Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Weather Waiver for Hurricane Ian

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check

Anyone wanna make a bet on when they post a weather waiver for GCM? I got down here, checked into my hotel only to be told they would be closing the hotel at 5pm on Sunday out of the interest of safety for all guests. All other Marriott properties are closing as well so pretty much your on your own or leave the island. Delta has yet to post any sort of waiver to allow for changes.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lash yourself to a tree and hope for the best?
DLATL777, wrp96 and becks1 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL DM
Best thing is never travel to the Caribbean in hurricane season. They come up in a matter of days with little warning and there isn't much you can do.
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 5:21 pm

I'd say by tomorrow morning.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 5:26 pm

Programs: Waffle House DM
Hate to say this, but you may be in for a rough ride down there. The predicted track is still uncertain, but GCM is pretty much close to all of them. Some saving grace is it may not be up to Hurricane strength by then, bur even a Tropical Storm can pack a punch. Stay safe, start hoarding alcohol now is my advice...
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:18 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
They will probably post the waiver on Saturday or Sunday since the storm isn't scheduled to arrive until Monday morning. See if you can find an Airbnb and be safe.

I was in the DR for Fiona and they posted the waiver on Friday for my flight when the storm was scheduled for Sunday, but then the forecast changed, and they added a day on Saturday. So it was 18th and 19th for the travel waiver.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 1:21 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Delta already posted a waiver as of 6:44pm ET https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...etin-1---.html

FWIW, Delta Meteorology will usually coordinate to issue a waiver once a tropical storm/hurricane watch is issued. The 5PM ET advisory package by the National Hurricane Center had a hurricane watch for the Cayman Islands, so I guess it makes sense a weather waiver was issued soon after.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
#9 is now Tropical Storm Ian, soon to be a hurricane. Most tracks have the hurricane impacting the west coast of Florida come next Tuesday and Wednesday, affecting EYE, RSW, SRQ and TPA at a minimum. There is no doubt that further weather waivers will be forthcoming.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
I imagine some point today or tomorrow they'll likely add weather waivers for all of SF -- including east coast, which doesn't look like it is getting the storm, but will get winds I'm sure
Old Sep 24, 2022, 1:45 pm

Still no waiver issued but I was able to change a flight out of MCO from Thursday to Tuesday. Even exchange even though the Tuesday flight was only showing B and J available, I had an L fare with a cleared RUC, reissued ticket, and the agent moved me with no pushback at all and reissued a new ticket in OL.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
ATL could get hit late in the week.

RobertS975 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 8:23 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
The tracks of Ian keep trending towards the west with landfall possible anywhere from TPA to MOB, but clustered around PNS and PFN. But as was recently posted, there is a high probability that ATL operations are affected on or about next Friday and/or Saturday by tropical storm force winds and heavy rain

https://www.cyclocane.com/ian-spaghetti-models/
Old Sep 25, 2022, 8:02 pm

Waiver is now posted for 9/25 to 9/30 through all Florida airports. No ATL.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...ical-storm-ian
Old Sep 26, 2022, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Waiver is now posted for 9/25 to 9/30 through all Florida airports. No ATL.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...ical-storm-ian
We are scheduled to fly DL from CPH-JFK connecting to JFK-MCO on Wednesday, 28 Sep, arriving in MCO ca. 10:45 PM. This appears to be within the waiver period (fare difference waiver). We have a miles award business class flight. I checked availability to see options if we wanted to change dates, but for some dates between 29 Sep - 1 Oct, it is showing fare difference of 90K miles, and each day is only showing 1 seat available at that 'price.' We are not on the same PNR because we booked one ticket from each of our accounts.

First, I'm guessing that unless there is a significant change in the forecast between now and tomorrow night (or early Wed morning), we probably should just keep our dates as-is and hope for the best, assuming DL will redirect us if needed. Is that what most of you would do?

Alternatively, if by tomorrow night it looks like a pretty good chance of MCO being in the direct path, should we be proactive and try to change our flight by a few days? If so, as long as there are seats available, shouldn't this be with no fare difference (i.e. points difference)? Since we are on separate PNRs, would it be better to call in for this change rather than online? If we make the change to one ticket online, wouldn't we risk that there are not more seats for the second person to make the change if it is currently showing only 1 seat available at the fare? There are between 2 and 6 unassigned seats in business class between now and Oct 1 for the CPH-JFK leg.

Lastly, I guess it's possible we land at JFK and then the flight to MCO is cancelled. As DL Platinum (husband has no status) on a business class ticket, would DL accommodate us in a hotel? Or would we be on our own for this?
Old Sep 26, 2022, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by SusanDK
We are scheduled to fly DL from CPH-JFK connecting to JFK-MCO on Wednesday, 28 Sep, arriving in MCO ca. 10:45 PM. This appears to be within the waiver period (fare difference waiver). We have a miles award business class flight. I checked availability to see options if we wanted to change dates, but for some dates between 29 Sep - 1 Oct, it is showing fare difference of 90K miles, and each day is only showing 1 seat available at that 'price.' We are not on the same PNR because we booked one ticket from each of our accounts.

First, I'm guessing that unless there is a significant change in the forecast between now and tomorrow night (or early Wed morning), we probably should just keep our dates as-is and hope for the best, assuming DL will redirect us if needed. Is that what most of you would do?

Alternatively, if by tomorrow night it looks like a pretty good chance of MCO being in the direct path, should we be proactive and try to change our flight by a few days? If so, as long as there are seats available, shouldn't this be with no fare difference (i.e. points difference)? Since we are on separate PNRs, would it be better to call in for this change rather than online? If we make the change to one ticket online, wouldn't we risk that there are not more seats for the second person to make the change if it is currently showing only 1 seat available at the fare? There are between 2 and 6 unassigned seats in business class between now and Oct 1 for the CPH-JFK leg.

Lastly, I guess it's possible we land at JFK and then the flight to MCO is cancelled. As DL Platinum (husband has no status) on a business class ticket, would DL accommodate us in a hotel? Or would we be on our own for this?
You can make a free change now as long as 2 seats in the same class of service are available. No additional mileage cost. You might want to consider doing this before others decide to do so. Research your options first. Then call and tell them what you want to do.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Sep 26, 2022 at 8:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.