Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seeking LIS-NYC Assistance on Reward, Unique issue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seeking LIS-NYC Assistance on Reward, Unique issue

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA - G (mm), DL - DM, MM, AA - Plat
4/19. LIS to JFK to ATL to NAS. 65k in D1. But you do risk DL coming after you for the fare difference.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by seattleBH
4/19. LIS to JFK to ATL to NAS. 65k in D1. But you do risk DL coming after you for the fare difference.
if you try this keep in mind unless they recently dropped the requirement NAS requires a health visa that you would have to apply for, not that hard but without it you won’t be able to board in LIS I would assume
Old Mar 21, 2022, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
For that price difference just fly it all (doesn't it earn MQMs still anyways) and just buy the NAS-XXX back to the US...
Old Mar 21, 2022, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
For that price difference just fly it all (doesn't it earn MQMs still anyways) and just buy the NAS-XXX back to the US...
This assume that OP can meet the entry requirements for Nassau, although that would be necessary even if OP were to terminate the journey at JFK.

BTW, 65K is very low for a TATL in D1, even OW. Check carefully that all segments are in D1, FC, or business class.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see plenty of UA LIS-EWR award availability during your time period .
Old Mar 21, 2022, 8:27 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
LIS-LON is usually cheap (on any number of carriers, including FR, EZY, W6). Award availability and $$ tickets are not that expensive from the UK.

Another option is RAM through CMN.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Why does it need to be a non-stop flight to the US? It seems like any connecting airport outside the Schengen zone would accomplish your goal. Using SkyMiles for this would likely involve separate tickets (since so many SkyTeam route through AMS or CDG). For example, there is a lot of Virgin Atlantic availability using SkyMiles, so you could book LHR-JFK and then buy a cheap LIS-LHR flight on a separate ticket (leaving plenty of time in between). LifeMiles might have some IST routings available that would also get you out of Schengen on the first flight but have the benefit of a single ticket.
Actually I never even thought about routing through IST, that's a great idea!! I will check now, you are a genius!

Originally Posted by xliioper
DL has availability on non-stop LIS-JFK, but cash price (512.27EUR) is going to be a better value than award ticket (64K +€185.27 EU). DL awards are subject to carrier-imposed surcharges ex-EU and cheapest award levels require roundtrip bookings (and significant advance purchase) and aren't available as one-ways.

Yes I saw this and it may just make sense to book a revenue ticket instead of trying to use miles, I am travelling with my partner and thought it would be nice to book a business class fare for a long haul flight (she has never flow business ever) but the revenue ticket prices are quite high from what I have see. I did forget that the time I have been considering leaving Portugal is around Labor Day in the states so I definitely may have to rethink that.

Originally Posted by Palal
LIS-LON is usually cheap (on any number of carriers, including FR, EZY, W6). Award availability and $$ tickets are not that expensive from the UK.

Another option is RAM through CMN.
What airline/alliance do you see usually that is the best? when I have checked reward flights historically through LON the Taxes and Fuel Fees are around 300-350GBP

How did you find this fare? When I was looking I didnt find it, for 65K I will just go to NAS haha

Originally Posted by TomMM
I see plenty of UA LIS-EWR award availability during your time period .
I spent quite a while looking yesterday and only saw economy on the nonstop route from LIS to EWR on UA, all the business class flights I saw were connecting within EU/Schengen before departing the zone which I have been advised against doing.

Last edited by ryandc99; Mar 23, 2022 at 8:44 pm
Old Mar 22, 2022, 3:58 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by madrigalbna
What airline/alliance do you see usually that is the best? when I have checked reward flights historically through LON the Taxes and Fuel Fees are around 300-350GBP
LON-NYC is £319 on Westjet or £325 on TP (you wouldn't enter Portugal, so no issues).
LIS-LON is cheap on Ryanair or Easyjet.

You're probably better off flying on Turkish airlines - 550€ LIS-NYC one way in Y.

If you are set on J,
TP has an £842 fare from LON to NYC via LIS on Apr 20. That would require you to fly to LON (or another UK origin).
There's also a J fare MAD-LIS-JFK on TP for 774€, but that would require you to fly to MAD and then backtrack. Technically that would be a violation of your visa extension, which would require you not to leave Portugal, but you could probably get away with it, since you wouldn't be leaving Schengen in MAD.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 5:39 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I am not an attorney, but it would seem to me that if Portugal legally extends the poster's stay in Portugal, an EU country, then that extension is valid in the entire EU.

And why be so fixated on business class for a relatively short daytime flight?

One could make their way over to Casablanca and take the RAM flight to JFK.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Is the US a required destination?
Old Mar 22, 2022, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RobertS975
I am not an attorney, but it would seem to me that if Portugal legally extends the poster's stay in Portugal, an EU country, then that extension is valid in the entire EU.

And why be so fixated on business class for a relatively short daytime flight?

One could make their way over to Casablanca and take the RAM flight to JFK.
Agreed. Not sure why lawyer thinks this is issue. If was legally in Portugal then was legally in Schengen.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Agreed. Not sure why lawyer thinks this is issue. If was legally in Portugal then was legally in Schengen.
Not correct, the visa extension is not an "Official Visa" just as all member states can issue status within their own states, I am here in Portugal and arrived under Visa Waiver and am in "Process" of status change to an official visa, with Covid the government here has become dreadfully slow and inefficient with processing visa appointments.

Thus, they have automatically "Extended Visas" for people who are here waiting a status change, that does not give them access to the EU, it just means they cant be deported for overstaying in Portugal. I now have a need to travel to the the US for business and then tend to fly to South America after but unfortunately Portugal has not been able to grant me my status change in seven months.

Its a bit nuts.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Is the US a required destination?
Not initially no, but I do need to make my way to Miami something in late April/May

Apologies for delayed responses from me, I honestly did not expect so many replies and I am quite humbled by the amount of people that are willingly to help me. I have been a member of this forum since 2009 but have rarely posted (although I do come here for information and to read threads).

Again, I am so grateful to all of you who have posted.

Last edited by ryandc99; Mar 23, 2022 at 8:45 pm
Old Mar 22, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes I saw this and it may just make sense to book a revenue ticket instead of trying to use miles, I am travelling with my partner and thought it would be nice to book a business class fare for a long haul flight (she has never flow business ever) but the revenue ticket prices are quite high from what I have see. I did forget that the time I have been considering leaving Portugal is around Labor Day in the states so I definitely may have to rethink that.
HUH? Labor Day in the USA is the first Monday in September. I thought you were planning to return to the USA in around May. [May 1 i Labor Day in much of the rest of the world, including most/all of Europe and the last Monday in May is Memorial Day in the USA.]
Old Mar 22, 2022, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
HUH? Labor Day in the USA is the first Monday in September. I thought you were planning to return to the USA in around May. [May 1 i Labor Day in much of the rest of the world, including most/all of Europe and the last Monday in May is Memorial Day in the USA.]
Lol sorry you are right, I meant holiday times, I have been bit distracted while replying (im supposed to be working haha).

Looks like I am going to skip the Biz class idea and just fly the DL LIS to JFK in Main Cabin award, 40,000 sky pesos plus €181 in taxes and fees (steep). it makes the most sense, nothing in Biz class I could find was reasonable.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 10:13 am

Lol sorry you are right, I meant holiday times, I have been bit distracted while replying (im supposed to be working haha).

Looks like I am going to skip the Biz class idea and just fly the DL LIS to JFK in Main Cabin award, 40,000 sky pesos plus €181 in taxes and fees (steep). it makes the most sense, nothing in Biz class I could find was reasonable.
What's the price of a ticket paid with money? IIRC if you have any DL credit card, you can use pay with miles and get approximately one cent per RDM. You *might* be more likely to get a FCM upgrade offer if you pay with money (even using pay-with-miles).

BTW, I approve of your decision to avoid going through a third country. No need to worry about IROPs, entry/transit requirements, and additional COVID-19 tests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.