Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

JNB to ATL Flights Cancelled the Last 2 days

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2022, 3:23 pm
Formerly known as scootr29
Original Poster

Does anyone know whats going on….

Both Nov 11/12 Flights have been cancelled.

Looks like 1 flights headed to JNB from ATL right now and it left early afternoon.

Flight #200A/9900
Old Nov 11, 2022, 5:17 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
ATL-JNB was cancelled/delayed 11/10 for hurricane Nicole. One plane too off today at 1:53 as DAL9900 and a second at 6:33p as DAL200.

Last edited by emma dog; Nov 11, 2022 at 5:24 pm
Old Nov 11, 2022, 5:43 pm
Formerly known as scootr29
Original Poster

Looks like there are 3 A350s all headed to JNB right now….never seen that before.

DL200

DL200A

DL9900
Old Nov 11, 2022, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by SSF556
Looks like there are 3 A350s all headed to JNB right now….never seen that before.

DL200

DL200A

DL9900
DL200A looks like a glitch, not an actual flight. Just two planes.
emma dog likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 2:11 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
This is not hurricane Nicole related. Anytime that flight cancels in Atlanta going down there, if you run an extra section, it literally results in 3+ days of IROP hell for JNB coming back, because of crew rest. Yeah, it really takes that many days to get "caught up."

You have to figure out the earliest the crew on layover in JNB will be legal to go (based on their required rest), then make sure JNB station can handle the departure at that time, AND make sure ATL customs can handle the arrival based on that time. If either can't make it work, go to the next available time and repeat the question for the other parties. Eventually the crew piece meters itself out after about 72 hours. But the A350 fleet will be hanging by a thread until that happens. It is a LOT of net delay ingested into the fleet when this cancellation happens.

201/11, 201/12, and 201/13 have all "cancelled" (but really are just delayed, and rebuilt as 99XX-series extra sections for automation purposes).

The "200A" is just an ATC callsign change so you don't have to get overflight permits for a new 9900-series flight number. Even though the underlying flight is 9900, which is what the pax were rebooked onto what shows up in Delta FLIFO. Its just 1 airplane.
SSF556, mayhem, krzysz and 7 others like this.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Nicole was in the flight path. The delay allowed the storm and winds to be favorable for the flight.

Look at the timing if you don’t believe me.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog
Nicole was in the flight path. The delay allowed the storm and winds to be favorable for the flight.

Look at the timing if you don’t believe me.
Again, the cancellation wasn't Nicole-related.

<stamps foot>
Old Nov 12, 2022, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
Again, the cancellation wasn't Nicole-related.

<stamps foot>
So, rather than repeating that over and over, can you tell us WHY it WAS cancelled?
andrewk829 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 10:22 pm

respectfully no, because I don't want to be on the wrong end of some Delta inquisition for releasing company proprietary information (insofar as a cancellation code might be considered such. I know UA posts operation reasons for delays and cancels on their app. We don't).

The thread was about successive cancellations exit JNB, which I tried to demonstrate why that unfolded like it has this week, when even one inbound flight gets screwed up. the inbound cancellation reason is really academic, because the result is the same. Every station has their week in the frying pan, and this week it's JNB's turn.

Appreciate your understanding.
Keith2004, krzysz, SSF556 and 8 others like this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 10:25 am

Anyone know what happened to DL200 last night? Looks like maybe a mechanical issue that required them to turn around? Mostly asking because I'm scheduled to be on that flight tomorrow so I'm curious what's going on.

Thanks for any insights!
Old Dec 18, 2022, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by rdukrk
Anyone know what happened to DL200 last night? Looks like maybe a mechanical issue that required them to turn around? Mostly asking because I'm scheduled to be on that flight tomorrow so I'm curious what's going on.

Thanks for any insights!
Wow. That is a bad place to turn around. Looking forward to hearing what triggered that turn-back.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
respectfully no, because I don't want to be on the wrong end of some Delta inquisition for releasing company proprietary information (insofar as a cancellation code might be considered such. I know UA posts operation reasons for delays and cancels on their app. We don't).
I don’t know if you’re serious or joking, but tens of thousands of people (including every DL emp who has DLmatic access) have access to the reason codes. Just because they choose not to post it on the website doesn’t mean it’s proprietary.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by rdukrk
Anyone know what happened to DL200 last night? Looks like maybe a mechanical issue that required them to turn around?
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Wow. That is a bad place to turn around. Looking forward to hearing what triggered that turn-back.
if I had to guess, failure of a dispatch-critical item that their maintenance contractor didn’t (or wouldn’t be able to) have available at JNB
doubleA likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Wow 11 hour flight to nowhere. Thats a really really expensive diversion and cancellation, even before you take into account the hotels, compensation etc that will be going to pax.
doubleA and dmarge18 like this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Seems alike ongoing operational issues for this particular route!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.