Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Mileage earn on partner-marketed flight operated by Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2022, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers

Looking at buying plane tickets for international travel at the end of the year - if I buy the ticket from a partner (e.g. Aeromexico or Air France), the ticket is not issued by Delta (ticket number doesn't begin with 006), and one or more flights in the itinerary is operated by Delta but marketed by the partner (e.g. AFXXXX or AMXXXX) - will the flights earn Delta mileage based on distance or price for the flight segments that are operated by Delta? Fare class is C.

Example:

Flight 1 is operated by Delta, is domestic, but marketed by the partner. The flight has a distance of X miles.
Flight 2 is operated by Delta, is international, but marketed by the partner. The flight has a distance of Y miles.
Flight 3 is operated and marketed by the partner and is international. The flight has a distance of Z miles.

Will the itinerary earn 0.4*(X+Y+Z) MQDs and 1.5*(X+Y+Z) MQMs?

Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2022, 3:42 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ab2013
Example:

Flight 1 is operated by Delta, is domestic, but marketed by the partner. The flight has a distance of X miles.
Flight 2 is operated by Delta, is international, but marketed by the partner. The flight has a distance of Y miles.
Flight 3 is operated and marketed by the partner and is international. The flight has a distance of Z miles.
All 3 of these flights will earn according to the partner chart, i.e. distance-based MQDs.

Originally Posted by ab2013
Will the itinerary earn 0.4*(X+Y+Z) MQDs and 1.5*(X+Y+Z) MQMs?
If the partner is AF/AM/KE/KL (and maybe others but those ones I'm sure of off the top of my head), then those numbers are correct. For other partners it might not be 40% for example, you'd have to check the chart to be sure: https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rline-partners

Also "operated by the partner" is fine, but noting for completeness that some partners market flights operated by other non-SkyTeam airlines; those flights would earn zero for everything when credited to DL (even if the other airline is a DL partner like Virgin Atlantic, e.g. AF-marketed VS-operated does not earn for DL)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note that AF site will sell DL marketed flights which will earn based on price, and not distance. These seem to be limited to non-stop, DL operated flights. Just don't assume you will always be getting AF marketed flights simply by pricing and buying them on their site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.