delays in AMS this past weekend ques.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2022, 8:26 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
delays in AMS this past weekend ques.

The email I received from TPG a few minutes ago, noted that due to staffing issues lots of AMS flights were cancelled and/or delayed, TPG notes pax were being advised to "stay home = don't come to the airport."
Since DL uses AMS as a major European hub DL pax could be in serious trouble connecting.
My question: in this sort of situation would DL allow pax (in lieu of flying) to take a train to their destination? [Implied in my ques. is that DL would pay for the train.]
PS: Europe has an EXCELLENT high-speed train network.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
Not sure that I would want to take a train from AMS to ATH next month.🙃🤭
Old Apr 25, 2022, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by nrr
The email I received from TPG a few minutes ago, noted that due to staffing issues lots of AMS flights were cancelled and/or delayed, TPG notes pax were being advised to "stay home = don't come to the airport."
Since DL uses AMS as a major European hub DL pax could be in serious trouble connecting.
My question: in this sort of situation would DL allow pax (in lieu of flying) to take a train to their destination? [Implied in my ques. is that DL would [b]pay for the train.]
PS: Europe has an EXCELLENT high-speed train network.
The issues were due to a ground/baggage handler strike on Saturday which impacted operations to such an extent on Saturday that it extended to Sunday and possibly beyond. I flew through AMS yesterday (connecting from GVA). I literally saw them holding people from leaving the Schengen departure/arrival area into the baggage area. I presume it must have been a mess where bags were being delivered. My own flight into AMS was delayed by over an hour due to lingering affects of the strike. I thought I might get stuck in Amsterdam overnight but my connecting JFK flight was also delayed. My baggage didn't make it, and now I'm having a mess tracking it down.

My guess is if the destination is short enough to go by train, you might be taking a train anyway. Would Delta pay for the train? Possibly. They've paid for my rental car to drive from Vancouver to Seattle before in order to make my connection out of Seattle due to a delayed Vancouver to Seattle segment. But the train isn't necessarily a reasonable option for many flights unless the destination is a few hours (by train) away.

Dave
Old Apr 25, 2022, 11:58 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
I don't see it happening.

Baggage handling strikes are out of control of the airlines.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
I don't see it happening.

Baggage handling strikes are out of control of the airlines.
The striking bagagge handlers are employed by KLM and were striking because of KLMs management decisions to outsource their jobs

So in this instamce it is 100% under their control.
Gig103, hi55us, Spiff and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The striking bagagge handlers are employed by KLM and were striking because of KLMs management decisions to outsource their jobs

I didn't realize that.

In that case, it's a straight up cash value situation.

I wonder why KLM would want to outsource their jobs? /s
Old Apr 25, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM

You may have an issue with that argument. In most cases strikes are considered "force majeure" and out of the control of the airline. I think EU 261 does not apply in case of strike.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drminn
You may have an issue with that argument. In most cases strikes are considered "force majeure" and out of the control of the airline. I think EU 261 does not apply in case of strike.
And you'd be wrong with that thought.

The European Court of Justice has ruled that strikes aren't automatically an exclusion from EU261 - it depends who is striking and who their employers are.

In this case as the striking employees are directly employed by the airline (KLM) there isn't an exception and EU261 provisions re compensation and duty of care provisions kick in (depending on the length of the delay)
etiene and Spiff like this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 1:26 pm

And you'd be wrong with that thought.

The European Court of Justice has ruled that strikes aren't automatically an exclusion from EU261 - it depends who is striking and who their employers are.

In this case as the striking employees are directly employed by the airline (KLM) there isn't an exception and EU261 provisions re compensation and duty of care provisions kick in (depending on the length of the delay)
Agreed and due to this if I missed my connection I would have been owed 600 EUR. Instead only my baggage missed my connection and I don't believe you are compensated for that under EU 261 (even though it's already disrupted much of my time - at least a few hours tracking things down). It doesn't appear my bag is ending up on one of the four flights scheduled today per Delta. Things are definitely not back under control in AMS. Apparently KLM is circulating emails to Delta blaming "baggage carts". My guess it's strike related.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Baggage isn't covered by EU261 but by the Montreal Convention and even then there isn't compensation just for having a bag delayed.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 1:43 pm

Baggage isn't covered by EU261 but by the Montreal Convention and even then there isn't compensation just for having a bag delayed.
Right, but many flights are still being delayed and/or cancelled due to the strike and its after effects, which would be covered by EU261.
lindros2 and Spiff like this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by dave456
Right, but many flights are still being delayed and/or cancelled due to the strike and its after effects, which would be covered by EU261.
Ah, EU261/2004
Old Apr 25, 2022, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dave456
Yes EU261 covers delayed flights but it does not provide compensation for delayed baggage.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 5:41 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Yes EU261 covers delayed flights but it does not provide compensation for delayed baggage.
But... flights are delayed BECAUSE of a baggage handler strike.
Wondering how they're going to spin that.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lindros2
But... flights are delayed BECAUSE of a baggage handler strike.
Wondering how they're going to spin that.
He means EC261 doesn't provide compensation for delayed bags, but it provides compensation for delayed passengers. Passenger gets paid if they're late, but not if they're on time but with no bags. The only rule in terms of bags in EC261 is that after 21 days airline must pay out as a lost bag, even if they find it/deliver it after 21 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.