Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Meals - "FEBO"

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2022, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Eastbound vs westbound can be ambiguous or at least not obvious on some routes.
However with limited flight numbers, it makes sense. Ie a number of flights are now same number both directions.
Old May 21, 2022, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Yeah, but why do it "randomly" or even with the appearance of randomness? What purpose does that serve?

Also, I agree, I wasn't trying to compare eastbound vs westbound to the flight number method, just noting for the sake of other airlines also change the order based on a strange criteria.
Old May 21, 2022, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
Yeah, but why do it "randomly" or even with the appearance of randomness? What purpose does that serve?
It prevents some seats being better than others for meal preference reasons.
ijgordon likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 5:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Were you on an A330/767?widebodies don't follow this.

Why would you get points? You got lucky a year ago. Agent felt bad and gave points. At least here you were offered an actual meal..
It was the flight leader that gave me the points for running out of snack boxes without me asking for the points. That flight was a 767.
The widebodies are off that route for the summer.
FEBO is their policy. Passengers should not have to remind crews what their policy is.
I have never seen a flight on this route where the vegetarian option ran out first. On the return ATL-PHX for lunch they had 3 choices and 2 were vegetarian (one was Impossible Burger). Even numbered flight and they started in the front. The odd numbered flights are really the true test of FEBO.
Old May 21, 2022, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
It was the flight leader that gave me the points for running out of snack boxes without me asking for the points. That flight was a 767.
The widebodies are off that route for the summer.
FEBO is their policy. Passengers should not have to remind crews what their policy is.
I have never seen a flight on this route where the vegetarian option ran out first. On the return ATL-PHX for lunch they had 3 choices and 2 were vegetarian (one was Impossible Burger).
FEBO has exception for widebody equipment. Also im not sure FEBO is stated nowadays as policy even for narrowbody. I was told once they started using same flight number both directions (couple years back) FEBO was no longer policy.
Old May 21, 2022, 9:30 pm

What’s the status of F meal preorder these days ?
Old May 22, 2022, 3:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why does it matter for FEBO that some routes use the same flight number in both directions? If roughly half of DL narrow body flights have odd numbers and half even numbers, then FEBO is a predictable way to take meal orders half of the time from the front and half of the time from the back. Hence on some flights, front seats will be more desirable and seats farther back will be more desirable on other flights. The system would still work as intended.
FlyBitcoin likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Why does it matter for FEBO that some routes use the same flight number in both directions? If roughly half of DL narrow body flights have odd numbers and half even numbers, then FEBO is a predictable way to take meal orders half of the time from the front and half of the time from the back. Hence on some flights, front seats will be more desirable and seats farther back will be more desirable on other flights. The system would still work as intended.
FEBO worked well because flight numbers used to be odd one direction and even the other. Most OAL still follow this. US airlines have been running out of numbers and resorted to same number both directions FEBO was designed so that one direction meals were from front, the other from back.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 5:06 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
FEBO worked well because flight numbers used to be odd one direction and even the other. Most OAL still follow this. US airlines have been running out of numbers and resorted to same number both directions FEBO was designed so that one direction meals were from front, the other from back.
What objective would the one direction versus the other direction procedure satisfy? The idea is to have an easily understandable rule that results in roughly half of the narrow body flights taking meal orders from the front and roughly half from the back. Trying to use east/west or north/south just adds potential confusion, as would (for example) a to versus from the center of the country (STL?) rule. If you don't like flight numbers, we could use the last digit (odd versus even) of the segment's scheduled departure time, assuming that they're evenly distributed.
Old May 22, 2022, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

What objective would the one direction versus the other direction procedure satisfy? The idea is to have an easily understandable rule that results in roughly half of the narrow body flights taking meal orders from the front and roughly half from the back. Trying to use east/west or north/south just adds potential confusion, as would (for example) a to versus from the center of the country (STL?) rule. If you don't like flight numbers, we could use the last digit (odd versus even) of the segment's scheduled departure time, assuming that they're evenly distributed.
The whole point of FEBO was ensuring if you liked the front seats, you got meal preference one direction, if you like back seats you got it the other. Everyone flying RT got equal chance this way. FEBO was simply an easier acronym than FEBW or FWBE or BEFW or BWFE. Worked fine till airlines went to using same number roundtrip. They're still supposed to do the same thing as before, just based on east/west and north/south.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
The whole point of FEBO was ensuring if you liked the front seats, you got meal preference one direction, if you like back seats you got it the other. Everyone flying RT got equal chance this way. FEBO was simply an easier acronym than FEBW or FWBE or BEFW or BWFE. Worked fine till airlines went to using same number roundtrip. They're still supposed to do the same thing as before, just based on east/west and north/south.
Ahh, this kind of makes sense now, although I still find it strange that they do this. Any given seat on any given plane is going to be better in some ways and worse in others compared to other seats. So it seems weird to focus so much on developing a "randomized" plan for order taking. I can see the logic, just seems not worth it to me, but maybe I don't value meal choice as highly as others.
Old May 22, 2022, 9:18 am

amazingly, it still works even after airlines use the same number for both directions. The system overall doesn't need to ensure that one particular route has service from the front one way and from the back the other way in order for the deisred effect to be achieved.

Like, the individual passengers are still able to select different seats on each flight, and most people don't just take the plane to a city and immediately fly back on the same plane.

In my experience, most routes where they use the same flight number in both directions are too short to have meal service anyway.
GagaPilot and FlyBitcoin like this.
Old May 22, 2022, 9:29 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
What’s the status of F meal preorder these days ?
Currently limited to D1, plus select domestic F routes with upgraded service. Pre-order discussion has its own thread, keep an eye on that one for updates:

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread
Mister Nice likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 10:21 am

Then you choose whether you want the meal choice more than your preferred seat location for this trip and maybe for your next trip you can get a meal choice in the seats you like best in both directions. Problem solved.
FlyBitcoin likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 5:54 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
While I understand that the cabin crew does not necessarily have this information, a system that gave priority for ordering to someone who had paid for the FC seat weeks ago vs. someone who had been upgraded in the last 5 days or at the gate would be the fairest. I have certainly seen situations where non-revs were given the last choices, mostly on long haul D1 flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.