Wiki Posts
Search

Unexpected Silver Medallion Status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
So ask yourself what difference in experience can you now expect as Silver today

. You get to choose a shorter line in check in without even reading the entrance signs
You get free baggage for a companion in the US
you can now elbow your way in a boarding group without embarrassment
your wait time on the telephone now drops from days to hours with a call back in the middle of your night
you get to hang a coveted baggage tag on your carry-on as you push somebody else bag out of the way in the overhead
You get to see your name on the gate upgrade list after the pages scroll to the end

enjoy
FO gets Exit Row access at booking (when an exit row isn't also a C+ row like on the first exit row on the A321). That alone makes FO worth it
Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
Because they know that if they give you some status, the first question you'll ask is how to buy more...
Without doubt. It is really minimal customer acquisition costs. As soon as the software thinks they have a chance of hooking you, they try and always have.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Funny

Yesterday my husband got silver brag tags in the mail. While I am a plat, he has not been a silver for years. I didn't think much about it as we did take a couple of big flights last December. Then I saw this thread and checked his account. Sure enough, he had enough MQMs but not MQD. Shows expiration of January 31, 2023.

His reaction when he got the tags? "Cool more to sell on Ebay." (He always sells mine!)
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:13 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gormco02
Thanks for the response. I'm guessing they combined some of my prior years as well.
I am seeing some reports of this from friends whose accounts are tied to corporate discount programs. Would that apply to you? They did get an email.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:19 pm

My SO got the email today and status has been updated. I did not get the same and we only fly together.
Our accounts are pretty much the same, no corp link. I have a gold delta amex, last two trips may have been booked on SO's account though.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 4:47 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by bizum
My SO got the email today and status has been updated. I did not get the same and we only fly together.
Our accounts are pretty much the same, no corp link. I have a gold delta amex, last two trips may have been booked on SO's account though.
If you only fly together, you're good.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
With your numbers from last year, it would have been very reasonable for DL to round up a bit and give you FO, especially if they noticed the flights that you cancelled around December.
I sent them a message asking if they could do so given that I had 6 segments that were booked and cancelled in December, but they never replied.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by calmasahinducow
I sent them a message asking if they could do so given that I had 6 segments that were booked and cancelled in December, but they never replied.
Would you have preferred a reply of "no!"?
Old Mar 10, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by gormco02
Not sure if this has ever happened to anyone before. I logged onto my delta account to look at some details for a couple upcoming flights. Noticed that my Skymiles account now said I was a Silver Medallion member as of the beginning of March. I don't recall getting an email notifying me of this status change. I am only an occasional flyer and while Delta is my most frequent, I typically just fly whatever is cheapest. As such, I have never reached any sort of status with Delta in the past. When I looked at my MQMs and MQS from last year it did not appear that I hit the benchmarks needed for Silver status.

Anyone ever have something like this happen before? Obviously, I like having the status. I am just trying to figure out if I am missing something. Thought maybe it was tied to some promotion or related to a rollover maybe.

Just checked both of my parent's skymiles accounts and they too are Silver Medallion (F0) and they fly maybe 2-3x a year.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 1:44 pm

You get status! You get status!

Eve-ry-bo-dy gets status!
Old Mar 11, 2022, 4:09 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Yes

Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
You get status! You get status!

Eve-ry-bo-dy gets status!

Check under your chair!
Old Mar 11, 2022, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL DM
I found it interesting the email says you can “fly like silver medallion”… as if you aren’t actually Silver medallion.

Maybe the marketing geniuses will even further segment Medallion Status tier upgrade priority:
1. “Earned” Silver
2. “Extended” Silver
3. “It’s not really silver, but we like you, and why not” Silver

This would make for more Medallion tiers than boarding zones—how fun!
Old Mar 12, 2022, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by tardyturtle

This would make for more Medallion tiers than boarding zones—how fun!
And likely just about as effective.

If you give everybody status, nobody has status.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 4:10 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I guess everyone gets SM status in today's new worlds order.

At least my 1MM gets me a nice plexiglass brick though :-)
gretchendz and Monoboy like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 6:53 pm

Programs: IHG RA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver
My co-worker was given FO status after our flights today. He’s around 4,500 MQMs to go, and less than 1k MQD on the year.

Hoping I can catch this soon as I’m a few thousand MQM behind him. I have a handful more Delta flights already planned this year and a chance at C+ is better than guaranteed main.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.