Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tonight in Illogical Diversions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2022, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Tonight in Illogical Diversions

Found it odd that tonight's DL2338 ATL-DFW after quite a few turns in a hold SW of TYR has opted to divert to MEM of all stations

So many better, closer airports that are not where this nasty line of storms is going to be in 12-18 hours once the flight cancels and crew gets its minimum rest.

Immediately after getting the new clearance to MEM they had to deviate south of the new course to El Dorado, Ark.

No DL gates available tonight in AUS/HOU/IAH/SAT? Airports that are not in the path of the storm.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 11:19 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Herb687
Found it odd that tonight's DL2338 ATL-DFW after quite a few turns in a hold SW of TYR has opted to divert to MEM of all stations

So many better, closer airports that are not where this nasty line of storms is going to be in 12-18 hours once the flight cancels and crew gets its minimum rest.

Immediately after getting the new clearance to MEM they had to deviate south of the new course to El Dorado, Ark.

No DL gates available tonight in AUS/HOU/IAH/SAT? Airports that are not in the path of the storm.
For DL, looks like BOS and DTW diverted to SAT and SLC and LGA diverted to AUS. JFK diverted to SHV. Rough night heading to DFW!
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Flight continued afte some time on ground. They likely had time.

Also MEM is only 30 minutes more than SAT/AUS.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe MEM was chosen because it has empty gate space and perhaps lower parking and other fees for planes. Since it once was a hub (for PMNW, not just cargo), there might still be excess capacity there.
wrp96 and becks1 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe MEM was chosen because it has empty gate space and perhaps lower parking and other fees for planes. Since it once was a hub (for PMNW, not just cargo), there might still be excess capacity there.
Last I knew gates in terminal were changed/in process of changing to serve FedEx.

MEM might not have lots of passenger traffic, but has lots of planes.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
You can't think of this in a vacuum. Crews typically determine their alternate airport before takeoff and they have to account for where other planes are scheduled to divert to, especially when storms are predicted at a very busy destination like DFW. So a certain number of planes will choose SAT as their alternate, a certain number of planes will choose AUS, a certain number will choose MEM, etc. They can't all choose SAT or AUS or those stations will be completely overwhelmed if a large number of planes need to divert.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Flight continued afte some time on ground. They likely had time.
Glad to hear that the crew didn't go illegal upon blocking in at MEM.

Also MEM is only 30 minutes more than SAT/AUS.
Well that would matter a lot when you have 29 minutes of fuel in the tanks, wouldn't it?

Seriously though, my point was not as much about MEM being further from DFW than SAT/AUS/IAH but rather the fact that MEM was right in the path of the big storm system. Thought the crew might go illegal in MEM and then wake up fresh today just in time for +TSRA to start battering MEM!
Old Apr 5, 2022, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Last I knew gates in terminal were changed/in process of changing to serve FedEx.

MEM might not have lots of passenger traffic, but has lots of planes.
I'm well aware of the FedEx "hub" at MEM; that's why I said "not just cargo." IIRC MEM was a big FexEx "station" long before MEM was de-hubbed by DL.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 9:49 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
There are so many factors that go into choosing a diversion airport I don't think you can say it was illogical.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm well aware of the FedEx "hub" at MEM; that's why I said "not just cargo." IIRC MEM was a big FexEx "station" long before MEM was de-hubbed by DL.
My main point was there might not be space for handling passenger flights. The excess gates/concourses were transformed from passenger handling to cargo.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

AA Typically inundates these other Texas airports when there is weather at DFW and their hub operation diverts. I was on an ATL-DAL flight that diverted to AUS one stormy afternoon and there were at least 12 AA planes parked at remote stands waiting for fuel, three of them 777s. Luckily we were able to use a Delta gate, refuel quickly and back in the air for a bumpy yet safe arrival at DAL.
becks1, wrp96 and PurdueFlyer like this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
MEM just opened a brand new airport concourse and took the old airport made of A, B, and C concourse to one single concourse with all airlines. The only thing ever shared at this airport are the runways and services such as ARFF and ATC, in fact the Fed Ex operation is a way away from the others.

One of the biggest issues I have had in my past diversions is the lack of ground staff to handle additional aircraft so the idea of spreading plans out so they have adequate staff makes total sense.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Wonder why BNA was not an option?
Old Apr 5, 2022, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
OP was initially talking about ATL-DFW, so geographically BNA wouldn’t have made sense as an alternate
Old Apr 6, 2022, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CVFDCHIEF180
MEM just opened a brand new airport concourse and took the old airport made of A, B, and C concourse to one single concourse with all airlines. The only thing ever shared at this airport are the runways and services such as ARFF and ATC, in fact the Fed Ex operation is a way away from the others.

One of the biggest issues I have had in my past diversions is the lack of ground staff to handle additional aircraft so the idea of spreading plans out so they have adequate staff makes total sense.
Last time I had heard they had planned on consolidating down to this one concourse. Everything else was to be blocked off (gates would then be used by FedEx) or torn down to give FedEx extra room..

Reading about the new consolidated concourse,, it's underutilized by 50% of pre-CV19 levels. MEM just can't get a break.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.