Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How do I confirm that the tickets I just bought are refundable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2022, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

I just purchased two sets of tickets - one set bought over the phone w/ Delta and one set bought online. All of the tickets are refundable, but when I receive my email confirmations or look online at the receipts section of my account, there's no note about the tickets being refundable. Is there any way that I can confirm?
Old Jul 22, 2022, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Online receipt will have "NON-REFUNDABLE" text in caps as below for non-refundable fares.

Also, for domestic fares, the 4th character of fare basis code (found in email receipt) will be a 'Z' , 'P', or 'R' for refundable fares and 'O', 'Q', or 'N' for non-refundable fares.
The 8 letter fare basis codes are found after fare prices in Fare Details section. Below itin has UFUOA0MQ for outbound fare and LAVOA0MQ on return.

The fare rules, which can found online after selecting an itin on delta.com or can be looked on ExpertFlyer from fare basis code will say "CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED." in Penalties section for refundable fares and non-refundable fares will say "TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE IN CASE OF CANCEL."
PanAmSam and prgboy like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 22, 2022 at 6:29 pm
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. These are international tickets, with a US connection, so I'm guessing things differ, as my code for outbound is ZNO0ZRD0 and my code for the return is ZNG0ZRD0.

I've called to confirm that they are refundable, but seems odd to me that Delta doesn't make it more clear on the receipt or in the reservation.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enoscabell
Thanks for the info. These are international tickets, with a US connection, so I'm guessing things differ, as my code for outbound is ZNO0ZRD0 and my code for the return is ZNG0ZRD0.

I've called to confirm that they are refundable, but seems odd to me that Delta doesn't make it more clear on the receipt or in the reservation.
Ah, looks like US-Asia fares. They use the 5th letter of the fare basis code for those. Generally speaking for D1 fares, R=Refundable, N=Non-refundable (they sometimes use different codes for other cabins). The magic words in the Penalties section of the fare rules are "CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED" and that's pretty consistent across all airlines (no, unfortunately, they don't just say "REFUNDABLE" there).

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 23, 2022 at 10:46 am
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: DL DM
The way I have noticed they are indeed refundable is that for non-refundable tickets the wording “non-refundable” appears on the main DL website when you view your itinerary and are looking at each individual segment.

Example:
ATL-SEA: Main Cabin(U) NonRefundable

If it was refundable it would just say:
ATL-SEA: Main Cabin (U)

It’s not noticeable at all and the email confirmation is very ambiguous.

The only way I figured this out was to compare two different reservations I had at once (one refundable and the other not) and find the difference.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xliioper
Ah, looks like US-Asia fares. They use the 5th letter of the fare basis code for those. Generally speaking for D1 fares, R=Refundable, N=Non-refundable (they sometimes use different codes for other cabins).
I see an R in the 6th position. Are you not counting the zero here?
Old Jul 23, 2022, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GagaPilot
The way I have noticed they are indeed refundable is that for non-refundable tickets the wording “non-refundable” appears on the main DL website when you view your itinerary and are looking at each individual segment.

Example:
ATL-SEA: Main Cabin(U) NonRefundable

If it was refundable it would just say:
ATL-SEA: Main Cabin (U)

It’s not noticeable at all and the email confirmation is very ambiguous.

The only way I figured this out was to compare two different reservations I had at once (one refundable and the other not) and find the difference.
Thanks, this is easiest explanation yet for those of us not familiar with any type of fare coding. My new tickets pass this test vs. other tickets that are non-refundable.

And good guess by xliioper on Asia. You are correct.
GagaPilot likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I see an R in the 6th position. Are you not counting the zero here?
No, you are right. I should have said the 6th position, not 5th. Didn't count enough positions.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
I am about the purchase a "L" refundable domestic economic fare, anyone know how late I could cancel for a refund?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
I am about the purchase a "L" refundable domestic economic fare, anyone know how late I could cancel for a refund?
If it's refundable, then there shouldn't be a cancelation period AFAIK for domestic tickets. International (more so if not starting in N America) can have them.

Regardless since CV19 hit DL hasn't been imposing no-show penalties even on nonrefundable tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.