Wiki Posts
Search

McNamara Terminal 20th Birthday

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2022, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold
McNamara Terminal 20th Birthday

I did a cursory search and didn't find anything on this topic. I'm frankly shocked none of the avgeeks here commented on this, but Feb 24 was the 20th anniversary of the opening of the McNamara terminal and the closing of the hellhole that was the Davey terminal. McNamara isn't flashy, but it gets the job done, and it still feels airy and spacious. If I was asked to recommend changes to the terminal, I think I would only ask to relocate the central Sky Club to give views of the ramp and runways.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles Platinum Medallion
Good riddance to the old and long demolished DTW Davey terminal, especially the former C concourse.

DTW McNamara looks good to this day. I second your wish for ramp views in the main Sky Club, and wish whoever installed the A concourse departure and arrival flat panel displays about four years ago would go back and realign them so they are not crooked and misaligned throughout.

(Also, of course, miss seeing a 747 at the gate behind the fountain when descending the escalator from TSA. :-)
JesseRohr likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wish they would bring back the signed rocks.
CPMaverick and Eighty8MPH like this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
20 years in and it's still one of the best places to connect in the US, if not the best. The designers deserve a lot of credit.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 1:58 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
It is one of my favorite airports.

Just wish they would repair the fountain.
Pianoman109876 and chrisny2 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 4:28 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Great airport…almost always seem to have issues with the ground crew/gate agent getting to the gate and disembarking…DTW always seems short handed
KBMIFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 5:09 am

Programs: Delta, JetBlue, Marriott
Talking

Originally Posted by dtwtransport
Good riddance to the old and long demolished DTW Davey terminal, especially the former C concourse.

DTW McNamara looks good to this day. I second your wish for ramp views in the main Sky Club, and wish whoever installed the A concourse departure and arrival flat panel displays about four years ago would go back and realign them so they are not crooked and misaligned throughout.

(Also, of course, miss seeing a 747 at the gate behind the fountain when descending the escalator from TSA. :-)
What, you miss the old C Concourse? That was the best part...running from the farthest gate in C to the farthest gate in G :-)
Old Mar 21, 2022, 6:57 am

Programs: Delta
The only thing worse than the former C concourse was the old international terminal.

I went on a tour of the McNamara terminal when it was under construction. I remember being shown where the Northwest Airlines, British Airways and Lufthansa lounges were going to be...
dtwtransport and N830MH like this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by CowGirlMoo
The only thing worse than the former C concourse was the old international terminal...
I remember flying BA out of that terminal once, tried to find somewhere to get a meal before flying and not being able to as I had no cash. It was truly grim inside and out.

I wonder if it's been demolished.

As to McNamara, its a pleasure to use and if it ever use Delta, try to route through it.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I remember flying BA out of that terminal once, tried to find somewhere to get a meal before flying and not being able to as I had no cash. It was truly grim inside and out.

I wonder if it's been demolished.

As to McNamara, its a pleasure to use and if it ever use Delta, try to route through it.
That would have been the Berry international terminal. It was closed in 2008 with opening of the North Terminal (BA moved over to McNamara terminal when it opened in 2002). It was used for filming some scenes in the movie "Up in the Air" after it closed and finally demolished a few years ago along with the remainder of Smith terminal which had also been closed since 2008 and only housed WCAA offices (they built new office space to replace it next to North Terminal). Berry was originally going to get renovated to house the offices, but they decided it would be too costly and just decided to build new office space.
dtwtransport and beachmouse like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 21, 2022 at 8:29 am
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: DL DM & MM, Hilton Diamond, IC Plt Amb , Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Circle
I remember just getting out of college and starting my first job in DTW, spent lots of time out of the old Davey Terminal. International departures out of F concourse in the afternoon/evening were CRAZY, C WC and concourse were always packed! I remember there was a decent size WC when I first got my membership just on the south the F/G intersection, not the one that was at the beginning of F where it was until they switched. There was also a small one between E and D on the north side of the hallway that was a hole in the wall. Nice little hiding spot though! Still remember meeting Mohammed Ali in C WC and got to shake his hand, very cool. Sure would have been nice back in the day to get picked up a few times from C25 and driven to G12 as had to do a few times. Didn't need much exercise back then!!!
beachmouse likes this.

Last edited by NWAsilvELITE; Mar 21, 2022 at 1:21 pm
Old Mar 21, 2022, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by EBiafore99
What, you miss the old C Concourse? That was the best part...running from the farthest gate in C to the farthest gate in G :-)
My memory was doing something along those lines, only to get to the gate, and be told our flight had been changed - to a plane back at the original concourse.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Yes! I do! I remember I went through DTW in 2006 and when I got off the aircraft. I did says "WOW!". It's so beautiful! I remember I have catch next flight to MEM and then TPA. I have no time to buy a foods. That was so long time ago.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by EBiafore99
Being from the Detroit area, I only had to do the long trudge from check-in to the end of C, through the narrow and low hallways. That was bad enough, and it seemed I had to do it every time on flights to the East Coast. I even enjoy the psychedelic tunnel to B/C in McNamara. Whoever the architects on this project designed a terminal that handles crowds well and doesn't look dated.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Detroiter
I McNamara isn't flashy, but it gets the job done,
I disagree. I think it is flashy and that is OK.
DCAhome likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.