Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can Linked reservations request complementary upgrade?

Old Oct 30, 2022, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM,Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat

Hi Guys, I have 2 questions

I have an upcoming reservation, LAX-JFK-SJU on Friday night Jan 2023. For LAX-JFK leg I already have RGU on waltlist.
My sister is joining me the trip from JFK-SJU. Same flight. Both tickets are award tickets issiued from my account. We booked 2 separate reservations but has been linked. LAX-JFK-SJU for me, JFK-SJU for her. And I am platinum medallion. My sister is just a basic member.
Question 1:
Am I able to request complementary upgrade for my sister? As of now, I am able to seclet Preferred Seat for her. Not C+ seat
When it comes to the day of departure, will she able to be on the upgrade list?

Question 2:
Due to the miles avaliable on VS, the reture flight I am trying to book SJU-JFK with VS miles on Delta, for 2 of us together. Then JFK-LAX leg I will book separately for myself.
I should have no problem to ask Delta Rep to replace my VS frequent# back to DL, right? I should not lose any of my PM benefit for DL fight book from VS, right? (Well, specificly I mean we can both be on the complementary upgrade list)
SJU-JFK we can choose Friday 8am or Saturday 8am/2pm . Which one is likely less busy? (More chances to updrade)

Thanks for answering in advance.

Updated:

I called Delta Rep 2 times today, being told 2 different answers:

Answer 1: From Delta Singapore Call Center Chinese line
Linked reservations request complementary upgrade only applys to US 48 Continental States. Alaska, Hiwaii, Puerto Rico not included. So the lady says she cannot click the "First Class upgrade request " for my sister.

Answer 2: US Platinum Line in English
Linked reservations request complementary upgrade applys to US domestic flight, Mexico, Canda, Caribbean Sea,Central America. Basically except for long hual international flights. She believes I should able to click the "First Class upgrade request " for my sister. However, she cannot do that as well. She put me on hold for 20 mins, and asked the other department. And came back telling me , that is the IT error, and she cannot do anything at this monent. She suggested me to call back later. Or on my next flight, go the the Skyclub Agent ask them for help.

Totally 2 different answer. I am confused now. Lol.

Last edited by Frank_Mao; Oct 31, 2022 at 11:04 pm Reason: info correction
Old Oct 30, 2022, 10:19 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam
For the DL metal flights anyway- yes, linking reservations grants domestic upgrade possibilities. If your sister is a Medallion member, she will clear at her Medallion level. If she is not a Medallion member, she will clear at your level. It doesn't make a lot of sense but that's the way it is for DL metal domestically.

On your second question, I am not sure why not. You could book a ticket for a stranger and they could put their Delta Skymiles account in for accrual.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by doubleA
For the DL metal flights anyway- yes, linking reservations grants domestic upgrade possibilities. If your sister is a Medallion member, she will clear at her Medallion level. If she is not a Medallion member, she will clear at your level. It doesn't make a lot of sense but that's the way it is for DL metal domestically.

On your second question, I am not sure why not. You could book a ticket for a stranger and they could put their Delta Skymiles account in for accrual.

Thanks for answering. My sister is just a regular member. So hopefully she can clear at my lever. I am guessing not too many medallions on that route.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 10:52 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Frank_Mao
Question 2:
Due to the miles avaliable on VS, the reture flight I am trying to book SJU-JFK with VS miles on Delta, for 2 of us together. Then JFK-LAX leg I will book separately for myself.
I should have no problem to ask Delta Rep to replace my VS frequent# back to DL, right? I should not lose any of my PM benefit for DL fight book from VS, right? (Well, specificly I mean we can both be on the complementary upgrade list)
Originally Posted by doubleA
On a cash ticket this would be no problem. On an award ticket, many programs require you to use the membership number of the program whose currency you are redeeming for the award and it may not be possible to change it. I don't know about VS though, so it may work.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 12:09 pm

Make sure it actually is linked because I have only ever had problems with this. Also, linked can't complimentary upgrade into C+, only into First/D1.
doubleA likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I thought linked PNR’s can only have the “guest” be EUA’d at T-24. Is this not true? A linked PNR can get an UG at 5 days for a DM?

Last edited by mnredfox; Nov 1, 2022 at 11:21 pm
Old Oct 31, 2022, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
You can but my understanding has always been that when it’s two separate PNRs that are linked, you can’t clear until DoD and the second person will be on the list at their status level (so bottom if just a member).

That said I have gotten to the gate early in such a scenario and the gate agent did something so that she appeared right after me as if we were on the same reservation instead of linked reservations (I was on a work ticket and so had to book hers separately).

This was in 2019 (and we actually cleared the SEA - RDU into F) so not sure if they’ve changed something to prevent a GA doing that these days
Old Oct 31, 2022, 2:41 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades

under "Complimentary Upgrades with Companions", the example scenario actually matches OP's exactly

If you and your companion are in different paid ticket reservations that have been linked, upgrades to U.S. 50 domestic Delta One, First Class and Delta Comfort+ work a little differently:
  • For domestic Delta One and First Class, your upgrades will clear based on your individual Member Status and confirmation windows, if available. For example, if Platinum and Silver Medallion Members are traveling together, the Platinum Medallion Member will clear at the Platinum window and the Silver Medallion Member will clear at the Silver window. If your companion is a General Member who does not have Medallion Status, their upgrade will clear at the clearing time of the Medallion Member’s Tier. For example, if a Platinum Medallion Member and a General Member are traveling together, both will clear at the Platinum window.
  • For Delta Comfort+, General SkyMiles Members are not eligible for Complimentary Upgrades. The Medallion Member will clear for their upgrade at their respective window.
doubleA likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Updated:

I called Delta Rep 2 times today, being told 2 different answers:

Answer 1: From Delta Singapore Call Center Chinese line
Linked reservations request complementary upgrade only applys to US 48 Continental States. Alaska, Hiwaii, Puerto Rico not included. So the lady says she cannot click the "First Class upgrade request " for my sister.

Answer 2: US Platinum Line in English
Linked reservations request complementary upgrade applys to US domestic flight, Mexico, Canda, Caribbean Sea,Central America. Basically except for long hual international flights. She believes I should able to click the "First Class upgrade request " for my sister. However, she cannot do that as well. She put me on hold for 20 mins, and asked the other department. And came back telling me , that is the IT error, and she cannot do anything at this monent. She suggested me to call back later. Or on my next flight, go the the Skyclub Agent ask them for help.

Totally 2 different answer. I am confused now. Lol.

Last edited by Frank_Mao; Oct 31, 2022 at 11:04 pm
Old Oct 31, 2022, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades

under "Complimentary Upgrades with Companions", the example scenario actually matches OP's exactly

Delta website only says paid tickets. Does not mention award ticket. Will that be different?
Old Oct 31, 2022, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
Make sure it actually is linked because I have only ever had problems with this. Also, linked can't complimentary upgrade into C+, only into First/D1.

Linked can only upgrade into First/D1, got it. Thanks a lot.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 11:56 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam
Originally Posted by Duke787
You can but my understanding has always been that when it’s two separate PNRs that are linked, you can’t clear until DoD and the second person will be on the list at their status level (so bottom if just a member).

That said I have gotten to the gate early in such a scenario and the gate agent did something so that she appeared right after me as if we were on the same reservation instead of linked reservations (I was on a work ticket and so had to book hers separately).

This was in 2019 (and we actually cleared the SEA - RDU into F) so not sure if they’ve changed something to prevent a GA doing that these days
A general SkyMiles member linked to a Medallion member reservation will clear at the Medallion level's priority (not sure if it clears ahead, by the Airport Standby List should be attached for General -> Medallion.) However, one big bummer of this is that if the linked companion is a Medallion member (say Silver...) they will clear at their own level. So in this scenario of 2 PNRs it's better to be a nobody than a somebody for the purposes of an upgrade.

EDIT: Just saw the T&C quote above - looks like they should clear together. OP, if you clear ahead of time, and she doesn't give em a call ASAP.

Last edited by doubleA; Nov 1, 2022 at 12:01 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.