Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL Winter weather 3/10 - 3/12

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2022, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
ATL Winter weather 3/10 - 3/12

I am reading about possible snow in ATL this weekend. I have IAH-ATL-HNL delta one booked Saturday morning and am very nervous now. Thinking of booking HOU-OAK-HNL on southwest instead. Thoughts?
Old Mar 10, 2022, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Snow is not supposed to get as far as ATL as low temp is forecast as 35. It sounds like it will be windy, but looks like rain will mostly be gone by morning. I think flights will be fine. Delta has a weather waiver in place for the northeast on Saturday, but nothing outside of that.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 10, 2022 at 6:15 pm
Old Mar 10, 2022, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by slickvik
I am reading about possible snow in ATL this weekend. I have IAH-ATL-HNL delta one booked Saturday morning and am very nervous now. Thinking of booking HOU-OAK-HNL on southwest instead. Thoughts?
I don't care if there's a blizzard that drowned ATL in snow that screws up the airport until June you could never ever ever get me to fly on Southwest for that long much less if I have a Delta One ticket anyway, if you couldn't tell I'd ride it out and hope for the best if it were me
emrdoc, Duke787, Spiff and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Why bother? If the weather acts up, DL can route you via LAX/SEA and will keep you in F (or owe you downgrade comp). I wouldn't trade that for WN.

And of course if the weather is fine D1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> WN
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Duke787
Why bother? If the weather acts up, DL can route you via LAX/SEA and will keep you in F (or owe you downgrade comp). I wouldn't trade that for WN.

Could also get routed through SLC where there’s still at least lie flats available although marketed as First but still a lie flat.
Duke787, Spiff and coast_2_coast like this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Call DL and beg, plead to be put on WN.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 5:42 am
Taz

Programs: DL PM
I’m doing SRQ-ATL-GRR tomorrow mid day. I’m not concerned about snow in Atlanta. I’m more concerned about the wind advisory (15-25 mph with gusts to 40), and the line of possibly severe storms coming thru the SRQ area late morning. I’ve already explored going today or earlier tomorrow and there just aren’t any true options. Snow in Atlanta never crossed my mind.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by Taz
I’m doing SRQ-ATL-GRR tomorrow mid day. I’m not concerned about snow in Atlanta. I’m more concerned about the wind advisory (15-25 mph with gusts to 40), and the line of possibly severe storms coming thru the SRQ area late morning. I’ve already explored going today or earlier tomorrow and there just aren’t any true options. Snow in Atlanta never crossed my mind.
Chances of snow early tomorrow now according to weather.com. I guess I'll make my final decision at 3 AM tomorrow as my IAH-HNL flight is at 6 AM, HOU-OAK is at 820. I can cancel either last minute as both are on points. All depends on if IAH-ATL is delayed or not. The connection is 1 hour.

Last edited by slickvik; Mar 11, 2022 at 7:02 am
Old Mar 11, 2022, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787

MSP or LAX are the only options, SLC sold out.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: Delta PM
Chances of snow early tomorrow now according to weather.com. I guess I'll make my final decision at 3 AM tomorrow as my IAH-HNL flight is at 6 AM, HOU-OAK is at 820. I can cancel either last minute as both are on points. All depends on if IAH-ATL is delayed or not. The connection is 1 hour.
I really doubt you have anything at all to worry about. Weather can always change, but the weather advisories don't even encroach on the northern arc of 285.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Folks, please check the weather report and check your flight status before you go to airport. Please keep an eyes on it!
Old Mar 11, 2022, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL DM
Latest TAF for ATL no longer shows any snow chance (just rain). But, gusty NW winds could slow things down if windshear alerts go off as they did in late January.

Assuming you are on DL1315 IAH-ATL departing at 6 AM? If so, that flight is currently on time as the inbound made it in tonight. However the 7:15 AM (DL2053) is showing a 2.5 hr delay as the inbound did NOT make it in tonight.

I would watch this carefully, but looks like your a/c to HNL is currently enroute from HNL, so looks good there.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Agents casually arrived at 430. So far so good.

Last edited by slickvik; Mar 12, 2022 at 3:40 am
Old Mar 12, 2022, 5:59 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Looks like a band of snow will be to ATL shortly. If it’s enough to require a whole bank to be deiced, Delta’s hosed.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Looks like a band of snow will be to ATL shortly. If it’s enough to require a whole bank to be deiced, Delta’s hosed.
For OP's situation, could potentially delay ATL-HNL flight, but not likely IAH-ATL inbound flight. At any rate, it looks like OP is already in the air and half-way to ATL -- https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...210Z/KIAH/KATL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.