Wiki Posts
Search

Best check in at ATL

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2022, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: delta diamond, Hilton Diamond
Best check in at ATL

Greetings, My son and I will be taking a 9:40am flight from ATL to SEA on a Monday. We will have to check bags including a bike. We will be staying at a Hilton property by the airport the night before and taking an airport shuttle. Although I have connected through ATL tons I have never originated from there. Read horror stories about lines in ATL. What time should we get there and are there any tips on where to check in or where to get through security. I am Diamind and he is Platinum...both pre-check...I have clear but he does not. Thanks in advance.
Old May 7, 2022, 4:33 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
On a Monday morning, I'd arrive no less than 90 minutes before your flight and probably closer to 2 hours. You'll want to check in at the far-right desk and you'll need to use the backside of that desk because of the bicycle. They'll make you take the bicycle to an oversized luggage screening location once it's tagged and all of your other luggage is loaded on the conveyer belt. It isn't particularly far... maybe 100-150'.

The precheck and clear lines are right next to that desk. Since only one of you has clear, just take precheck. I have both and have given up on clear because that line is rarely faster than precheck.
Old May 7, 2022, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tbeard
Greetings, My son and I will be taking a 9:40am flight from ATL to SEA on a Monday. We will have to check bags including a bike. We will be staying at a Hilton property by the airport the night before and taking an airport shuttle. Although I have connected through ATL tons I have never originated from there. Read horror stories about lines in ATL. What time should we get there and are there any tips on where to check in or where to get through security. I am Diamind and he is Platinum...both pre-check...I have clear but he does not. Thanks in advance.
If staying at a property that will drop at International side, go there. Very short lines. However not all (majority) haven't paid the extra fee to use the international side. DL has checkin on both sides. It doesn't matter if flight is/isn't international.
tbeard likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 1:02 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
If you have Pre-Check, ATL isn't that bad. You'll be arriving close to peak hour, but you should still get through security in 15 minutes or less IME.

The best way to check bags is currently the dedicated TSA PreCheck bag drop lobby. I've never had a wait to check a bag there, and in fact I've always been the only person there so far (3 times, I don't usually check a bag)!

https://www.passengerterminaltoday.c...a-airport.html

However, I am not sure if they will accept oversize bags there, and I'm not sure if your hotel shuttle will drop you there (it's on the lower level; shuttles used to drop off there but they've changed it a lot over the last couple of years so I'm not sure anymore). If you can confirm the ability to drop off there, and they will accept your bike, you'll find it a great experience.

If not, I agree the International terminal is typically much less busy, but I wouldn't stress with your status you won't be waiting too long at the regular terminal either.
tbeard likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 1:28 pm

The precheck lobby won’t take oversized items.

Also, it’s not available to all precheck —delta must have your biometrics on file and you must have accepted their use.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 2:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
I would sign Junior up for Clear now. Otherwise, the advice is spot on. Shame there is the oversized item. That is going to cost you some time and trouble.

But two travelers with pre-check and Clear would virtually eliminate the odds of a long security line delay situation for you.
Old May 7, 2022, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
I would sign Junior up for Clear now. Otherwise, the advice is spot on. Shame there is the oversized item. That is going to cost you some time and trouble.

But two travelers with pre-check and Clear would virtually eliminate the odds of a long security line delay situation for you.
Clear is a waste in ATL. Precheck is shorter 99.9% of the time.

Recently the lines are more Delta check in related rather than the TSA.
Old May 7, 2022, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog

Our experience is quite the opposite. I'd be interested in what others are saying. Is there a thread on this?
turkeyRIOO likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by NoleATL
Our experience is quite the opposite. I'd be interested in what others are saying. Is there a thread on this?
It shows up sporadically.

Clear used to be useful when they were in the mid-terminal. Also, clear got bad when Amex started giving it away.

Now that pre-clear is on the South side, the TSA only uses 1-2 scanners for clear vs >6 for precheck. While the precheck line may be longer, it moves much faster. Previously there were 3 scanners for both lines and clear had priority over pre.
golfr likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 4:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Earlier this year when I only had precheck, I got stuck behind 9 rows. Saw the clear line zip right through. Then, I got clear and been smooth sailing since then. No brainer since Amex paid for it.
Old May 7, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD

I am not sure PreCheck is shorter than Clear, but I agree Clear is a minimal advantage at best. I've flown out of ATL 11 times this year and the PreCheck line and Clear are right next to each other, so you get a good idea of the difference. I've never wished I had Clear. I definitely wouldn't sign up for it just for one trip, that's for sure.
Old May 7, 2022, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I am not sure PreCheck is shorter than Clear, but I agree Clear is a minimal advantage at best. I've flown out of ATL 11 times this year and the PreCheck line and Clear are right next to each other, so you get a good idea of the difference. I've never wished I had Clear. I definitely wouldn't sign up for it just for one trip, that's for sure.
Agree with user about Clear since changes. Clear at minimum use to be as good as the Precheck lane, never worse. However since the changes to only using 2 or 3 (2 in my experience) lanes, the norm is that it takes longer.

Now for non-Precheck users, Clear wins hands down.
cre95 and emma dog like this.
Old May 7, 2022, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL - PM (demoted with Amex waiver increase) and 1 MM
I have been at ATL with CLEAR and Pre Check at a number of different times. On Monday mornings, the CLEAR line is longer. At just about every other time, CLEAR is shorter.
FlyBitcoin likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Ludicrous.
Old May 8, 2022, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by indufan
Ludicrous.
Since redesign it's not. Clear is faster than normal lane, but Clear Precheck lane is regularly slower than Precheck normal lane. Even the Vlear agents acknowledge this. Wouldn't be bad if Clear PC lane got to use all the PC security lanes. However that's not the case, Clear PC gets like 3 lanes, while Precheck gets 6 or more.
emma dog likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.