Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

XFR in AMS - Non-Schengen to Non-Schengen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2022, 8:28 am
CDF
Original Poster

Location: Michigan, DL Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Gold

Good morning,

I have a quick question that hopefully someone can answer. My apologies if this has been asked before. I have a trip coming up from DTW - AMS - BHX. When arriving in AMS, will I still need to go through passport control if I'm transferring to BHX (Birmingham, UK), a non-Schengen country? Basically, if I'm transferring from a non-Schengen country to a non-Schengen country, will I need to go through passport control or do I just stay in the tranfer hall to make the connection?

Thanks and safe travels!
Old Oct 20, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: FB Gold
In your case, no contrôle passport as you are not entering the espace Schengen. Just go to your next flight/gate ; no transfer security for inbound flights from DTW.
ty97 and Shinyobjects like this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
As mlin32 said above. This will be a really easy transfer at AMS.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 9:13 am
CDF
Original Poster

Location: Michigan, DL Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Gold
Thanks! That makes my life easier given the issues they've had at Schipol with delays at security and passport control Take care!
ty97 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by CDF
Thanks! That makes my life easier given the issues they've had at Schipol with delays at security and passport control Take care!
I flew DTW-AMS-BER last month, and early morning passport control to get into the Schengen flights area was not bad. Only about 15 minutes or so.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL PM
Even if you're going to a Schengen zone, I can also attest that the passport control is not horrible (and they prioritize passengers with tighter connections.)
But for your connection, enjoy the Non-schengen crown lounge, if you have the time.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I flew DTW-AMS-BER last month, and early morning passport control to get into the Schengen flights area was not bad. Only about 15 minutes or so.
No line when I transferred US to Zurich last week but when I took a look on my way back to the US there was a line that looked fairly long. Passport control for me was maybe 10 minutes back to the US. The line for the arrivals hall both times was into the terminal so that couldn’t have been fun.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I landed at AMS on 10/5 and started back to the USA there on 10/18. While not germane to the question you asked, it took 30 minutes to clear immigration and custums to enter The Netherlands. The Marechausee border police did not require us to show our proof of vaccination (which we had with us just in case).

During your layover in AMS, if you are able to do so, please do yourself a favor and go into KLM's Crown Lounge 52, in proximity to the entrance to concourse F. KLM has done a terrific job with this, and the lounge is big, has many different sitting areas, and good food (we got a full English breakfast buffet on 10/18). No more self-service alcohol, however; the bar on the upper floor of the club does not open until 7:00 a.m., even though the club itself opens in the 5 am hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.