Interesting recognition by DL

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2022, 12:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Interesting recognition by DL

Just an observation.....

For several years leading up to the pandemic and even after it's been apparent that DL is only focused on what you mean to them today in terms of monetary value, the new changes to the SkyClub only reinforcing that. Actual SkyClub members are being restricted but Amex Centurion card holders aren't is a perfect example of this.

For years (between 2013-2019) I would get thanked at every interaction (telephone DM agents, SkyClub agents, gate agent, FC FA's, etc) for being a Diamond Medallion. In mid-2020 I hit MM status and ever since then that's the only recognition/thanks I get - "Thank you for being a million miler." Now let me say public recognition and/or "thanks for being xyz" is something I actually don't like so this post isn't about not being recognized for being a DM. Rather it seems a bit contradictory to their strategy given DL's focus on current HVC's. Theoretically, one could be a MM but not have flown DL in 2-3 years, whereas DM's (specifically those like myself who earned it last year for 2022) are constantly flying and spending $15k+ on them, so it's confusing why MM appears to be more important than being a DM.
Old May 10, 2022, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Here's an explanation: Everyone knows what MM means, but the status levels not so much? Is Diamond below Silver or not? Hence many employees are more impressed by MM status than DM.
DiverDave likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 2:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
I have found that the flight attendants really zero in on the MM status, so I think it must be part of their training. And their training may not reflect the what-are-you-doing-for-me-this-year focus of Virginia Avenue headquarters. JMO. Most of the phone and counter agents seem more focused on the Diamond status.
Old May 10, 2022, 5:08 pm

MM is posted on the passenger list the flight attendant sees, and it is there as a separate column. So for example

Adam Smith DM.
Mary Jones. GM. 2MM
Steve Park. PM

So it is no wonder MM stands out to the FAs who think Mary is more important/Loyal than Adam
MSPeconomist and VFR like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 5:15 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Up in the Air
Old May 10, 2022, 5:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM
I'm only 6xx,xxx miles away...
Adelphos and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by SteveinA2
MM is posted on the passenger list the flight attendant sees, and it is there as a separate column. So for example

Adam Smith DM.
Mary Jones. GM. 2MM
Steve Park. PM

So it is no wonder MM stands out to the FAs who think Mary is more important/Loyal than Adam
And I think a lot of people could have a very good discussion/debate as to whether or not Mary is more important/loyal than Adam!
Old May 10, 2022, 5:50 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by golfr
your liver thanks you
golfr likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 6:52 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Recent flight LHR-US purser/lead acknowledged and thanked me for DM and MM status.
And then stopped back to tell me I was the ‘mileage winner’ on the flight with my 2.3 million lifetime miles. Didn’t get an extra dessert or a bottle of wine to take home. But did learn that he had started out with PanAm and we both lamented the loss of Asian destinations.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LikeaGVI
...... Rather it seems a bit contradictory to their strategy given DL's focus on current HVC's. Theoretically, one could be a MM but not have flown DL in 2-3 years, whereas DM's (specifically those like myself who earned it last year for 2022) are constantly flying and spending $15k+ on them, so it's confusing why MM appears to be more important than being a DM.
Or, perhaps the metric hasn't changed on who gets thanked when, but they just use that MM "title" instead. Like maybe a MM (not a DM) wouldn't get recognized but you would, just that they use the more impressive title when they interact with you.
Old May 11, 2022, 1:29 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by golfr
Yeah, i'm in my upper 30s and I'm at around 350K. I think if I keep my job the next 10 years or so I will hit MM.
golfr likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Yeah, i'm in my upper 30s and I'm at around 350K. I think if I keep my job the next 10 years or so I will hit MM.
it's interesting to learn of others' travel patterns. When I signed on to my current job role in October of 2015, I had about 50k miles toward MM, primarily from one leisure trip to Ireland and a couple years of shuttling between PDX and GEG every couple of weeks on AS, back when I could plug my SkyMiles number into the reservation and get segment credit on DL. Made Silver on segments two years in a row without setting foot on a single Delta flight.

6.5 years later, I am sitting at 919,402 and will probably hit MM in October or so. Over 800 domestic segments in that period, and only 4 international (ATL-YYZ-ATL and SEA-YVR-SEA).

I probably won't stick around for 2mm, but the first million will be a fun milestone.
Old May 11, 2022, 9:20 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I did my first MM on NW -- took about 20 years. My second MM was after the merger and took me less than 10. The NW was mostly domestic (used my Fly-Write coupons to upgrade to "Executive Class" ) and the DL years were lots of TATL flights and a couple TPAC. Plus a bunch of shuttling between LAX and ATL due to family issues.

My 2MM came around the time I fell from grace (i.e. no longer DM) -- and I haven't flown DL since Jan 2020 so I can't really tell greetings have changed. But I guess these days if they thanked PM the planes would never leave on time. The 2MM has impressed some FA (and some passengers)

As I was (still am, I guess) self-employed, all of that came from my own pocket -- though clients paid some indirectly. They had small, fixed budgets so anything I spent on hotel/airfare was money they didn't spend on me And the leisure travel was financed by them to, if you want to be pedantic

And no chance of 3MM...
mot29 likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 11:27 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
I just flew MSP -AMS in D1, and when I woke up in the morning I found an envelope with a handwritten note thanking me for being a PM and MM.i was a bit surprised that someone would actually reach over the closed door to drop the note, but a nice touch anyway.
Old May 12, 2022, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by drminn
I just flew MSP -AMS in D1, and when I woke up in the morning I found an envelope with a handwritten note thanking me for being a PM and MM.i was a bit surprised that someone would actually reach over the closed door to drop the note, but a nice touch anyway.
BA used to do this.
I've had a card - once - in 687 flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.