Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DJ in the Sky Club?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:52 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Adam1222
I've made no such assertions about what the public wants, nor am I lashing out. And I apologize if you think that has anything to do with why I dont think the little bon mots that you and others are responding with are unhelpful.
I have never doubted that different people have different preferences about what they like, and that some of the very important people here despise DJs. I have no objection to people discussing what kinds of music they would or would not like at skyclubs. There are ways to have productive conversations where people disagree without snark, and ways to share your view without insisting that it is every/most Delta customers view. Welcome to Flyertalk.
You're pretending others are being unreasonable, when it's you who are creating the straw men and trying to re-frame the discussion, and suggesting that the voices here aren't representative.

Nobody here has said they hate music or despise DJs. What people said was that they didn't want DJs in the skyclub, which is normally more of an oasis and place of calm at the airport. You've suggested that Delta likely did some deep research into this. Based on... nothing, actually.

To be fair, a few people said they liked the idea of DJs. Someone suggested that it would be OK to have a DJ in some clubs on an outside skydeck during certain hours. Seems reasonable to some of us.

The voices here (pro and con) are representative of some of Delta skyclub users.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
You're pretending others are being unreasonable, when it's you who are creating the straw men and trying to re-frame the discussion, and suggesting that the voices here aren't representative.

Nobody here has said they hate music or despise DJs. What people said was that they didn't want DJs in the skyclub, which is normally more of an oasis and place of calm at the airport. You've suggested that Delta likely did some deep research into this. Based on... nothing, actually.

To be fair, a few people said they liked the idea of DJs. Someone suggested that it would be OK to have a DJ in some clubs on an outside skydeck during certain hours. Seems reasonable to some of us.

The voices here (pro and con) are representative of some of Delta skyclub users.
I apologize if you misunderstood my point days ago, which has nothing to do with the question of whether people should keep posting little snarky, mocking comments days later.
But since you are bringing up the response I made days ago, echoed by several other posters in this thread, it was to comments like
"Another example of DL’s marketing being out of touch with what their most frequent customers want"
"The problem here is losing touch with the customer."

and an individual FT poster claiming their view was "representative of Delta customers"
We can agree the views in this thread are "representative of some Delta customers," but that of course was not what I was responding to. I never said Delta did "deep research," but obviously someone at Delta thought customers would like it. Maybe they were wrong!! But I expect Delta has more of a foundation to know who is a "representative of Delta customer" than Joe Flyertalk.

It seems like you are interested in winning a vote on how many people on this thread like the idea of a DJ, but that is a contest I never expressed interest in participating in. On the point I did make, that individual FT posters thoughts, or even 5 or 6 of theirs, are not "representative of Delta customers." And on that point, the voices in this thread seem to favor me.

Hopefully everyone can move on, and say what they do/dont like, without disdain and mockery.
PanAmSam likes this.

Last edited by Adam1222; Aug 9, 2022 at 8:00 am
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:11 am

I apologize if you misunderstood my point days ago, which has nothing to do with the question of whether people should keep posting little snarky, mocking comments days later.
But since you are bringing up the response I made days ago, echoed by several other posters in this thread, it was to comments like
"Another example of DL’s marketing being out of touch with what their most frequent customers want"
"The problem here is losing touch with the customer."

and an individual FT poster claiming their view was "representative of Delta customers"
Obviously someone at Delta thought customers would like it. Maybe they were wrong!! I never said they did "deep research," but yes, I expect Delta has more of a foundation to know who is a "representative of Delta customer" than Joe Flyertalk.

It seems like you are interested in winning a vote on how many people on this thread like the idea of a DJ, but that is a contest I never expressed interest in participating in. On the point I did make, that individual FT posters thoughts, or even 5 or 6 of theirs, are not "representative of Delta customers." And on that point, the voices in this thread seem to favor me.

Hopefully everyone can move on, and say what they do/dont like, without disdain and mockery.
I didn't misunderstand your point. If anyone is keeping score, it seems to be you, with this kind of remark: "And on that point, the voices in this thread seem to favor me." They do not.

Here's an example of disdain and mockery: I expect Delta has more of a foundation to know who is a "representative of Delta customer" than Joe Flyertalk. Nobody is blowing this up to be representative of Delta marketing but you. It was one experiment at one club.

Not sure why you're belaboring the point or trying to re-characterize the discussion. I think the commentary has been reasonable and civil. All the views presented here are representative of Delta users.

You're not by any chance the DJ from the skyclub, are you?
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I didn't misunderstand your point. If anyone is keeping score, it seems to be you, with this kind of remark: "And on that point, the voices in this thread seem to favor me." They do not.

Here's an example of disdain and mockery: I expect Delta has more of a foundation to know who is a "representative of Delta customer" than Joe Flyertalk. Nobody is blowing this up to be representative of Delta marketing but you. It was one experiment at one club.

Not sure why you're belaboring the point or trying to re-characterize the discussion. I think the commentary has been reasonable and civil. All the views presented here are representative of Delta users.

You're not by any chance the DJ from the skyclub, are you?
Since you insist no one here was being sarcastic, I will take you at your word, and say I am not the DJ.
If you did not intend for your post "Thanks for coming back and confirming that many of understood your initial post as written" to be sarcastic, or the posters saying "If anyone complains, advise them your market research, in like with Delta's, indicates customers want live music in the lounge" didnt either, I apologize for misunderstanding.

We seem to agree on the only point I was making, which several others understood and made themselves, which is that it is wrong to declare one's self the one true representative of Delta customers. I and others believe the posts I quoted suggested just that, you appear to disagree, and nothing I can/will say appears relevant to your belief. Be well.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
I think all of our opinions matter- the people who are outraged by a DJ being at a Skyclub, and the people who don't see it as a problem.
And no, i don't think regular FT posters are representative of Delta customers. My partner is a DL diamond and he thinks all of us on here are crazy.
Reminds me of a disagreement I had with a friend who is an Uber Eats driver as a side job. He insisted that the majority of UE drivers had advanced degrees, based on polls that were conducted on an online UE Drivers' forum. He could not grasp that self-selected participants of a forum could not be a statistically representative sample of a group.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
Reminds me of a disagreement I had with a friend who is an Uber Eats driver as a side job. He insisted that the majority of UE drivers had advanced degrees, based on polls that were conducted on an online UE Drivers' forum. He could not grasp that self-selected participants of a forum could not be a statistically representative sample of a group.
Some people insist on disqualifying any reasonably substantiated observation.

For instance, you're discounting the fact that every other airline, including ones far more competent in customer experience, all with research departments, would have to be missing that a majority of lounge users would like a DJ spinning in the lounge.

There's always someone who'll respond by injecting unsubstantiated uncertainty using minutia and exceptions to the rule.

"Buuut my grandfather smoked until he was 104, so stop saying 'smoking will kill you" because I just disproved that!".

"'A poll indicates passengers prefer cabin temps to be 70-72 degrees". "Buuut they didn't ask every single passenger in the world, only 10,000 people!!"

That tactic is a low effort means to assert relevance without putting in the intellectual effort to back their position with substance.
Goodoldflyer likes this.

Last edited by Ghoulish; Aug 9, 2022 at 9:33 am
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:54 am

Sorry, it's not like that at all.

It seems reasonable to assume that the majority of users don't want this. Get back to us when Delta rolls this out to all the skyclubs, and we'll take it all back.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Sorry, it's not like that at all.

It seems reasonable to assume that the majority of users don't want this. Get back to us when Delta rolls this out to all the skyclubs, and we'll take it all back.
I don't think it's reasonable to assume either way.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:38 pm

I don't think it's reasonable to assume either way.

You're certainly entitled to have that opinion.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:44 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Time to close this thread
Obscure2K
Delta Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.