Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Possible to Book Basic Economy Outbound and Main Cabin Back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2022, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

I was looking online at some international itineraries on delta.com and it appears that it is not possible to book basic economy in one direction and main cabin in the other.

Can that be overridden by an agent, or is it just not possible to book a mixture like that?
Old Oct 19, 2022, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL DM
Since the most restricted fare governs the entire ticket (unless you book two one ways), if you could do it, the entire ticket would go by the basic economy rules, so there would be no point.
ijgordon and Shinyobjects like this.

Last edited by Mr. Tickets; Oct 20, 2022 at 8:20 am
Old Oct 19, 2022, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
nope; Basic can’t be combined with any other cabin (Main, C+, PS, F, D1) … you would have to book separate one-way tix
Old Oct 19, 2022, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't it true that BE fares require a RT purchase and can only be combined with other BE fares? I've never bought one, but this is my understanding of the rules.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't it true that BE fares require a RT purchase and can only be combined with other BE fares? I've never bought one, but this is my understanding of the rules.
No, Delta sells one way BE fares.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I was looking online at some international itineraries on delta.com and it appears that it is not possible to book basic economy in one direction and main cabin in the other.

Can that be overridden by an agent, or is it just not possible to book a mixture like that?
No, you cannot combine a Basic Economy fare with a non-Basic fare. It's in the fare rules.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Basic Economy does not need to be round-trip. However, yes, you must combine only BE fares.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
No, you cannot combine a Basic Economy fare with a non-Basic fare. It's in the fare rules.

Basic Economy does not need to be round-trip. However, yes, you must combine only BE fares.
To be clear, there are certain routes where the cheapest BE fares require a roundtrip purchase (and, as noted, there are also generally, but not always, BE fares with no roundtrip purchase requirements). On routes where cheapest BE fares require a roundtrip purchase, it may be cheaper to simply purchase roundtrip Main Cabin fares on one ticket instead separate tickets with BE one-way and Main one-way if you just want BE in one direction. For example, DTW-MSY is available for $278 in Main Cabin roundtrip when booking roundtrip fares. While booking cheapest one-way BE and one-way Main fares would be $159 + $189 = $348.

An example of a route where there are roundtrip BE fares, but no one-way BE fares is DTW-CHS. The cheapest one-way fares on DTW-CHS are $219 and are in Main Cabin (T basis). While there are BE fares on this route from $318 roundtrip (Main Cabin roundtrip fares start at $373 roundtrip).
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 20, 2022 at 12:50 pm
Old Oct 20, 2022, 10:26 pm

It is possible but you will need to use an actual human travel agent (not Delta) to accomplish this. I’ve seen it done.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is definitely not permitted by fare combination rules. "Unbundled" fares here is fare rule speak for Basic Economy fares.

In some cases, one-way BE fares can only be combined in a roundtrip A-B-A routing basis and can't be booked with an A-B-C multi-city routing. These only apply when attempting to combine fares on a single ticket. You can book fares on separate tickets to get around these rules.

Old Oct 25, 2022, 11:24 am
Original Poster

United Allows It

I know United is not Delta - but as a reference point, the United website allows BE in one direction and regular coach in the other direction (also allows one to buy seat selection at time of booking and any time thereafter.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I know United is not Delta - but as a reference point, the United website allows BE in one direction and regular coach in the other direction (also allows one to buy seat selection at time of booking and any time thereafter.
This is not accurate. United will not sell a mixed-Basic ticket. You may be ignoring this warning when you make such a selection, and also ignoring that the price of the "mixed" selection involved retroactively repricing the other segment. To avoid customer confusion, it's standard practice never to mix Basic fares with non-Basic fares.

Old Oct 25, 2022, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA has same fare combination restrictions on BE fares as DL BE fares. They go further than DL and say they can't even be combined when purchased on separate tickets. Although I doubt they would ever go after anyone for such combinations on separate tickets (other than potentially agents who do it repeatedly).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.