Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diverted for Cockpit door not latching

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2022, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Diverted for Cockpit door not latching

Flying CMH to BOS and they realized after takeoff that the cockpit door wouldn’t latch so diverted to PIT. Not sure how that makes any sense. Wouldn’t it have made more sense to just quietly continue to BOS?
Old Mar 17, 2022, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
My question is, when did you find out? Surely they didn't announce in flight that they were diverting because the cockpit is not secure?
Old Mar 17, 2022, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mountain Explorer
My question is, when did you find out? Surely they didn't announce in flight that they were diverting because the cockpit is not secure?
They noticed after takeoff. They said it was “maintenance issues” A lot of us saw the door open up on takeoff though
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 5:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by disalex
Flying CMH to BOS and they realized after takeoff that the cockpit door wouldn’t latch so diverted to PIT. Not sure how that makes any sense. Wouldn’t it have made more sense to just quietly continue to BOS?
My guess is that a locking door is on the MEL (Minimum Equipment List), or something like that, and that it is "unlawful" to continue flight beyond the minimum necessary for safe landing. Am I defending the decision? No, just trying to speculate on the explanation.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:11 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Wouldn’t it have made more sense to just quietly continue to BOS?
It does, until you have to plan for the scenario where it wasn't an accident, but sabotage to give an onboard terrorist access to the cockpit. It sucks that's the world we live in.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by Gig103
It does, until you have to plan for the scenario where it wasn't an accident, but sabotage to give an onboard terrorist access to the cockpit. It sucks that's the world we live in.
Absolutely lousy indeed!
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Why couldn’t they have blocked access like they do when pilots use the restroom?
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

This was a big topic of conversation. The problem I have with it is they took no other action that would indicate it was a problem This occurred right at takeoff so if you were worried about the cockpit being breached you would immediately turn the plane and bring it down in Columbus. Failing that, for example if corporate made the decision you would do things like say the forward lav was out of order, have an FA ready to block the access etc. Instead at cruising altitude they announced there was a maintenance problem and began a leisurely decent into PIT. If you were truly concerned why not do a leisurely descent until it became obvious then put it down fast.
If it was intentional sabotage they gave the attacker every opportunity to complete the task.
The good news is I just got 7500 bonus points
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
I wouldn't consider this news of any kind, 7500 skypiles are worth less than the keyboard you used to type this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
This was a big topic of conversation. The problem I have with it is they took no other action that would indicate it was a problem This occurred right at takeoff so if you were worried about the cockpit being breached you would immediately turn the plane and bring it down in Columbus. Failing that, for example if corporate made the decision you would do things like say the forward lav was out of order, have an FA ready to block the access etc. Instead at cruising altitude they announced there was a maintenance problem and began a leisurely decent into PIT. If you were truly concerned why not do a leisurely descent until it became obvious then put it down fast.
If it was intentional sabotage they gave the attacker every opportunity to complete the task.
If I remember correctly Republic has a maintenance base in PIT as I have had an issue on the ground in PIT before where the crew came over from the maintenance base to fix an issue.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLATL777
I wouldn't consider this news of any kind, 7500 skypiles are worth less than the keyboard you used to type this.
I know but I was trying to be positive! According to the points guy chart it's $105.00
Old Mar 18, 2022, 3:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
It's the world that you live in. Not me.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Duke787
Why couldn’t they have blocked access like they do when pilots use the restroom?
Simply blocking access to the cockpit with a beverage cart does not meet minimum FAA requirements for cockpit security. Plus, you would have to keep the beverage cart out during approach and landing, which is a safety hazard and would block access to two exit doors on the aircraft.

What surprises me is that they didnt just turn around and head back to CMH. I will never understand how airlines make these decisions.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I know but I was trying to be positive! According to the points guy chart it's $105.00
Yen, not dollars.
Repooc17 and defrosted like this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 9:15 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
At least they had a spare plane at PIT to swap you onto!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.