Wiki Posts
Search

Flight departed with one empty F seat!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2022, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Flight departed with one empty F seat!

I flew DCA-DTW on Saturday in the first row of C+. After boarding was complete, the GA came on and asked the pax next to me if he wanted to upgrade to F. Since he was not traveling alone, he declined the upgrade. GA left the plane and never came back to ask anyone else, and there were 20+ people on the upgrade list. So the flight departed with one empty seat in F. Since I was sitting right there I almost said "I'll take it if he doesn't want it!' but kept quiet. Several others were above me on that list.
andrewk829 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems that GAs often don't even bother to offer an upgrade when there are open FC seats. As the saying goes, YBYL. Can be worth hanging out at the gate until last minute in these cases (although you should also consider checking luggage so you won't have to worry about bin space if you want to attempt this).
Old Oct 31, 2022, 6:30 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I flew DCA-DTW on Saturday in the first row of C+. After boarding was complete, the GA came on and asked the pax next to me if he wanted to upgrade to F. Since he was not traveling alone, he declined the upgrade. GA left the plane and never came back to ask anyone else, and there were 20+ people on the upgrade list. So the flight departed with one empty seat in F. Since I was sitting right there I almost said "I'll take it if he doesn't want it!' but kept quiet. Several others were above me on that list.
At some point, the agent has to make a call whether it's worth proceeding down the list and up and down the plane at risk of delaying the flight. Given that it is a 405 mile flight, I hope everyone was okay without a real glass
Old Oct 31, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Adam1222
At some point, the agent has to make a call whether it's worth proceeding down the list and up and down the plane at risk of delaying the flight. Given that it is a 405 mile flight, I hope everyone was okay without a real glass
Yeah, this can be a tough one. If the GA is just straight up lazy and doesn't bother processing upgrades as per normal before boarding, that's unacceptable. However, I've had a few cases that have been on the margin where the GA just hasn't had a chance to fill an empty seat.

Last December, I was flying JFK-SJU, F showed 0 seats in the app before boarding, probably 20+ on the upgrade list. However, I guess 1 F seat ended up empty, and at T-2, the GA was going up and down the Y cabin looking at his manifest, trying to find a "singleton" (as I heard him comment to the F/A) who was willing to take the upgrade. He eventually said to her, "Okay, I've got to close the door, we'll have to leave it empty." Sure, he probably could've kept going down the list to fill the seat, but we were almost at D0 - so I can't blame him for having to give up and keep things moving so that we pushed on time.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 7:16 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
In my experience, gate agents have a lot of discretion when it comes to processing upgrades near D-15. Some care more than others and a lot just close the door.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
This definitely seems to be a DL thing. I had an empty seat next to me this year with plenty of people on the list.
unitedbusiness likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
We had 2 empty F seats ATL-VPS last Friday (and a normal 30 or so on the list). No one really complained since we'd had to board manually with the scanner down, and the GA just basically tried to get us out ASAP.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
As someone who only travels paid F in the US, I really dislike the ‘upgrade until the cabin is full’ approach of many US carriers. I know upgrades have historically been part of elite status, but it reduces the inherent value proposition of the F cabin IMHO.
Keystone likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by krispy84
As someone who only travels paid F in the US, I really dislike the ‘upgrade until the cabin is full’ approach of many US carriers. I know upgrades have historically been part of elite status, but it reduces the inherent value proposition of the F cabin IMHO.
I will happily take an effective discount on my tickets in exchange for having a seatmate. Kind of the entire point of the cabin is that the seats are actually comfortably sized so other pax aren't an issue.
hockeystl, cre95 and jhartvu like this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
Just like predeparture beverages and excellent cabin service, it's a crapshoot as to whether or not gate agents take the time to fill the F cabin. The process has improved over the years but I've still seen F go out empty when there's a waiting list and no delay. I always write to Customer Care when I see it happen, typically when I've been lucky enough to receive an upgrade and have a view of the cabin.
doubleA likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I fail to understand how your experience is somehow degraded if the F cabin is full because it's filled with paying FC passengers (as is the case for many US flights nowadays, particularly transcon-length flights) or because it's filled with complimentary upgrades to elite members.
ijgordon, hockeystl, cre95 and 8 others like this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I fail to understand how your experience is somehow degraded if the F cabin is full because it's filled with paying FC passengers (as is the case for many US flights nowadays, particularly transcon-length flights) or because it's filled with complimentary upgrades to elite members.
The value proposition of a product is reduced if you routinely give it away free. That is marketing 101.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
The value proposition of a product is reduced if you routinely give it away free. That is marketing 101.
Perhaps in terms of willingness to pay, but that's DL's problem for revenue generation - not something a pax would care about. Otherwise, F is the same no matter if the cabin is full of paid pax or all upgrades.

I guess sure, maybe if there's some empty seats, the F/A could be a bit quicker about getting food/snacks and drink refills to you, but it delays drinks/tray distribution & collection maybe by a couple minutes at most if F is full vs. partially empty.
findark, golfr and ATOBTTR like this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
It's not "free" - it comes at exchange for continued $$$$ being spent. It's an incentive for me to regularly choose Airline X over Airline Y when many other factors between X and Y are equal or perhaps otherwise even in favor of Airline Y, which in turn is a benefit to Airline X. FT and similar sites and the elite status programs themselves are proof that a not insignificant number of passengers will go to great lengths and go out of their way to take an airline where they get "free" perks over one that otherwise may be more convenient, cheaper, etc. That's also a key part of marketing.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Oct 31, 2022 at 4:21 pm
Old Oct 31, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
You should have spoken up, Cannot hurt.

The GA may very well have decided it was not worth the time chase #2 down,. But if you were packed and ready to go, ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.