Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How close in can you cancel a Delta backup flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2022, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

I need to book a back up flight from Denver to LAX on Delta. My current flight on American leaves at 4 PM. There is a Delta flight that leaves at 6 PM or 630, I forget, but because of extenuating circumstances I need to be able to get back to LA that night. If the Delta flight is only two hours after the American flight, can I still cancel the Delta flight if the American flight leaves relatively on time? I think I would book cash refundable because then I would not have to speculatively transfer American Express points to Delta to cover the backup flight
Old May 23, 2022, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it's a fully refundable fare, you can cancel at any time, even after the flight has been completed. (Technically you don't need to cancel the reservation, that will happen automatically when you no-show, so you can just request the ticket refund at any time afterward).
If it's non-refundable, I believe the fare rules technically require you to cancel the reservation prior to the departure of the flight in order to get a credit for the value, but I believe Delta is not enforcing that because of long hold times to speak to reservations (as not all itineraries can be canceled online).
findark likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
If it's a fully refundable fare, you can cancel at any time, even after the flight has been completed. (Technically you don't need to cancel the reservation, that will happen automatically when you no-show, so you can just request the ticket refund at any time afterward).
If it's non-refundable, I believe the fare rules technically require you to cancel the reservation prior to the departure of the flight in order to get a credit for the value, but I believe Delta is not enforcing that because of long hold times to speak to reservations (as not all itineraries can be canceled online).
omg that's awesome and takes so much stress away! Thank you so much ijgordon ! I think I'll do fully refundable for cash - keep my MR points and get $$$$ back eventually.

How long does the refund take?
Old May 27, 2022, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Would this backup delta flight still be refundable if I checked in? It’s 2 hours after my original flight so I wouldn’t have much time to check in if I needed to take the backup delta flight.
Old May 27, 2022, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Graciecatt
Would this backup delta flight still be refundable if I checked in? It’s 2 hours after my original flight so I wouldn’t have much time to check in if I needed to take the backup delta flight.
Yes. Also note it doesn't need be a refundable fare. Unlike AA, DL grants 24hr (technically midnight day after purchase so up to 48hrs) free cancel for all tickets.
Old May 27, 2022, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes. Also note it doesn't need be a refundable fare. Unlike AA, DL grants 24hr (technically midnight day after purchase so up to 48hrs) free cancel for all tickets.
oh ok. I bought it Wednesday for a Monday flight. So I'm beyond the 24 hours. I read somewhere else that, if I check in and then need to cancel, it's fully refundable until the flight takes off.

But if I check in and do not take the flight and do not cancel before it takes off, it is no longer refundable.
Old May 27, 2022, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Last week I abandoned a flight ATL-TPA when it became three hours late. I also booked a backup flight myself while I waited. It also started to show delays (past a midnight departure). So I left. Tried to stop at the ticket counter as I left the airport to cancel. Jammed. Called while driving home to cancel both trips. When they called back at 1AM, they told me both had been automatically cancelled and already refunded. So they are still being lenient.
Graciecatt and JPG3392 like this.
Old May 30, 2022, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

oh ok. I bought it Wednesday for a Monday flight. So I'm beyond the 24 hours. I read somewhere else that, if I check in and then need to cancel, it's fully refundable until the flight takes off.

But if I check in and do not take the flight and do not cancel before it takes off, it is no longer refundable.
This has never been true for fully refundable tickets (where fare rules “penalties” section says “Changes/Cancellations Permitted”).
It is true for nonrefundable tickets but has even waived given the difficulty in speaking to an agent to cancel.

Whether or not you checked in is irrelevant. If you haven’t, the reservation will be auto cancelled at the checkin deadline (T-45/60m). If you have checked in it will be canceled at the boarding deadline (T-10 or 15m).
Graciecatt likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Checking in has no bearing at all. (No airline im aware oawards about checkin status)

DL hasn't imposed no-show penalties since before CV19 hit. Too long wait times on phones being reason. When you don't board the reservation will auto cancel.

If it's refundable, you just need request a refund. (Either on phone or website) Can be done at anytime if refundable fare. Request needs to be put in online by midnight day after purchase for the "24 hour free cancelation" refund.
Graciecatt likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Turns out I didn't need the flight so I called to cancel. I have no status with Delta. I was greeted with "Your wait time is approximately 0 minutes". I thought for sure that meant the wait was so long it broke the system lol. Sure enough, 2 seconds later I'm talking to the rep and getting my flight refunded. I was in shock!
beachmouse and ijgordon like this.
Old May 30, 2022, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ijgordon
This has never been true for fully refundable tickets (where fare rules “penalties” section says “Changes/Cancellations Permitted”).
It is true for nonrefundable tickets but has even waived given the difficulty in speaking to an agent to cancel.

Whether or not you checked in is irrelevant. If you haven’t, the reservation will be auto cancelled at the checkin deadline (T-45/60m). If you have checked in it will be canceled at the boarding deadline (T-10 or 15m).
Isn't the check in deadline (often the same as the deadline for checking bags) still T-30 for domestic flights from many USA airports?
Old May 31, 2022, 5:39 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Refunds (assuming it is simple ticket and simple refund calculation) should take less than a week
Graciecatt likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't the check in deadline (often the same as the deadline for checking bags) still T-30 for domestic flights from many USA airports?
Fair - the default for domestic travel is 30 minutes with or without bags, but there is a fairly long list of exceptions that require 45 or 60 minutes. My home airports are JFK (45m w/o bags, 60m with bags) and LGA (45m excl. "shuttle" flights), so that's what's in my head. DEN is 45 minutes with bags, 30 minutes without.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.