Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Senior needs help with using delta frequent flyer miles for booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Senior needs help with using delta frequent flyer miles for booking

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Mylisa , There has been a lot of great advice. Since you're taking a cruise, and your dates are fixed, I'd summarize the advice with these options.
1. It sounds like the idea of forcing connections with other airlines and buying individual tickets from one city to another (and the possibility of misconnects as well as baggage transfer) might be more hassle than you want on a dream trip like this.
2. You should call the cruise line and see if they offer any business class airfare additions to your cruise rate. Often the difference/discount make this the most affordable option. At least have the option first.
3. If you don't think you'll use the Delta miles soon domestically, your next option would be to use Pay With Miles to discount the flight either to Australia or home from New Zealand. To do this, you don't have to transfer any miles, you just log into your DL account, and when you go to book the tickets, choose the "Pay With Miles" option, and you select how many miles you want to use to reduce the cost of the ticket. You then pay for the difference with any credit card. To do this, you could book the two tickets separately from the two different Delta accounts (yours and your husbands) so you could use all of your miles and his to lower the price of travel for each. If you book them separately, call Delta afterward to have them "link" the two tickets together so they will know you are traveling together.
4. It sounds like a great trip, if this is all too much of a hassle, book business class with whatever airline has the right times to fly and just enjoy your trip. If you have any kids, I'm sure they would rather hear about your amazing trip than have the money in an inheritance!

Pet a kangaroo before you get on the boat!
Old Sep 11, 2022, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the summary. I am very willing to reduce the fare with my miles but when I go to the app and chose shop with miles and money it does not show any flights. Can you tell me if they limit the number of seats available for the miles and money selection? Is there a work around? Also, Korean Air has a flight and they are a Delta partner so can I use my miles with them and how do I do that since they are in a Delta account.

I also, as suggested, have a call into Oceania, the cruise line, to see what they offer. I think I have to pay a deviation fee as well so that we can fly in a few days early and stay a day longer at the end. But we’ll see what they have.

Separately, I would like to thank everyone for their comments and help. It is truly appreciated.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
from several levels down under “SkyMiles Program Benefits” on the DL app:

Pay With Miles is valid “ … only on Delta and Delta Connection® carrier-operated and ticketed flights booked at delta.com. Not available on other codeshare flights.”
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
After looking at the dates you are looking to travel, one way on Delta from ATL-SYD in Business is nearly $12K per ticket. And with no return on DL from AKL, you would still have to get a different flight home. That's a pretty high fare, even if you can offset some cost with Skymiles.

If you book a mult-city on United in Polaris, you can do the round trip ATL-SYD, AKL-ATL for about $12K per ticket, a much better price. For a 17 hour flight for the longest leg, this is probably a time when the expense might be worth it.

Last edited by paterwdb; Sep 11, 2022 at 5:07 pm
Old Sep 11, 2022, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Auckland = AKL

ACK = Nantucket MA
Old Sep 11, 2022, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by paterwdb
After looking at the dates you are looking to travel, one way on Delta from ATL-SYD in Business is nearly $12K per ticket. And with no return on DL from ACK, you would still have to get a different flight home. That's a pretty high fare, even if you can offset some cost with Skymiles.

If you book a mult-city on United in Polaris, you can do the round trip ATL-SYD, ACK-ATL for about $12K per ticket, a much better price. For a 17 hour flight for the longest leg, this is probably a time when the expense might be worth it.
I'm pretty sure that the OP's cruise ends in Auckland, New Zealand, not Nantucket, Massachusetts.

Edited to add: jrl767 beat me to the punch.

If the OP is going to have to pay upwards of $12K per ticket for Business Class, I'd suggest that she contact a good brick-and-mortar travel agency, and inquire about a oneworld or Star Alliance "Circle Pacific" Business Class ticket, if she and her husband are interested in seeing a little bit of Asia en route to Australia.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If OP or spouse has an AmEx Plat/Centurion card, call PTS/CTS and ask about their International Airfare Program. They sell discounted premium economy and business class plane tickets and should be able to put different carriers that interline with each other together onto an open jaw ticket.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mylisa
Thank you for the summary. I am very willing to reduce the fare with my miles but when I go to the app and chose shop with miles and money it does not show any flights.
Miles+Cash (which you likely mean by "miles and money") is not the same as Pay With Miles. To use Pay with Miles, you need to be logged into your account and search for normal cash fares which consists solely of Delta flights. Note that it is only available to the primary DL Amex cardholder. Pay with Miles option shows up near bottom of payment page for cash fares.

Old Sep 12, 2022, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Mylisa
Also, Korean Air has a flight and they are a Delta partner so can I use my miles with them and how do I do that since they are in a Delta account.
To be clear, each of ATL-ICN, ICN-SYD, AKL-ICN, and ICN-ATL in my post above is, of course, operated by Korean Air and is bookable with miles in your accounts with Delta. Moreover, please note that, using Pay with Miles, 430K miles would reduce your fare by $4,300, whereas, using the examples in my post above, you should be saving at least $12,000, i.e., the fare for one of you.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by UA Apologist
To be clear, each of ATL-ICN, ICN-SYD, AKL-ICN, and ICN-ATL in my post above is, of course, operated by Korean Air and is bookable with miles in your accounts with Delta. Moreover, please note that, using Pay with Miles, 430K miles would reduce your fare by $4,300, whereas, using the examples in my post above, you should be saving at least $12,000, i.e., the fare for one of you.
I believe the OPs dates are blacked out by KE.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 5:12 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
One advantage of booking directly through the cruise company is that in the event of an issue, they take responsibility for getting you or your bags to the cruise ship.

I had a friend whose flight was delayed, but because she booked through the cruise line, they personally delivered her to the ship, really took care of her, AND gave her some free stuff to make up for the hassle.

Cruise lines are expensive, but they will take care of you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.