Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Skyclub - Access with AMEX Platinum on Air France flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Skyclub - Access with AMEX Platinum on Air France flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2022, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dwhelan5
Thank you! I have TSA precheck and Clear so I’m not too worried about clearing security although there is no Pre Check in terminal E. I may just stick with the AF lounge or hope the Virgin Atlantic lounge is reopened
HUH? What's the basis for entry into the AF or VS lounge? If you're GM+ or have a business class ticket, you can enter any SkyTeam lounge (including DL and AF) on this basis on the day of an international SkyTeam itinerary, with no AmEx card needed. Since VS isn't a SkyTeam member, I don't think an AF ticket would work for its lounges unless there's a special arrangement.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 8:49 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
HUH? What's the basis for entry into the AF or VS lounge? If you're GM+ or have a business class ticket, you can enter any SkyTeam lounge (including DL and AF) on this basis on the day of an international SkyTeam itinerary, with no AmEx card needed. Since VS isn't a SkyTeam member, I don't think an AF ticket would work for its lounges unless there's a special arrangement.
If OP has an unbranded Amex Platinum card, they can access the VS lounge under the Amex agreement with Plaza Premium (who now operates them) and the AF lounge via Priority Pass.
ExArkie and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by sweetsleep
If there is a Centurion lounge at BOS perhaps you can use your AMEX Platinum if the lounge is in the same terminal where your flight departs?
There is no so such lounge, so this seems unhelpful to the OP.

But if OP does have an Amex platinum, he should have priority pass access to the Air France lounge at Terminal E, which does exist.

The VS lounge remains closed.

Last edited by Adam1222; Apr 4, 2022 at 9:06 pm
Old Apr 4, 2022, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by dwhelan5
Thank you! I have TSA precheck and Clear so I’m not too worried about clearing security although there is no Pre Check in terminal E. I may just stick with the AF lounge or hope the Virgin Atlantic lounge is reopened
I flew out of terminal E Sunday on AF and they said no precheck, but gave a piece of paper that said Expedited so I was put through as if it was a precheck line. My reservation, originally made through Delta on a Delta flight was changed because my next flight was canceled. So, I had both Delta and AF numbers.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Tangent question;

To get access to the AF lounge in CDG I need to be booked on an AF business class or higher ticket yea? I got denied recently on a business ticket booked through DL on AF metal even with my plat reserve Amex and I assume it's because I booked through DL.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 11:04 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by photojojo
Tangent question;

To get access to the AF lounge in CDG I need to be booked on an AF business class or higher ticket yea? I got denied recently on a business ticket booked through DL on AF metal even with my plat reserve Amex and I assume it's because I booked through DL.
Are you STE+? Never had a problem getting lounge access in CDG... Was the lounge potentially at capacity?
Old Apr 5, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Originally Posted by dcadwell
Are you STE+? Never had a problem getting lounge access in CDG... Was the lounge potentially at capacity?
Lounge was fairly busy, but I'm not STE+. I do a bunch of international trips each year but consistently fail to qualify for anything above GM. If it's within reach I may make the push. What are the mileage thresholds?
Old Apr 5, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Tangent question;

This seems wrong. As a DL 3MM, you're automatically GM which is SkyTeam ElitePlus. As such, you have access to all SkyTeam operated business class departures lounges when traveling the same day on a SkyTeam international itinerary.

The Plat AmEx card doesn't get you into AF lounges (unless they're PP and you show your PP card), but your status and ticket should. Your elite status should be printed on the boarding pass, so if the agent had looked, it should have been obvious that you were entitled to enter. Similarly, a DL or AF business class boarding pass should suffice for AF lounges except the special IFC AF La Premiere lounge at CDG.

The AF arrivals lounge landside at CDG (which AFAIK is still closed) has somewhat different rules.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 11:32 am

Tangent question;

Assuming you're talking about the AF J departure lounges at CDG, then you absolutely should have had access on a DL ticket, particularly given that DL doesn't have any SkyClubs of its own at CDG and the only option are the various AF lounges.

Did they elaborate on why they consider that a DL-coded flight operated by AF in J does not qualify for access? I don't think DL being the marketing airline was the reason. There are hundreds of people per day travelling on DL and AF on each other's flight numbers and it would be utter chaos if this was policy.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: Delta PM
This seems wrong. As a DL 3MM, you're automatically GM which is SkyTeam ElitePlus. As such, you have access to all SkyTeam operated business class departures lounges when traveling the same day on a SkyTeam international itinerary.

The Plat AmEx card doesn't get you into AF lounges (unless they're PP and you show your PP card), but your status and ticket should. Your elite status should be printed on the boarding pass, so if the agent had looked, it should have been obvious that you were entitled to enter. Similarly, a DL or AF business class boarding pass should suffice for AF lounges except the special IFC AF La Premiere lounge at CDG.

The AF arrivals lounge landside at CDG (which AFAIK is still closed) has somewhat different rules.
Didn't even notice the 3MM, but you're absolutely right.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 11:54 am

Your elite status should be printed on the boarding pass, so if the agent had looked, it should have been obvious that you were entitled to enter.
... Funny you say that. I distinctly remember glancing at my ticket as they handed it back to me and nothing to this effect was printed on it. Off memory the only verbiage I saw was just SkyPriority.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:01 pm

... Funny you say that. I distinctly remember glancing at my ticket as they handed it back to me and nothing to this effect was printed on it. Off memory the only verbiage I saw was just SkyPriority.
Were you crediting the flight to DL? If so, did it automatically credit correctly? 9Crediting to another FF program or not having your FF number attached would cause your status not to show.)

However, even without elite status, a business class ticket for either DL or AF should permit entrance into the AF business class departures lounges at CDG.

Just to be sure: It was a DL ticket (006- number DL ticket stock) and DL flight number (probably something like 8XXX) for an AF (mainline) operated flight, right?

I was going to ask also whether it was an international flight, but AFAIK AF only offers coach on its domestic flights.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:15 pm

Were you crediting the flight to DL? If so, did it automatically credit correctly? 9Crediting to another FF program or not having your FF number attached would cause your status not to show.)

However, even without elite status, a business class ticket for either DL or AF should permit entrance into the AF business class departures lounges at CDG.

Just to be sure: It was a DL ticket (006- number DL ticket stock) and DL flight number (probably something like 8XXX) for an AF (mainline) operated flight, right?

I was going to ask also whether it was an international flight, but AFAIK AF only offers coach on its domestic flights.
Having a tiny panic attack here... Something is completely jacked up with my account. My MM numbers are correct but I'm seeing the generic graphics and "Thank you for being a skymiles member" message.

I don't want to keep hijacking this thread, but I'm definitely glad I asked. To answer your questions, you are correct on all assumptions. You've helped explain a lot for me recently and I'm wondering if something glitched out after I hit 3MM a couple of months ago. The lounge access issue, upgrade issues, how my status is/isn't on the tickets and reward redemption issues have all happened after I got the congrats email.

I'm going to hop on the phone for a bit and try to figure this out.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 2:37 pm

Sorry if this was asked before, but I couldn’t find an answer.

I have an upcoming trip, MCO - ATL - CDG booked with delta, but the longhaul is operated by Air France. I have an Amex Platinum.

As far as I know I can enter the Sky club at MCO with my Platin because the shorthaul is operated by delta. But at ATL I cannot enter any Sky Club because my flight is operated by Air France. Correct?
Old Dec 23, 2022, 2:55 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Shinji4u
Sorry if this was asked before, but I couldn’t find an answer.

I have an upcoming trip, MCO - ATL - CDG booked with delta, but the longhaul is operated by Air France. I have an Amex Platinum.

As far as I know I can enter the Sky club at MCO with my Platin because the shorthaul is operated by delta. But at ATL I cannot enter any Sky Club because my flight is operated by Air France. Correct?
That sounds right, based on the DL and AMEX pages about SC access.

Do you or any traveling companion have DL GM+ elite status? What cabin are you flying in?

Otherwise your only lounge option at ATL is the The Club in F via Priority Pass, which is not all that great of an experience...

never mind, see below.

Last edited by Zorak; Dec 23, 2022 at 5:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.