Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bumped from First Class On Paid Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2022, 6:25 am

Programs: JB Mosaic 4, DL Diamond, Marriot Gold, National Executive Elite
Seems to me one of the larger travel sites that focus on points (I didn't want to list the ones I know and possible miss ones I don't) and the airline industry in general should do an article about this. This is pretty outrageous behavior especially coming from DL who appears to actually care (to a point) about their customers and their experiences with DL service.

I also wonder if senior leadership at DL is aware this kind of thing happens in this manner (meaning the terrible way it was handled during and post). Imagine if OP was not as calm and as easy going as he seems and made a big issue out of it, this could have gone viral under different circumstances.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by GaryO3
Sorry, no, if I *pay* for a first class/business/premium seat that's my expectation and anything else is not acceptable... if it is an upgrade that is a completely different story. Fact is there are too many DYKWIA elistists and too many people who will simply accept this atrocious behaviour from airlines.
Isn't a DYKWIA even more likely to make a scene about an airline screwing them over? I usually don't think of "DYKWIAs" falling into the category of "accepting atrocious behavior" - quite the opposite in fact. Now a DYKWIA may well expect the airline to screw someone else over who may well just accept atrocious behavior to make something happen for the DYKWIA but that's a different story. Perhaps the term you're looking for rather than DYKWIA is "apologist" or "corporate boot-licker."
Old Aug 3, 2022, 9:06 am

I've never heard an announcement looking for First Class downgrades in my 40+ years. I would think an announcement would be avoided at all costs as you would not want to shatter the allure of FC. If there is a need to downgrade someone at the last minute, there might not be time to solicit passengers individually. That said, hard to imagine the protocol is not to downgrade someone with a free upgrade rather than a person who paid cash... and hard to believe there were no upgraded FC passengers on this or any flight.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xooz
I've never heard an announcement looking for First Class downgrades in my 40+ years. I would think an announcement would be avoided at all costs as you would not want to shatter the allure of FC. If there is a need to downgrade someone at the last minute, there might not be time to solicit passengers individually. That said, hard to imagine the protocol is not to downgrade someone with a free upgrade rather than a person who paid cash... and hard to believe there were no upgraded FC passengers on this or any flight.
Even if there were no upgrades, a DM/MM would not have been the lowest ranking passenger in FC. However, I wonder whether there's an argument for using fare class rather than status in such situations. We don't know what fare class the OP had AFAIK IIRC, although I haven't gone back to re-rad the thread to check this.
xooz and flyerCO like this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 11:33 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles
So this is something I'd never thought about and now I'm trying to figure out how I would handle it. As a larger individual I either purchase two seats in the back or one seat in first depending on which is cheaper. I'd never even entertained the idea that I could be downgraded while paying outright for first. Would Delta then require me to purchase a same day full fare additional seat in coach if they downgraded me?
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by normalone
So this is something I'd never thought about and now I'm trying to figure out how I would handle it. As a larger individual I either purchase two seats in the back or one seat in first depending on which is cheaper. I'd never even entertained the idea that I could be downgraded while paying outright for first. Would Delta then require me to purchase a same day full fare additional seat in coach if they downgraded me?
Its an interesting outlier case. If you are technically a customer of size as defined by DL they have to give you 2 seats. I would be shocked if they tried to make you pay for a second one after downgrading you. It would garner VERY bad press (not that gate agents really think about that…). The bigger issue might be finding you 2 seats together, at least without shuffling others around. I would imagine that due to the potential headache they may just try to keep you in F and pick someone else for downgrade.

In any event, downgrades from paid F are probably pretty rare (outside of cancellations), as is an agent trying to put someone into your EXSEAT if you booked 2x in Y, so it’s probably not something I would spend a lot of time thinking about.
DiverDave likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.