Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can’t get seat assignment on Delta One?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can’t get seat assignment on Delta One?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by onebobobo
Have a D1 TATL trip in a few weeks. 5A, 5D, and 6A blocked on 763. Return trip On A359 only has 4D blocked.
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Those are the same seats I am seeing blocked; I would be happy with either 5A or 5D.
Flew DUB-BOS on the 76K on Saturday and 5A/5D/6A were blocked and didn't get unblocked until they started clearing upgrades/standbys at the gate (checked at T-48/24 and nothing) — although not sure if this will be the case for transcons as well. Contract staff at check-in couldn't unblock them (was in 6D and was trying to switch to row 5), so had to wait until the GAs were at the gate before they were willing to move me.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 8:22 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
As advised upthread; the only agent who was able to touch my PNR for a seat assignment was the gate agent who cleared me off the standby list about an hour before departure. She was nice enough to call the SkyClub so they could print my boarding pass for me.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 3:31 pm

Those are the same seats I am seeing blocked; I would be happy with either 5A or 5D.

I think 5A is the pilot crew rest seat, but you should get one of the other two.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UnevenGray
I think 5A is the pilot crew rest seat, but you should get one of the other two.
It seems like a waste of good real estate to give resting pilots windows. Even with travel now being mostly leisure (so that more people are traveling together), I've observed that there end to be several seats in the center section of D1 that are the last to be chosen.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 4:00 pm

Per the gate agent, she just needed to confirm that the pilot was going to use 5A for our flight before assigning seats. I sat in 5D and there were snap buttons on the overhead bin that I assume are used to fix a curtain for alternate crew rest seating. I just didn't want 6A due to the lack of a window.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Per the gate agent, she just needed to confirm that the pilot was going to use 5A for our flight before assigning seats. I sat in 5D and there were snap buttons on the overhead bin that I assume are used to fix a curtain for alternate crew rest seating. I just didn't want 6A due to the lack of a window.
I'm surprised they needed 5A for pilot rest on a transcon — my DUB-BOS went out with 5A/5D/6A filled with regular passengers (and managed to get the GA to give me 5A since she had already given 5D to a standby/upgrade lol)
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:22 pm

It was HNL-MSP; just short of eight hours.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:23 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It seems like a waste of good real estate to give resting pilots windows. Even with travel now being mostly leisure (so that more people are traveling together), I've observed that there end to be several seats in the center section of D1 that are the last to be chosen.
Some folks don't close their windows, subjecting other nearby passengers to their choice. If a pilot has a window, he's guaranteed not to be beside someone who keeps their window open.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
Some folks don't close their windows, subjecting other nearby passengers to their choice. If a pilot has a window, he's guaranteed not to be beside someone who keeps their window open.
No one is beside someone else's window in a 1-2-1 configuration and those heavy curtains around the pilot rest seats are designed to block light and sound.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
No one is beside someone else's window in a 1-2-1 configuration and those heavy curtains around the pilot rest seats are designed to block light and sound.
Yes, but how can they place those curtains around one of the 2 center seats? Layout will not work.

I think the curtains are the answer to the point you raise.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Yes, but how can they place those curtains around one of the 2 center seats? Layout will not work.

I think the curtains are the answer to the point you raise.
The curtains should work for center section seats on some aircraft, but not the A350 that doesn't have overhead bins over the center section, just a high ceiling. However, on the A350, I would think that the lack of controllable vents would be a problem with the curtains too.

Some aircraft types have pilot rest "nests" so that the curtained off D1 seats shouldn't be necessary unless a pilot is deadheading to an assignment (so that there are more pilots on board who need rest than there are crew "nest" spaces).
Old Jun 21, 2022, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Done to prevent passengers from knocking into/disturbing pilot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.