Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Cancel second:return leg of US- international ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2022, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Tried researching and not clear. If I fly out on Delta using Skymiles and need to cancel the return, what’s the likelihood/process for getting the balance of miles back into my account if I cancel after I arrive overseas.

so I’ll fly out to Lisbon and return from bErlin. Already 2 agents have said any chances would trigger a rebooking and repricing (much higher). Thanks in advance!
Old May 27, 2022, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You might be able to convince them to redeposit (particularly if there is a schedule change), but by the Program Rules, they are considered non-refundable once travel as begun. The cheapest international award levels generally have a roundtrip booking requirement and will have an 'R' in the middle of their fare basis codes (open-jaw awards also qualify for roundtrip booking award levels). So allowing you to refund half would effectively defeat this requirement.

"Once travel has commenced on an Award ticket, the Award is considered used. Mileage will not be credited back to the account for the unused portion of the ticket."

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles.../program-rules
jwhuffman likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA - G (mm), DL - DM, MM, AA - Plat
Sorry to say that you are out of luck. I have occasionally gotten them to change dates for me mid-trip but never gotten a refund for an unused portion of an award trip.
Old May 28, 2022, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seattleBH
Sorry to say that you are out of luck. I have occasionally gotten them to change dates for me mid-trip but never gotten a refund for an unused portion of an award trip.
While non-refundable after departure, awards are still changeable after departure and retain value through expiration date. If you simply change the return, award mileage difference may be modest or same price.
mnbp likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.