Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Question about a schedule change on an Award ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2022, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond

I originally booked the nonstop flight Boston to Phoenix on 8/19/23 using award miles. This flight was nonstop and left at 7am. My flight has now changed to depart at 7:59pm, more than a 12 hour schedule change. I called to request an earlier flight out (of course that would be a connecting flight). I was just informed that you have to accept a schedule change on award tickets and they will not move me to an earlier flight. Is this accurate?
Old Dec 17, 2022, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I originally booked the nonstop flight Boston to Phoenix on 8/19/23 using award miles. This flight was nonstop and left at 7am. My flight has now changed to depart at 7:59pm, more than a 12 hour schedule change. I called to request an earlier flight out (of course that would be a connecting flight). I was just informed that you have to accept a schedule change on award tickets and they will not move me to an earlier flight. Is this accurate?
For DL operated flights booked with DL miles that is not accurate**. You got an uninformed agent. You may even be able to manage the reservation/schedule change online without needing to call but if not, call and hopefully get a more informed agent who will make the change to an itinerary that is more acceptable to you.

**For future reference, you may not always have the same position with DL awards booked on partners as DL cannot force the partner to open space on the partner operated flights so you may be “stuck” with the new schedule. The same may be true if you use another program’s miles to book a DL operated award flight where that program cannot force DL to open award space.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 9:03 am

No, that is not accurate. Hang up and call again. With that much of a schedule change, they should move you to any flight you want, within reason. The problem is that most of the new agents can't do anything other than look at what you can see for yourself on Delta.com. It took me 5 calls before I got an agent who could get me added to an upgrade list (which has been buggy for months now), and don't get me started about how terrible the texting agents are. One of those agents added me to a Standby list for a flight that I was already confirmed on.

Source: My award flights are in the process of being changed to different airports for the nth time, as Delta keeps cutting flights.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would second suggestion of just attempting to change online. I was able to change an award flight online recently after a significant schedule change and was able to change to alternate flights with no difference in mileage (even though they were different mileage amounts if you attempted to book a new trip on them). You might also want to try the online chat function on website if that doesn't work. I have had decent success with them on recent issues.
rashodw likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
today is Schedule Change Saturday … let the system percolate until Mon and then try to resolve to your satisfaction

note also that there will likely be three or four more changes between now and late June / early July (which is when the mid-August schedules should be ~98% firm)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
today is Schedule Change Saturday … let the system percolate until Mon and then try to resolve to your satisfaction

note also that there will likely be three or four more changes between now and late June / early July (which is when the mid-August schedules should be ~98% firm)
I know there is no crisis right now. So, I will wait and call back.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
I would second suggestion of just attempting to change online. I was able to change an award flight online recently after a significant schedule change and was able to change to alternate flights with no difference in mileage (even though they were different mileage amounts if you attempted to book a new trip on them). You might also want to try the online chat function on website if that doesn't work. I have had decent success with them on recent issues.
The website and app are not letting me change anything. I will wait a few days and call again. If by online chat you meaning texting through my cell phone, I tried that and the person said the same thing. Award tickets cannot be changed only cancelled and rebooked. No exceptions.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: DL DM
The website and app are not letting me change anything. I will wait a few days and call again. If by online chat you meaning texting through my cell phone, I tried that and the person said the same thing. Award tickets cannot be changed only cancelled and rebooked. No exceptions.
If you ever get an agent that incompetent, you need to immediately escalate to a supervisor and ask them to review the call or chat for a training opportunity. That level of agent misinformation is unacceptable. You most certainly can change DL award tickets assuming all was booked through DL and it’s on DL metal.

Last edited by GagaPilot; Dec 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
Old Dec 17, 2022, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note that this could just be because Saturday changes are still in progress. It can take awhile for everything to settle down. The website has a built-in chat function under the Contact Us page. It's probably best to search on website for alternate flight options and suggest to agents one or more that have some sort of open availability.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 11:42 am

I have changed quite a few reward tickets subsequent to schedule changes via the chat. First look at the current schedule and find the best option for your flight, then push them to put you on that flight.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
You can absolutely change award tickets to a similar routing with no price change if you have a significant schedule change if they're a DL ticket on DL metal. Misinformed agents. HUCB, ask for a supervisor, this is a DOT rule.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry to be blunt, but something sounds off here if multiple agents are actually saying "no exceptions" to a complementary change with a 12 hour schedule change (I can't say I've personally experienced anything like that). I wouldn't expect that much pushback if requesting reasonable options. However, something like demanding a D1 routing on an FC award might not get hoped for results.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
Sorry to be blunt, but something sounds off here if multiple agents are actually saying "no exceptions" to a complementary change with a 12 hour schedule change (I can't say I've personally experienced anything like that). I wouldn't expect that much pushback if requesting reasonable options. However, something like demanding a D1 routing on an FC award might not get hoped for results.
Check the website. There are no D1 routings to Phoenix (from any city). I have no status with Delta. I suspect most people who book award tickets are elites and are treated differently than common folk to be honest. I think accepting a 12-13 hour schedule change because it is an award ticket is unacceptable. I might simply cancel and move on or I might fight this for months. Haven't decided how many hours I want to put into this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 1:29 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Check the website. There are no D1 routings to Phoenix (from any city). I have no status with Delta. I suspect most people who book award tickets are elites and are treated differently than common folk to be honest. I think accepting a 12-13 hour schedule change because it is an award ticket is unacceptable. I might simply cancel and move on or I might fight this for months. Haven't decided how many hours I want to put into this.
Yes, customers with status ARE treated differently. But this is a standard policy thing.

decide what flight you want, call back on Monday (you get the crappiest agents on the weekend).

tell them this:

”hi my name is xxxxxx, and I was notified of a schedule change greater than 2 hours for my flight on 8/13. Confirmation number is xxxx. I would like to make a change to flight number yyyy connecting on flight zzzz per the policy regarding delta-initiated schedule changes.”
ChinaShrek likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 1:31 pm

I haven't had any DL status since they parted ways with AS. The ability to change award tickets has nothing to do with status. Where my experience differs from others is getting any type of constructive help at all from the chat agents.

I usually start with the chat, and either get completely wrong or nonsensical answers or am.told I have to call. Inevitably the first agent I talk to is just as unhelpful, but they will eventually transfer me to someone who can help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.