Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Digital ID vs Clear

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2022, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Delta owned 6 percent of Clear as of last quarter so not a huge stake.
Isn't that a lot less than several years ago? IIRC DL's investment some years earlier essentially rescued CLEAR from bankruptcy.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Delta owned 6 percent of Clear as of last quarter so not a huge stake.
CLEAR has a $3.6 billion market cap, so not a huge stake, but $216 million isn't something DL would want to just throw away to build their own digital ID product. Figure they would at least sell that stake first.
kthomas likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by steveholt
CLEAR has a $3.6 billion market cap, so not a huge stake, but $216 million isn't something DL would want to just throw away to build their own digital ID product. Figure they would at least sell that stake first.
Digital ID is a partnership with TSA. Only works if your passport is on file on reservation or you have a KTN.

Clear is available to anyone.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by flyerCO;[url=tel:34614767
34614767[/url]]Digital ID is a partnership with TSA. Only works if your passport is on file on reservation or you have a KTN.

Clear is available to anyone.
I’m not sure I understand this, at least in regards to my original post. The person asking for Digital ID pax was a Delta agent. They weren’t asking for any other airline pax. Maybe it’s possible that in Atlanta the only airline using the program is Delta?
Old Sep 20, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie
I hear you. But I can’t figure out why they are doing what they did. (And I overheard another pax say the same thing happened to him a few days prior.)
They're betting on multiple horses in the fast-screening race.
Not unusual.
(note they have both Airbus and Boeing aircraft, etc.)
Old Sep 20, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie
I’m not sure I understand this, at least in regards to my original post. The person asking for Digital ID pax was a Delta agent. They weren’t asking for any other airline pax. Maybe it’s possible that in Atlanta the only airline using the program is Delta?
Yes - or at least in their airports like ATL:
https://news.delta.com/delta-launche...ate-experience

They started with the video/photo for international, and pivoted to use it for TSA verification. Smart.

I can't find whether United is doing it (i.e. in IAH, ORD, or even EWR), nor others.
Although American has a "digital ID", not as advanced as video: https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...6/default.aspx
Old Sep 20, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
I can't seem to find a forum for CLEAR, but since we're talking about it I'll ask here.

Has something recently changed with how they process you? I flew a bunch in the late spring, took a few months off and am back in the air again, and I swear something is different. I recall always showing my boarding pass before but over the past few weeks on CVG-MCO-CVG, CVG-LAX-CVG and today CVG-JFK-ZRH they've just scanned my eyes and sent me past the TSA agent. Nobody has asked to see my BP which feels like it's a break from the past.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Weird. I could have sworn I had to show my BP at CVG a few weeks ago. I had to show it leaving ATL Sun and SFO today.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by photojojo
I can't seem to find a forum for CLEAR, but since we're talking about it I'll ask here.

Has something recently changed with how they process you? I flew a bunch in the late spring, took a few months off and am back in the air again, and I swear something is different. I recall always showing my boarding pass before but over the past few weeks on CVG-MCO-CVG, CVG-LAX-CVG and today CVG-JFK-ZRH they've just scanned my eyes and sent me past the TSA agent. Nobody has asked to see my BP which feels like it's a break from the past.
No. As long as system oulls up a BP, I've not been asked in awhile at most airports. However some they ask for it to show TSA. Most though just tell you to show yourself. It's really agent preference.

Only DL BPs are recognized by Clear system AFAIK. (in terms of the machine pulling up without scanning)
photojojo likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Originally Posted by flyerCO
No. As long as system oulls up a BP, I've not been asked in awhile at most airports. However some they ask for it to show TSA. Most though just tell you to show yourself. It's really agent preference.

Only DL BPs are recognized by Clear system AFAIK. (in terms of the machine pulling up without scanning)
Got it, okay. Something just felt different and I couldn't put my finger on it until LAX-CVG two days ago and then it was reinforced today.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 3:26 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
FWIW there's a Trusted Travelers forum on FT
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/

And a generic CLEAR thread

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

DL for quite a while, and later UA when they partnered with CLEAR also, has some integration where you no longer need to scan your BP at the CLEAR kiosk, usually -- there may be one offs (last second booking?) where it may not be in the system or something -- but in most cases once the kiosk recognizes you (whether eyes or fingers) it automatically pulls up your DL/UA flight info.

Separately, the TSA agent always (IME) needs to see your BP just to verify that you have Pre if you are entering via the Pre lane, even when using CLEAR.
flyerCO, photojojo and CrazyEddie like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
FWIW there's a Trusted Travelers forum on FT
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/

And a generic CLEAR thread

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Separately, the TSA agent always (IME) needs to see your BP just to verify that you have Pre if you are entering via the Pre lane, even when using CLEAR.
Hey hey! Thanks for those links. I did a few searches and just couldn't find anything. I'll follow those.

That last comment about the TSA is specifically what I'm referring too. I was astonished they didn't ask to see it and was wondering if they were accidents.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

If I wasn't clear above, this too has been my experience. Clear agent at the beginning of the line asks for BP to confirm TSA pre but the Clear rep doesn't ask to see the BP after the eye scan. TSA always subsequently asks to see BP, but I have no idea if they are really looking at it in any detail - for TSA pre or otherwise.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 10:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
The only advantage I have found with, and the only deployment I have seen of, the Delta Digital ID system at ATL is that you can go to the Digital ID bag check area on the lower level to check the bag, and it never has a line. Never. I have not seen Digital ID used in any other way.

I am unaware of any Digital ID bag check area on the main level of Terminal South, but perhaps there is one. Or will be one eventually.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:04 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
The only advantage I have found with, and the only deployment I have seen of, the Delta Digital ID system at ATL is that you can go to the Digital ID bag check area on the lower level to check the bag, and it never has a line. Never. I have not seen Digital ID used in any other way.

I am unaware of any Digital ID bag check area on the main level of Terminal South, but perhaps there is one. Or will be one eventually.
Yes you are correct regarding bag check. The security line is another component of the program. Check this out: https://news.delta.com/delta-reveals...lobby-bag-drop

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.