivery to my home...not even sure if that was a thing back then). Good luck, but this seems to be a viable option!

https://www.deltacargo.com/Cargo/
I used this a year ago for some school records. Worked like a charm!
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 6:12 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Please do let us know what you end up doing, and how it works out.

You could also delay your flight for a day.
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 8:04 am
O62

UPS and FedEx also offer next flight shipping, obviously at higher cost. UPS is called Custom Critical and FedEx is called FedEx Same Day
miles4CDG and becks1 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 8:28 am

Is it possible to reroute yourself to AMS via MSP with enough of a layover that someone could bring your passport to you? Unclear who you ticketed through but maybe a routing change is possible. There are a couple of MSP connections leaving LAX early, but unclear whether the change fee would beat a expedited delivery service.
happydad100 and bloc0102 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xooz
Is it possible to reroute yourself to AMS via MSP with enough of a layover that someone could bring your passport to you? Unclear who you ticketed through but maybe a routing change is possible. There are a couple of MSP connections leaving LAX early, but unclear whether the change fee would beat a expedited delivery service.
You can't checkin for the domestic segment without the passport.
dls25, CPMaverick, jhartvu and 9 others like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 8:49 am

You could also try UPS express critical, have seen it used for computer parts. UPS Express Critical
Old Dec 26, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Seems outlandish, but I wonder if Delta would allow a member of the crew to carry it for you on whatever flight is headed to LAX?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.