Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MQD waiver and canceling card (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2022, 8:46 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
There are some older threads discussing the same question, but nothing terribly recent that I saw offhand. Consensus seems to be that you keep the waiver once you've achieved it even if you subsequently cancel.

2018: Cancelling DL PLT AMEX- Will I lose my MQD Waiver?

2015: Cancel DL Reserve After MQD Waiver

2014: Closing Delta AMEX: Will MQD Waiver Be Affected?
bloc0102 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold

Hi all,
I have met the $25k waiver on my Reserve Card. My annual fee posted and AMEX isn't offering any retention bonuses, so I want to cancel and then apply for the Delta AMEX Platinum to get the miles offer.

Will my MQD transfer to the new card? Or should I wait until the Delta Platinum is officially issued to me before I cancel the reserve?

Or does this not work at all?
Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
Hi all,
I have met the $25k waiver on my Reserve Card. My annual fee posted and AMEX isn't offering any retention bonuses, so I want to cancel and then apply for the Delta AMEX Platinum to get the miles offer.

Will my MQD transfer to the new card? Or should I wait until the Delta Platinum is officially issued to me before I cancel the reserve?

Or does this not work at all?
Why wouldn't you just downgrade?
Trying to get miles offer on a second card is dodgey...
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by lindros2
Why wouldn't you just downgrade?
Trying to get miles offer on a second card is dodgey...
Because if I downgrade, I lose the ability to EVER get a sign-up bonus for the Delta Platinum. Why is canceling one card and signing up for a lower-annual fee card dodgey (genuine question!)
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:38 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Recent thread from Feb 2022:

EDIT: various related threads have now been merged, see above

as to cancelling and getting another card:

Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
Because if I downgrade, I lose the ability to EVER get a sign-up bonus for the Delta Platinum. Why is canceling one card and signing up for a lower-annual fee card dodgey (genuine question!)
it's not dodgy at all. AMEX only cares if it thinks you're churning/gaming the signup bonuses. If you keep the card a year, you've satisfied their requirements for the bonus.

Last edited by Zorak; Jun 21, 2022 at 12:44 pm
Old Jun 21, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
If possible, I’d spend the extra $5k before canceling to pick up the 15k MQMs. The spending for MQM threshold purposes will not transfer to the new card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.