FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta/Boeing 737-MAX Plane Transaction Thread (Consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2087423-delta-boeing-737-max-plane-transaction-thread-consolidated.html)

Mountain Explorer Jan 19, 2024 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Yellowjj (Post 35924966)
The -10 neither has MCAS or door plugs (might be the best one out the bunch tbh). If Delta pilots are going to be flying it without hesitation, then I have no hesitation of being a passenger. Unless they are having a mental break, no one is going to work on something they believe is unsafe.

The MAX has a tainted rep from MCAS (rightfully so), but this current issue is a QC one and imho has zero to do with the actual aircraft; other than it being the current production model. Could have easily been a 739, if those were still in production and Spirit Aerospace was slacking. Boeing will take the full blame, regardless of which subcontractor caused the issue and rectify it.

We already knew that Boeing intentionally deceived regulators and pilots to avoid additional training. That is well documented. Now we also know that Boeing's contract manufacturers have QC issues too. That somehow makes things better?

moondog Jan 19, 2024 6:40 pm

Yellowjj
​​​​​How do you know that the current issue has zero to do with the aircraft?

smartytravel Jan 19, 2024 7:20 pm

DELete

Yellowjj Jan 19, 2024 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 35924996)
Yellowjj
​​​​​How do you know that the current issue has zero to do with the aircraft?

How long has the 737 fuselage been built?

Yellowjj Jan 19, 2024 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Mountain Explorer (Post 35924987)
We already knew that Boeing intentionally deceived regulators and pilots to avoid additional training. That is well documented. Now we also know that Boeing's contract manufacturers have QC issues too. That somehow makes things better?

Nowhere did I said it makes things better. I said if the pilots aren't worried about flying the aircraft, then I am not worried about stepping on it.

moondog Jan 19, 2024 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Yellowjj (Post 35925159)
How long has the 737 fuselage been built?

Acceptable answers to this question range between 6 and ~800 (launch of 707 program) months. Regardless of what number you choose, I fail to see how this informs your certainty that the current issue has zero to do with the aircraft.

Yellowjj Jan 19, 2024 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 35925180)
Acceptable answers to this question range between 6 and ~800 (launch of 707 program) months. Regardless of what number you choose, I fail to see how this informs your certainty that the current issue has zero to do with the aircraft.

It's a door plug that has been introduced since 2007 in the 739. How would that equate to a specific aircraft (Max) issue? I fail to see the correlation between the two as the same fuselage, has been used for eons.

moondog Jan 19, 2024 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Yellowjj (Post 35925216)
It's a door plug that has been introduced since 2007 in the 739. How would that equate to a specific aircraft (Max) issue? I fail to see the correlation between the two as the same fuselage, has been used for eons.

I didn't make a connection between the length of time 737 fuselages have been built and the current issue...you did. I was simply curious about your logic in general and how you have employed it to draw a resolute conclusion.

Yellowjj Jan 20, 2024 12:01 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 35925229)
I didn't make a connection between the length of time 737 fuselages have been built and the current issue...you did. I was simply curious about your logic in general and how you have employed it to draw a resolute conclusion.

Seems rather simple. A design issue wouldn't have taken nearly two decades to show up.
So your question was puzzling at best.

LegalTender Jan 22, 2024 7:22 am

FAA "Urges" 737-900ER Inspections

The FAA has urged airlines operating the Boeing 737-900ER model should “visually inspect mid-exit door plugs to ensure the door is properly secured,” referring to the panel that plugs the hole where a mid-plane exit would be.

“The Boeing 737-900ER is not part of the newer Max fleet but has the same door plug design,” the US aviation regulator added in what is known as a safety alert for operators

Delta Air Lines told CNN Monday that they had already started inspections of their Boeing 737-900ER aircraft and did not anticipate any disruptions to operations.
CNN

DLASflyer Jan 23, 2024 10:28 am

United basically writing off the Max 10, at least for the foreseeable future.

Kirby says "Best case 5 years behind original delivery" for the Max 10.

"Building a plan that doesn't have the Max 10 in it"

flyerCO Jan 23, 2024 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Yellowjj (Post 35925160)
Nowhere did I said it makes things better. I said if the pilots aren't worried about flying the aircraft, then I am not worried about stepping on it.

You think the AS pilots were worried till the plug blew?

Paul510 Jan 23, 2024 4:34 pm

The Max 10 does indeed have rear fusulage door plugs, it has too, it is longer than the Max9! It has different avionics software software than the Max 8 and 9 and therefore pilot training to deal with the MCAS will be different. Boeing got a cross-certification exemption via a corrupt congress. I hope delta cancels it's flying turd orders

smartytravel Jan 24, 2024 4:47 pm

I'm never EVER entering a MAX plane in my life, on any airline.

ChamplinAl Jan 26, 2024 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Paul510 (Post 35936305)
The Max 10 does indeed have rear fusulage door plugs, it has too, it is longer than the Max9! It has different avionics software software than the Max 8 and 9 and therefore pilot training to deal with the MCAS will be different. Boeing got a cross-certification exemption via a corrupt congress. I hope delta cancels it's flying turd orders

The only way DL "sticks" with their max-10 order is to get even a better discount than they got when the did on their initial order. I am not holding my breath, but I'm very skeptical on seeing max-10's in DL colors ever. Options on delaying their delivery dates and just ordering more Airbus A321neos (no, DL doesn't need the LR's or XLR's).....trans Atlantic....only Iceland comes to mind.