Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Diamond no longer boarding with First Class/Delta One

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2022, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium

I did not see this posted.
looks like Diamond is getting a dedicated zone after First Class/Delta One
https://www.delta.com/us/en/check-in...rding-priority

I enjoyed boarding with First/D1, kept it simple. Now we have to depend on Gate Agents remembering to call the separate new "Diamond Zone". I can see some skipping straight to Comfort + since it is new.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 12:04 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I feel like this is related to turn time somehow… if you can keep everyone besides pre-boards that need extra time out of coach, the cleaners can do the last 10 rows while first class is boarding.
Keith2004, volabam, fsuj25 and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Diamond is rapidly becoming the new Platinum.

I wish they were making 360 more attractive by adding perks, not by subtracting them from Diamond. First Sky Club access times, now this. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them walk the GUC changes back in 2023, but only for people in the 360 tier, for example.

It wouldn’t be so frustrating if 360 was published criteria and consistent across stations…
volabam, rt23456p and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by VFR
I feel like this is related to turn time somehow… if you can keep everyone besides pre-boards that need extra time out of coach, the cleaners can do the last 10 rows while first class is boarding.
I could see that, though I would assume most Diamonds are in C+, at least the case for me.
Annoying change though, until Gate Agents are used to it. In a way it singles out Diamonds like never before lol
Old Aug 4, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Diamond is the new platinum.

Edit: Oh, I see that's been said. Still, it's very true. As you're likely in C+ already, just board at the regular time. Are there so many diamonds that it's worth the extra complication? Well, probably this year and next. Thanks, rollovers.

Delta: "We status match you to diamond from lower levels in other programs. And then we devalue them to be like the lower levels in the other programs."

Last edited by Goodoldflyer; Aug 4, 2022 at 12:34 pm
Old Aug 4, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
"“As customers continue to return to travel in high numbers, Delta is implementing a minor boarding update across the system on August 3 that will simplify and better meter the current boarding process. This adjustment will shift the boarding order for a small group of premium customers while still offering them a preferential boarding experience."

Comment from TPG

The issue is, as always, too many elites relative to the benefits promised. If you have 75-100 Diamonds on a flight, First Class should definitely board before the Diamonds. If you can't reduce elite numbers, and Delta probably can't, then you have to adjust the benefits
N501US, DiverDave, wrp96 and 7 others like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 12:57 pm

Good. It will unclog the gate for those flying First Class / Delta One.
Also, I don't get why active military get early boarding other than some weird virtue-signaling on Delta's part.
Babu, mbluecpa, hockeystl and 21 others like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by VFR
That works if the cleaners can exit via the back of the bus. Which is not always the case. More than once I have seen ground staff trying to swim upstream after being caught in the boarding scrum.

Originally Posted by Adelphos
The issue is, as always, too many elites relative to the benefits promised. If you have 75-100 Diamonds on a flight, First Class should definitely board before the Diamonds. If you can't reduce elite numbers, and Delta probably can't, then you have to adjust the benefits
When everyone is "special" no one is special.
halls120, VFR, altabello and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL DM
I had noticed this last night on a flight out of FLL that the monitor had only listed First rather than the usual First/Diamond. Agent did announce it as First Class only though at the time didn't think anything of it (was in first so was boarding anyways). I think Atlanta is about the only place I see the occasional "random" boarding process - e.g. the screen being completely out of sync with what the gate agent is saying. But hopefully whatever is driving the display monitors works to get some consistency quickly with this change.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
When everyone is "special" no one is special.
There are benefits of Diamond (Choice Benefits, extra earnings on paid flights, higher upgrade priority) that have real value, even with inflated Diamond numbers. Stuff like priority boarding just has to be deemphasized in a world with more elites.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I used to play by the rules, but now ignore exactly what they are calling because nobody even knows what is going on.

I am paying $15/y to join the GLAA (Gate Lice Association of America).

Last edited by exwannabe; Aug 4, 2022 at 1:24 pm
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:22 pm

I have a colleague who is DM who travels with his non-status wife and 4 kids and they all board with FC and sit together in MC. This could be disruptive to the cleaning/turn process mentioned upthread.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Love it. Make first class truly premium again™️
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

as a somewhat cost-sensitive PM who often < plays > < succumbs to > WFBF, the only times I’ve found “DMs board with F” annoying is when I’ve been in the first or second row of C+ and my rollaboard wound up in the overhead bin two or three rows farther aft
emma dog and hhdl like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
DMs NOT in FC are often the worst gate lice, though. So Im not sure this will really help.
ijgordon, jimrpa, DTWflyer and 7 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.