Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Mixed Cabin Ticket - Which Rules Govern?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2022, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference

I'm looking at a booking, and sadly Delta seems to still have a few of Satan's Chariots (CRJs with no F) in circulation on some shorter routes. If I book a ticket that is XXX-ATL in F and ATL-XXX in Y due to a lack of F on the latter flight, do the F rules govern for baggage? How about for SDCs? [Edit: And does it matter if the F ticket or the forced-Y ticket is first on the reservation? This was actually an issue over at B6 in the past...]

[Sorry, it's been a few years since I had to worry about this...]
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Baggage allowance should be for First, and theoretically you should be able to SDC as paid F but could run into some bumps. Order doesn't matter.
manacit likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I'm looking at a booking, and sadly Delta seems to still have a few of Satan's Chariots (CRJs with no F) in circulation on some shorter routes. If I book a ticket that is XXX-ATL in F and ATL-XXX in Y due to a lack of F on the latter flight, do the F rules govern for baggage? How about for SDCs? [Edit: And does it matter if the F ticket or the forced-Y ticket is first on the reservation? This was actually an issue over at B6 in the past...]

Bags will be F. DL like most, always gives the F allowance if any segment is in F.

SDC depends on if sold as a through fare or a broken fare.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Bags will be F. DL like most, always gives the F allowance if any segment is in F.

SDC depends on if sold as a through fare or a broken fare.
It's a through fare (or /should/ be...it's specifically listed as an allowed routing on ExpertFlyer).
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a through fare (or /should/ be...it's specifically listed as an allowed routing on ExpertFlyer).
You can click on "Fare Rules" link when booking on delta.com and it will show whether it is a single fare or not. As long as you are not using multi-city, delta.com will generally only show single through fares on routes where there are fare filings that allow the routings (it may also show broken fares in some cases, but only for routings where there are no valid covering through fares).
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
lots of stories (both successes and hassles) from 8-10 years back in the SDC thread
Old Jul 12, 2022, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
As noted by others you should be treated as an F passenger from a benefits standpoint which means F baggage allowance and SkyPriority security and boarding lane access (if you don't have PreCheck and/or Clear and/or DL status that already gets you that)
Old Jul 12, 2022, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Do you really mean XXX-ATL and ATL-XXX (RT from XXX to ATL) or did you mean to write XXX-ATL and ATL-YYY (OW from XXX to YYY with a connection in ATL)?

If a RT is FC in one direction and coach in the other direction, you would only get FC benefits when flying the FC direction.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
given the conversation about through fare vs broken fare above, I think it’s pretty clearly the latter, with the second leg on a CRJ
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
given the conversation about through fare vs broken fare above, I think it’s pretty clearly the latter, with the second leg on a CRJ
Yes, it sounds like the latter case. DL will sell through FC fares on such routes as long as the flight with the FC cabin is longer than the one without. For example, there are no through FC fares available for purchase on SCE-DTW-ORD because SCE-DTW (RJ200 only) is longer than DTW-ORD while they are available on SCE-DTW-STL because DTW-STL is longer.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xliioper
Yes, it sounds like the latter case. DL will sell through FC fares on such routes as long as the flight with the FC cabin is longer than the one without. For example, there are no through FC fares available for purchase on SCE-DTW-ORD because SCE-DTW (RJ200 only) is longer than DTW-ORD while they are available on SCE-DTW-STL because DTW-STL is longer.
PreCOVID-19, I noticed that DL would sell FC through fares on a mainline to CRJ-200 route only when the mainline segment was sold out in coach.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you really mean XXX-ATL and ATL-XXX (RT from XXX to ATL) or did you mean to write XXX-ATL and ATL-YYY (OW from XXX to YYY with a connection in ATL)?

If a RT is FC in one direction and coach in the other direction, you would only get FC benefits when flying the FC direction.
It's the latter. One-way ticket. [Sorry...I'm so used to booking all one-way tickets that sometimes I forget that round-trip tickets exist.]

As things shook out, I ended up swapping over to an award ticket for the trip...

As to the other comments here...

Yeah, DL occasionally sells "F-ish" tickets on flights A-B-C where one leg or the other is on a no-F CRJ. They're listed as mixed-cabin (but, as triggered the question in this thread, it isn't quite clear whether they'd be "anchored" by the F rules or the Y rules).

[I really wish DL would just find a way to make a row or two of the CRJ "F" with an asterisk so as to avoid this issue, given that F comes with various change privileges.]

Last edited by GrayAnderson; Jul 21, 2022 at 12:52 am
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:05 pm

C+ on a CRJ-200 is bad enough. I can just imagine how unhappy people would be when they start getting exorbitant FCM offers for their CRJ-200 segments.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL DM
My favorite example is when you book a DeltaOne fare that includes a connection on a CRJ, and they advertise the lie flat seat! A bit incongruous if you ask me…
Old Apr 10, 2024, 10:42 am

On a mixed cabin trip tomorrow. First leg is F to ATL then Comfort + to Central America. Went to check in and they are charging for checked bags. Not a big deal paying the $35 for the one checked bag I'm bringing but seems petty to charge that fee when part of the itinerary is F. Used the messaging to contact an agent and she just copied and pasted the price for the bags and dimensions didn't want to give me a policy and was pretty condescending. Haven't flown Delta in years and it's surprisingly not what I remember

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.