Wiki Posts
Search

Booking options after covid delay.

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2022, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Booking options after covid delay.

My wife and I travelled MIA OPO (Porto) for a pretty reasonable 129 k each, biz over, economy back. Except were not back. Rebooked once OPO MIA for an extra 26k each, but may not make that without a negative test. So we may need to rebook again for some currently unknown date between May 25 and early June. My question, are we constrained to OPO MIA due to the original ticket, or could we book, say, LIS FLL or even LIS YYZ as there are ways around the ten day wait going to Canada. I'd rather know ahead what might work when i call, rather than turn it over to a delta agent as last time it took way over an hour to get one not very satisfactory routing back.
And, I assume if I just fly someone else, I'm out all the unspent miles on these tickets?
​​​​

Last edited by bobf; May 21, 2022 at 6:19 am
Old May 21, 2022, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bobf
My wife and I travelled MIA OPO (Porto) for a pretty reasonable 129 k each, biz over, economy back. Except were not back. Rebooked once OPO MIA for an extra 26k each, but may not make that without a negative test. So we may need to rebook again for some currently unknown date between May 25 and early June. My question, are we constrained to OPO MIA due to the original ticket, or could we book, say, LIS FLL or even LIS YYZ as there are ways around the ten day wait going to Canada. I'd rather know ahead what might work when i call, rather than turn it over to a delta agent as last time it took way over an hour to get one not very satisfactory routing back.
And, I assume if I just fly someone else, I'm out all the unspent miles on these tickets?
​​​​
Your post doesn't make sense. What civic delay? You post 10 day wait, thats for testing positive to CV19.

Why are you delayed? This is all that matters for free rebooking. DL isn't going to fly you to YYZ without going through US, so moot point. Also they're not going to fly you there on AF/KL. What is your current routing?

Yes will lose miles, unless flight canceled or was severely delayed.
Old May 21, 2022, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Sorry, Covid was spellchecked to civic and I couldn't edit the subject. Reschedule was due to a positive covid test. Still positive today, three days before new flight. The original 129 k apiece was redeposited and then they took out 155k each, so I guess they are currently charging me 55 k for the coach return.
Old May 21, 2022, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Covid rerouting

Currently we are OPO-AMS-CDG-MIA, all KLM. Original routing was OPO-AMS-BOS'-MIA. I tried "modify flights" and it wouldn't let me do anything, but I didn't know if that was an unsupported option or a temporary system glitch. I just want to understand my options before engaging the plat line again.
Old May 21, 2022, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Currently we are OPO-AMS-CDG-MIA, all KLM. Original routing was OPO-AMS-BOS'-MIA. I tried "modify flights" and it wouldn't let me do anything, but I didn't know if that was an unsupported option or a temporary system glitch. I just want to understand my options before engaging the plat line again.
Skip calling DL. CALL KLM or goto airport one day before flight. Simply tell them your PCR test will be late. KLM has a waiver allowing rebookibg upto four days later for free for "late PCR." Don't mention testing positive, just that your test will be late.
EarlVolFan likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Ah, so this is a simpler way of rebooking that works due to all klm flights even though purchased thru delta w miles? Would I be expected, at the end, to produce a PCR test, or just say I got tired of waiting and did an antigen test?
​​​​​
Old May 22, 2022, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Ah, so this is a simpler way of rebooking that works due to all klm flights even though purchased thru delta w miles? Would I be expected, at the end, to produce a PCR test, or just say I got tired of waiting and did an antigen test?
​​​​​
They won't care. Checkin agent will simply ask for result like normal.

Yes this works since flying KLM. Agent may ask you to call DL to rebook. Simply point out since there's no waiver code to enter for the LATE PCR TEST, DL can't/ won't process the change theirselves. You can also do it at airport with KLM agent.

FWIW, the Canadian KLM number is usually the quickest to get through.
Old May 22, 2022, 3:03 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Skip calling DL. CALL KLM or goto airport one day before flight. Simply tell them your PCR test will be late. KLM has a waiver allowing rebookibg upto four days later for free for "late PCR." Don't mention testing positive, just that your test will be late.

We're talking about a health concern, not a formality of bypassing covid rules.

Not reporting a positive covid test could get you sued or put in jail. And yes, there's a record of this, both on this forum and with the airline.

flyerCO, you usually give pretty good advice, but lying about a covid test in a foreign country or purposely evading covid rules is a very bad idea.

Last edited by Goodoldflyer; May 22, 2022 at 3:23 am
Old May 22, 2022, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
We're talking about a health concern, not a formality of bypassing covid rules.

Not reporting a positive covid test could get you sued or put in jail. And yes, there's a record of this, both on this forum and with the airline.

flyerCO, you usually give pretty good advice, but lying about a covid test in a foreign country or purposely evading covid rules is a very bad idea.

i never suggested they fly if still positive. What i was suggesting was a way to rebook up to 4 days later without needing to pay any fare difference. (Allowing time to no longer be positive) OP had already rebooked to a later date, but was concerned might need a few days extra. The waiver cover LATE tests, not testing positive.

Note the other post were we even discuss presenting the negative test.
Old May 22, 2022, 4:37 am

i never suggested they fly if still positive. What i was suggesting was a way to rebook up to 4 days later without needing to pay any fare difference. (Allowing time to no longer be positive) OP had already rebooked to a later date, but was concerned might need a few days extra. The waiver cover LATE tests, not testing positive.

Note the other post were we even discuss presenting the negative test.
This was the part I took issue with:

Don't mention testing positive, just that your test will be late.
You can't do this if you've tested positive. We can't pretend we didn't have the rest of the conversation.

I see what you were getting at, but the two ways to get to recovery are to take another test that comes out negative or to wait the prescribed number of days. You can't take a test and pretend you didn't if the results don't align with your purpose.
Old May 22, 2022, 5:33 am
Original Poster

You can't do this if you've tested positive. We can't pretend we didn't have the rest of the conversation.

I see what you were getting at, but the two ways to get to recovery are to take another test that comes out negative or to wait the prescribed number of days. You can't take a test and pretend you didn't if the results don't align with your purpose.
ttest , since you

Yes, we will have to provide one of these. I don't know why what we say or don't say about previous positive tests matter in conversations with an airline.
Old May 22, 2022, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

There is NO requirement that you report if you tested positive. Sorry, but the US, nor the airlines require this.

To fly one must either

1)present a negative test OR
2)present a positive within 90 days AND a letter documenting that you're good to fly..

Option 1 doesn't require reporting previous positive test.
Old May 22, 2022, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

ttest , since you

Yes, we will have to provide one of these. I don't know why what we say or don't say about previous positive tests matter in conversations with an airline.
It doesn't. You have no obligation either legal or by airline requirements to report a positive test.
Old May 22, 2022, 6:13 am

There is NO requirement that you report if you tested positive. Sorry, but the US, nor the airlines require this.

To fly one must either

1)present a negative test OR
2)present a positive within 90 days AND a letter documenting that you're good to fly..

Option 1 doesn't require reporting previous positive test.
There are lots of people who don't take covid seriously. Sure, it will soon be endemic.

But if contact tracing to someone who died of covid came back to you, I wouldn't want to be the guy who had to explain that his wife tested positive, twice, but they somehow exploited a technicality in the way a different airline handled covid testing. I'd rather be the guy who did due diligence to make sure his wife wasn't infectious before traveling, and erred on the side of full disclosure.

I feel certain that this is what Bobf is ultimately going for.

Going to Canada? Flying a different airline? Failing to mention a positive test? These seem like searching the rules for a way to exploit a technicality in a form.

I'm actually surprised that the attestation isn't worded a little differently. But maybe you guys are right, and it really is that easy to skirt the process.

Sorry, didn't mean to belabor the point, and I agree that there's no reason to add information if the airline and government aren't requesting it. Seems odd to me that the attestation isn't worded a bit differently.

Last edited by Goodoldflyer; May 22, 2022 at 6:31 am
Old May 22, 2022, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

There are lots of people who don't take covid seriously. Sure, it will soon be endemic.

But if contact tracing to someone who died of covid came back to you, I wouldn't want to be the guy who had to explain that his wife tested positive, twice, but they somehow exploited a technicality in the way a different airline handled covid testing. I'd rather be the guy who did due diligence to make sure his wife wasn't infectious before traveling, and erred on the side of full disclosure.

I feel certain that this is what Bobf is ultimately going for.

Going to Canada? Flying a different airline? Failing to mention a positive test? These seem like searching the rules for a way to exploit a technicality in a form.

I'm actually surprised that the attestation isn't worded a little differently. But maybe you guys are right, and it really is that easy to skirt the process.

Sorry, didn't mean to belabor the point, and I agree that there's no reason to add information if the airline and government aren't requesting it. Seems odd to me that the attestation isn't worded a bit differently.

Just like security (for most part) this requirement is a feel good measure. It's designed to make population feel better. However in reality it does little to nothing. Even most medical professionals have stated testing does nothing to prevent spread.

Most people are no longer spreading CV19 within 10 days (if not shorter) of 1st testing positive.

I 100% agree if you tested positive, you shouldn't be going anywhere for 7-10 days or till test negative (whichever is shorter).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.