Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

schedule change and I have to pay??????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2022, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold

Backdrop: So I was scheduled one way on DL in FC from BOS-MIA in July of this year. It was a nonstop flight. I was notified over the weekend that there "was a schedule change" and that I'd been rebooked on a connection, BOS-ATL-MIA and I noticed that my connecting flights would arrive 2 hours later than my nonstop. TRULY not the end of the world. I contacted DL via text and after AN HOUR of actively texting the rep (this does not include wait time) I was advised that BOTH of the two options I'd wanted would involve an add/collect. To be clear, the first option I wanted was BOS-MSP-MIA (a lil out of the way, and I "get" that) but then the second option was simply BOS-ATL-MIA and it was just a tad later than what they'd automatically re-booked me on. I was immensely frustrated that the text agent advised me that I'd have to pay an add/collect b/c their automatic rebooking tool didn't quite meet my needs and I had NO recourse other than to get a refund or accept their booking?????? I terminated the text convo. I FINALLY was able to book one of my desired options on the website and no issue at all. I don't fly DL much anymore and, in fact, have transferred my flying to United or to whomever has the best FC fare for where I'm going, but is this what DL has come to? Truly want to know if this is the "new" DL and thanks for any input. Safe travels.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Frankly, unless you're doing something super simple, the text agents are amazingly clueless. It's a real low point in DL's services.

The website actually lets you rebook for free, as it looks like you discovered (when you click "Change Flights," all the options will show up at the same price you paid), or if you call, any agent should be able to help without hesitation.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 5:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
The issue is probably because a connection in MSP isn't valid in the fare rules, therefore the agent is totally repricing the whole flight. Something like MIA-DTW-BOS is probably a valid routing and they would let you change for no charge.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hi55us
The issue is probably because a connection in MSP isn't valid in the fare rules, therefore the agent is totally repricing the whole flight. Something like MIA-DTW-BOS is probably a valid routing and they would let you change for no charge.
OP here. Thank you and yes, I'm aware of that but my 2nd choice was BOS-ATL-MIA but on a later flight then the rebooking tool had me on, and they advised me that it would be an add/collect on that one as well. so yes, I do understand that portion of my query to them BUT I'll also add that there is a revenue routing available for BOS-MSP-MIA. I appreciate your reply. The interaction w/ DL was most frustrating. Be well and travel safely!!!!
Old Mar 14, 2022, 5:53 pm

Save aggravation. Try website first after accepting the change. Usually it is an even exchange. Otherwise try the phone. Never ever do this by text.
NotHamSarnie and DLASflyer like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Sucks you had that experience, but I agree with others, if you need to contact an agent, always better to call. A phone agent would have given you any legal routing you wanted in under 5 minutes without any difficulty. I def get the appeal of texting but it's just not worth it
Old Mar 14, 2022, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I also suggest waiting a few days after a major schedule change to contact DL (or any airline).
Adam1222, catmndu, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 8:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat (1mm),Marriott LT Plat, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I always have a spare hour or two to wait on hold to speak to an agent.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 8:14 pm

Programs: SPG, DL
Originally Posted by rjburns
I always have a spare hour or two to wait on hold to speak to an agent.
(Use the callback option).

Separately, can we all agree that “we’re experiencing high call volumes” isn’t an excuse? When it’s been occurring for 2 years straight, it’s not a “high call volume” it’s just the new normal coupled with staffing.
Hoyaheel, wrp96, GK8 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by soxfanndc
OP here. Thank you and yes, I'm aware of that but my 2nd choice was BOS-ATL-MIA but on a later flight then the rebooking tool had me on, and they advised me that it would be an add/collect on that one as well. so yes, I do understand that portion of my query to them BUT I'll also add that there is a revenue routing available for BOS-MSP-MIA. I appreciate your reply. The interaction w/ DL was most frustrating. Be well and travel safely!!!!
fully agree the texting / messaging is a waste of time.
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by ATLawyer
(Use the callback option).

Separately, can we all agree that “we’re experiencing high call volumes” isn’t an excuse? When it’s been occurring for 2 years straight, it’s not a “high call volume” it’s just the new normal coupled with staffing.
I heard a leak that marketing is changing keep climbing to keep dialing.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You'd be surprised at valid routings. SLC can even be valid for some East coast to East coast O/D. Mainly due to limited flight numbers since CV19 appeared, these have become legal. Basically LAX and/or SEA generally are the only two you won't see often.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MSP is a valid routing for F fares and the pricier coach fares (below). Although married segment inventory on MSP routings looks to be zeroed out (or limited to higher fare buckets) on many days. There are a number of cheap coach (and corresponding BE/C+) fares that require non-stop routing.

MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
1. BOS-ATL/DTT/MSP/NYC/RDU-MIA
Spiff likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 15, 2022 at 5:23 am
Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:11 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
I would think that for DL that MSP would be valid for a fare unless it was a non-stop only fare. Once a connection is allowed you would be surprised how funky routings are allow... There was a time that I believe that UA had a routing that pretty much would have allowed BOS-x/SFO-MIA
Old Mar 15, 2022, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Given the flight is not until July, I would sit tight and let things play out in their natural courses. I would not be surprised if there would be more schedule updates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.