Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta AMEX Platinum vs Reserve

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2022, 5:51 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
Is that really a sky club line? Looking at the people in the line, I see what looks like big groups of younger individuals together and I never see individuals like those entering sky clubs.
It's a new world....
Old Aug 30, 2022, 6:27 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Is that really a sky club line? Looking at the people in the line, I see what looks like big groups of younger individuals together and I never see individuals like those entering sky clubs.
Don't take my word for it, check out the thread here with FOUR HUNDRED+ replies regarding waits to enter SkyClubs these days...
Old Aug 30, 2022, 7:28 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Big groups of younger people have been big club customers for years now
Old Aug 31, 2022, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
No. Shortly before your anniversary date the companion cert will show up in your DL wallet. It is yours to keep even if you cancel the card at renewal time and do not pay the second annual fee.

No, that would be churning cards as I said. I mean what’s the point then?
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:28 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I can get SkyClub access via the regular Amex Platinum, so I don't factor in SkyClub access in my Delta Platinum vs Delta Reserve Analysis. and I've considered downgrading from Reserve to Platinum many times. In fact I hold two Amex Platinum and one Delta Reserve and try to justify all three without any value placed on lounge access...

1) IMO it is more efficient (slightly) to spend $30K on the Reserve - you hit the $25K MQD waiver and get 15K MQM every year
2) I can't get excited about the Delta Platinum bonus categories (2x for dining and supermarkets) - hard to put spend on those categories when Amex Gold is available
3) Companion pass is a much more useable
4) Upgrade priority tiebreaker
5) Better Amex stuff like trip delay insurance, etc
6) Global Entry reimbursement, etc
Old Sep 1, 2022, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Adelphos
In fact I hold two Amex Platinum and one Delta Reserve and try to justify all three without any value placed on lounge access...

6) Global Entry reimbursement, etc
You farming out GE for a family here?
Old Sep 1, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL Plat, DL AMEX Plat
It depends on the benefits you already have and want extra

Choosing between the DL Plat versus the DL Reserve Amex cards depends on the benefits you already have on your own, and the ones you want to have extra.
In my case, as a DL Plat or Gold medallion who flies mainly international, I already have Sky Club access. I do care about the extra miles I'm getting with the DL Plat card in certain categories, and the MQMs and MQD waiver I can get that make me qualify for DL Gold when flying alone would make me only a Silver.
I don't fly much domestically, but if I do I'm normally able to use the Plat companion cert as I tend to book many months in advance. Not willing to spend money on a first class ticket anyway.
So for me the choice is clear: I'm sticking to the DL Plat Amex card, no matter how many offers I get to upgrade to the Reserve.

In regard to the JFK T4 Sky Club: even when it's busy I still think the SC has a more quiet atmosphere than the regular terminal. And the 3 times so far I used it, there was a wait but never longer than 10 minutes to enter. Decent food too. Is it worth extra money? That is your own valuation, but for me it's very much worth it to pay extra for the DL Plat Amex so I make DL Gold medallion.
jtatlanta likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL DIA, BA Gold
Originally Posted by robert4travels
Choosing between the DL Plat versus the DL Reserve Amex cards depends on the benefits you already have on your own, and the ones you want to have extra.
In my case, as a DL Plat or Gold medallion who flies mainly international, I already have Sky Club access. I do care about the extra miles I'm getting with the DL Plat card in certain categories, and the MQMs and MQD waiver I can get that make me qualify for DL Gold when flying alone would make me only a Silver.
I don't fly much domestically, but if I do I'm normally able to use the Plat companion cert as I tend to book many months in advance. Not willing to spend money on a first class ticket anyway.
So for me the choice is clear: I'm sticking to the DL Plat Amex card, no matter how many offers I get to upgrade to the Reserve.

In regard to the JFK T4 Sky Club: even when it's busy I still think the SC has a more quiet atmosphere than the regular terminal. And the 3 times so far I used it, there was a wait but never longer than 10 minutes to enter. Decent food too. Is it worth extra money? That is your own valuation, but for me it's very much worth it to pay extra for the DL Plat Amex so I make DL Gold medallion.
I am similar to you. I upgraded to Reserve and wish I hadn't. I fly mainly international too so get US lounge access anyway as a Diamond. Reserve doesn't work at most overseas lounges no matter your medallion level so its better to get AMEX Plat if you want lounge access and of course you can earn more miles easier. To me Reserve is the worse product of the bunch for its price. Very hard to use companion certs (have to be rtn trip, and now GU certs only work one level higher. I would ether get Delta Plat or Amex Plat.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: DL Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by jtatlanta
I am similar to you. I upgraded to Reserve and wish I hadn't. I fly mainly international too so get US lounge access anyway as a Diamond. Reserve doesn't work at most overseas lounges no matter your medallion level so its better to get AMEX Plat if you want lounge access and of course you can earn more miles easier. To me Reserve is the worse product of the bunch for its price. Very hard to use companion certs (have to be rtn trip, and now GU certs only work one level higher. I would ether get Delta Plat or Amex Plat.
Well, after you got the sign up bonus, can you not just downgrade to the DL Play Amex again then? No need to keep the Reserve, unless you want to bank the extra MQMs.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 2:36 pm

I spent a bit of time studying the benefits of both cards. I had the Delta Amex Platinum for years and upgraded to the Reserve in June. I watched a bunch of Youtube videos comparing the two cards, along with the Amex Platinum. I ended up going with the Reserve because I wanted lounge access, upgrade priority, the 15k MQMs for the card spend, and the ability to book a FC companion certificate. I also am not too concerned about mileage accrual. My friend who has the Delta Amex Platinum refuses to upgrade to the Reserve because she likes the 2x miles at grocery stores and restaurants. In the end, it depends on what you want and how you use your card.
ebayj likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 5:40 am

Programs: DL-DM / 2MM, Marriott Titanium, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Typically I am at 50 to 65 segments each year with 4 or 5 out-of-country long hauls (NBO, DAR, CMB).
Main benefit to me – SkyClub access valued at $695 (though considering the overcrowding is much less interesting). Others are: Companion Cert purchasing 1st class seats which I would value in the $600 to $1200 range or more. I have been able to use them each year except one. Use of the Centurion/Escape lounges when SkyClubs aren’t available.

I don’t need the MQM boosts, and seldom use SkyMiles.
ebayj likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The Reserve card is supposed to be a tiebreaker for (FC) upgrades, so if one often lands as the top person not upgraded on the list, this could be an argument that the Reserve card could be valuable, but you'll never really know whether it has helped you or not.
Do Reserve card AUs also get tiebreaker status or is it just the main Reserve cardholder? I know AUs with just the free AMEX Delta Plat do not, but I'm curious if those AUs with the additional fee Reserve card also get tiebreakers.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 2:12 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jth14
Do Reserve card AUs also get tiebreaker status or is it just the main Reserve cardholder? I know AUs with just the free AMEX Delta Plat do not, but I'm curious if those AUs with the additional fee Reserve card also get tiebreakers.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...-0#offer-terms

"Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Basic Card Members have access to Upgrade Priority within the Delta SkyMiles Complimentary Upgrade Program."
MSPeconomist and jth14 like this.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I don't see a dedicated forum just for the Delta Platinum, but I just thought I'd report that I got an offer in the mail for a Delta Amex Platinum with a 75K mile SUB after $3K spend, PLUS a $500 credit towards a Delta Vacations product, which more than eliminates the annual fee. I decided to take them up on it, as I had a property tax payment coming up that would fulfill most of the spend requirement. I saw it as a free 75K miles. (I was able to find a great deal on a vacation package for a trip I was planning anyway, so in effect saved $250 there.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.