Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STT to ATL diverted a day in advance?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2022, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
And for the record this will be a tech stop, not a divert.

David
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Would the change from a non-stop STT-ATL/JFK to a one stop STT-STX-ATL/JFK allow for one to request a full refund (not voucher)?
Old Apr 14, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by LikeaGVI
Would the change from a non-stop STT-ATL/JFK to a one stop STT-STX-ATL/JFK allow for one to request a full refund (not voucher)?
Thats not a question the typical FT reader can answer reliably. You should ask the carrier.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Allan38103
Thats not a question the typical FT reader can answer reliably. You should ask the carrier.
Au contraire, there's a much better chance of someone on FT answering the question correctly than there is of some random DL phone agent giving the correct answer. OTOH, correct or not, DL employees will determine whether you can get a refund or not, so HUCA a few times until you get the "correct" answer (or the answer you want) might be something to try.
CPMaverick and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
in typical/traditional FT-speak, “YMMV”
  • there’s a correct answer per policy, and there’s a “correct” answer which is the one you want
  • as I’ve mentioned at least a dozen times in various threads over the years, policy isn’t what’s written; policy is what’s practiced
imho, if DL announced the tech stop for refueling at the gate, the answer would be “No” because it’s a near-real-time operational decision … in this case, where they’ve provided 24 hrs or more advance notice, I think you could make a solid case

*BUT* also imho, I think the odds of convincing them aren’t particularly great, short of you playing a DYKWIA card
Old Apr 14, 2022, 10:44 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
Is the term "flag stop" still used for this--a term lifted from passenger railroad days?

In the early 2000s, we had a LGA-MSY flight that stopped somewhere in the Carolinas for fuel. It was explained winds were unusually high.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 12:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PersonalFlotationDevice
Is the term "flag stop" still used for this--a term lifted from passenger railroad days?

In the early 2000s, we had a LGA-MSY flight that stopped somewhere in the Carolinas for fuel. It was explained winds were unusually high.
Didn't "flag stop" mean that the train would stop to pick up (or discharge) a passenger if there was an indication (via the reservation system now but historically by the station master or other local railroad employee literally holding up a flag at the station? IIRC some long line bus companies, such as Greyhound, had the same policy of stopping only if there was an indication that passengers were waiting.

These are very different scenarios from a plane (or other mode of transportation) planning to stop with certainty to take on fuel (or crew, etc.).
Old Apr 15, 2022, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrl767
in typical/traditional FT-speak, “YMMV”
  • there’s a correct answer per policy, and there’s a “correct” answer which is the one you want
  • as I’ve mentioned at least a dozen times in various threads over the years, policy isn’t what’s written; policy is what’s practiced
imho, if DL announced the tech stop for refueling at the gate, the answer would be “No” because it’s a near-real-time operational decision … in this case, where they’ve provided 24 hrs or more advance notice, I think you could make a solid case

*BUT* also imho, I think the odds of convincing them aren’t particularly great, short of you playing a DYKWIA card
It shouldn't matter. The only real difference being when one would know to ask for a refund/decide not to fly. Wait till at gate, passengers have already checked in, bags loaded, etc.. A day before, passenger has time to decide not to fly. Either way it's an extra stop, so refund is possible.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 2:07 pm
Suspended

DL ops @ STT

For the past week DL’s flights to ATL, JFK & BOS have been stopping at either STX or SJU on the return flights for what others are claiming as a tech stop for refueling. STT-ATL/JFK/BOS are all only ~3.5-3:45 hours so well under the 757’s range. AA’s STT-PHL/JFK/CLT flights all yesterday made it non-stop. Heck even yesterday’s AA STT-DFW, which is just under 6-hours, made it non-stop which has to be close to the range of the A319.

Why is DL not able to fly return flights non-stop?

Last edited by LikeaGVI; Apr 17, 2022 at 2:15 pm
Old Apr 17, 2022, 2:31 pm

I believe there is another active thread on same subject and it was determined there is a fuel shortage at STT.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chfenton
I believe there is another active thread on same subject and it was determined there is a fuel shortage at STT.
So how is AA not impacted yesterday when flying farther flights than DL?
Old Apr 17, 2022, 2:45 pm

I'm no expert, and hopefully someone else will confirm but i think it has to do with DL's 757 versus AA's aircraft being different and how much fuel can be bought/loaded right now at STT.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 2:47 pm

Here is the other thread if you are interested

​​​​​​STT to ATL diverted a day in advance?
PanAmSam likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chfenton
Here is the other thread if you are interested

​​​​​​STT to ATL diverted a day in advance?
Thank you for sharing that. I was aware of that thread, but my question is why is this impacting DL but not AA when AA needs more fuel for their flights and still able to fly non-stop whereas DL is diverting all their flights and they’re shorter?
Old Apr 17, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by LikeaGVI
So how is AA not impacted yesterday when flying farther flights than DL?
AA was diverting planes on Friday and had one listed today as flying to SJU but changed to MIA after taking off. Can be a function of cargo, passenger capacity, and overall airplane performance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.