Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Walked and then Involuntarily Downgraded from Delta One

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2022, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott

Last night our flight was cancelled

We were then rebooked into coach for the subsequent day. Delta refuses to honor the first class tickets we have even though seats are shown online and is unwilling to

Is there anything that a Delta Diamond can do? The 800 diamond number is now just routing to call centers with inexperienced agents after an hour of holding.

Last edited by golfnerd; Mar 21, 2023 at 5:12 am
Old Dec 24, 2022, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by golfnerd
Last night our flight was cancelled from LAX-SYD with three confirmed first class seats. These were paid for 1 month ago before the flight.

The 8:00 flight was cancelled (after delays) and then all three of us were denied boarding on the later 10:35 PM flight.

We were then rebooked into coach for the subsequent day. Delta refuses to honor the first class tickets we have even though seats are shown online and is unwilling to

Is there anything that a Delta Diamond can do? The 800 diamond number is now just routing to call centers with inexperienced agents after an hour of holding.

This is terrible. A 15 hour flight in coach after paying for first, and we're sorta stuck because of how much we've already paid for the vacation.

Ugh, probably the worst airline experience I've ever had. And I've been downgraded for little two hour flights but not a 15 hour delta 1, after being denied boarding a second time.

Help! I've written customer care and Delta is now just a loop into call centers.
What was the reason for the denied boarding?

You may have been accommodated in main cabin due to business class being full on the subsequent day flight. There are no first class cabin for Delta international flights.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

No reason was provided for denied boarding. They are likely overbooked for Delta One on the third flights, but the flight/class was already paid for. This would therefore be the third time that we are being denied our class of service on one route!

The value of being a Diamond is very much diminished to say the least. Downgrades/denied boarding and no CS.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Was the cancellation Delta's fault? If so go to the airport and ask the ticket agent to rebook you on another airline.

Or even if that's not the case, just go to Delta One check-in at LAX and have them try to fix it. Going to the airport is always a good backup if the phone agents can't fix it.
jj243, becks1 and FabCW like this.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
How did you pay for D1? GUC? Miles? Cash?
Old Dec 24, 2022, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
How did you pay for D1? GUC? Miles? Cash?
so it was a combo of cash, flight credits and points. That shouldn’t matter. It wasn’t some complementary upgrade.

Im just going to go the airport. After trying for nearly 12 hours to get through to a helpful agent it’s so maddening.

lesson learned: delta is beyond shady
smartytravel likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Was the cancellation Delta's fault? If so go to the airport and ask the ticket agent to rebook you on another airline.

Or even if that's not the case, just go to Delta One check-in at LAX and have them try to fix it. Going to the airport is always a good backup if the phone agents can't fix it.
the reason for the first flight was mechanical then plane change, it didn’t make sense and all the emails showing crazy flight changes/times etc indicated a serious it or human error because it was all contradictory.

the second flight, no room.

another airline: won’t do it.

third flight: no room again but can’t get ahold of CS.

so this’ll actually be my fourth attempt to catch a flight, one cancel, two denials and then a downgrade after a 29 hr layover.

id have to think this is not normal
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

I’m starting to think that the logic of if you say “paid 400k mikes pp for the comfort plus to delta one flight” and if the original flight is cancelled they then back out the paid upgrade portion.

incompetent and shady
Old Dec 24, 2022, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
the reason for the first flight was mechanical then plane change, it didn’t make sense and all the emails showing crazy flight changes/times etc indicated a serious it or human error because it was all contradictory.

the second flight, no room.

another airline: won’t do it.

third flight: no room again but can’t get ahold of CS.

so this’ll actually be my fourth attempt to catch a flight, one cancel, two denials and then a downgrade after a 29 hr layover.

id have to think this is not normal
Christmas time is busy + all of the IRROPS across the country + pent up demand.

You attempted boarding the flight but were denied boarding. Delta wouldn't tell you why. If you were boarding the flight, what cabin - Y? It seemed like you didn't want to be in Y, which I would agree, given you paid for J.

I am unable to connect the dots, if you didn't want to be re-accomodated in Y, then why were you boarding? If there are no space in J, that's NOT denied boarding.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Christmas time is busy + all of the IRROPS across the country + pent up demand.

You attempted boarding the flight but were denied boarding. Delta wouldn't tell you why. If you were boarding the flight, what cabin - Y? It seemed like you didn't want to be in Y, which I would agree, given you paid for J.

I am unable to connect the dots, if you didn't want to be re-accomodated in Y, then why were you boarding? If there are no space in J, that's NOT denied boarding.
Also, it's not denied boarding if not confirmed on second flight. Denied boarding does not apply in either IRROPs situations (where flight is cancelled and you don't have a confirmed seat on a new flight) nor in downgrade situations where they don't have seats in your class of service, but they do in lower class of service. One is certainly entitled to downgrade compensation if you accept coach seat on new flight, but not DOT IDB compensation.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

I was circumspect on some things, but here are a few resolutions/observations when it's all said and done.

1. Delta Agents/reservations/not sure the titles lied a lot about the rules. Know the T&C's and push hard. Do not trust them, and if you ask them to cite what they are saying do not expect a truthful answer.
2. So for the first denied boarding, I was okayed in Y (despite paying J) while my wife/son were not provided seats, so splitting up would be ludicrous. We were all traveling together, all in J. As a result, we were then told that since I did not take the Y seat and leave my wife and young son alone, that therefore we were ALL not allowed to book a new flight with a different carrier.
3. On the new forcibly rebooked flight, since the upgrade was initially purchased with miles the "excuse: was "it's an upgrade" so therefore you cannot be in J since it's "complimentary" which it was NOT. So if you upgrade after the fact with miles/$ they've tried to create a loophole to deny said product if there are hiccups in the initial flight. In short, the only true J is if it is booked all together in cash or points, and that a later upgrade via cash, points or a certificate means nothing. This is what I was told.

After like 10 hours of calls/hold times I made it through to an actual diamond agent who immediately booked 2 of us into J and the 3 is pending since there may not be a seat. They understand that the rules will require a full refund of the difference in fares on the booking day. My assumption is that they will try to weasel out of this and ignore me.

to see that Delta was entirely comfortable making so many lies, errors and whatevers,, I think the value of the Diamond status is greatly diminished as there's just limited accountability to play by the rules and when push came to shove I really found myself unable to connect with any agent last night when we really needed help in order to catch the two flights we "should have" been on. I suspect that unless you are Delta 360, you can really find yourself SOL and no different than a gold member in crunch times--do not depend on them helping even if they have in the past.

Will the fourth flight make it? Hope so.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 8:07 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Last night our flight was cancelled from LAX-SYD with three confirmed first class seats. These were paid for 1 month ago before the flight.

The 8:00 flight was cancelled (after delays) and then all three of us were denied boarding on the later 10:35 PM flight.

This is terrible. A 15 hour flight in coach after paying for first, and we're sorta stuck because of how much we've already paid for the vacation.

Ugh, probably the worst airline experience I've ever had. And I've been downgraded for little two hour flights but not a 15 hour delta 1, after being denied boarding a second time.

Help! I've written customer care and Delta is now just a loop into call centers.
I understand this sucks. I missed a flight to see my grandmother home due to the snow for Christmas. She’s held on the last two years and it’s my first chance to see her since COVID for the holidays. Sucks she probably won’t make another holiday.

I hope you make it to Australia.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Dec 24, 2022, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL43 20:55 06:50
DL41 22:35 08:35
Any idea why were you denied boarding? No business class D1 seats?
Seat maps/seat allocations are not the same as seat sales

https://www.sydney-airport.net/syd-a...elta-air-lines

so it was a combo of cash, flight credits and points. That shouldn’t matter. It wasn’t some complementary upgrade.

Im just going to go the airport. After trying for nearly 12 hours to get through to a helpful agent it’s so maddening.

lesson learned: delta is beyond shady
Upgrade with points/ff miles?
Originally purchased as D1?

Edit
3. On the new forcibly rebooked flight, since the upgrade was initially purchased with miles the "excuse: was "it's an upgrade" so therefore you cannot be in J since it's "complimentary" which it was NOT. So if you upgrade after the fact with miles/$ they've tried to create a loophole to deny said product if there are hiccups in the initial flight. In short, the only true J is if it is booked all together in cash or points, and that a later upgrade via cash, points or a certificate means nothing. This is what I was told.
So an upgrade. Would expect the cost of the freq flyer upgrade to be refunded.
Another airline (QF AA UA) will not fly you business class when coach/economy premium economy was purchased from DL.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 24, 2022 at 8:42 pm Reason: ecoonon to premium economy
Old Dec 24, 2022, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

No I don’t know why we didn’t make the second flight. Probably just someone with limited training.

I’m sure tons of ppl were denied on that flight with the earlier cancellation, but I’d guess there were not a lot of j customers with status denied.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.