Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Suspends Codeshare with Aeroflot

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2022, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
It’s official!!

Delta will suspending codeshare Aeroflot. Effective immediately!

https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...nORSE4el-ydBrA

Thank you Delta! Smart move! Bravo!!👍🏻👍🏻
Dr_wanderlust likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Glad to see DL doing this. Hope other airlines follow this or have already halted any codeshares and service to Russia.
FabCW likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AntonS
Received email that my existing award ticket will be cancelled. I support removing code share and stopping redemptions, but I think existing tickets should be honored....

​​​
Was it to Russia or just via Russia?
Old Feb 26, 2022, 1:32 am
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AntonS
Received email that my existing award ticket will be cancelled. I support removing code share and stopping redemptions, but I think existing tickets should be honored....

​​​
How did you even manage to book a SU award with DL miles? I was under the impression that SU availability couldn't be booked with DL miles for some time now. I had looked into flying SU with DL miles when I visited late last year, but read that DL could not book SU with miles and I ended up flying AY.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Hats off to Delta!
gretchendz, andrewk829 and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 4:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Now boot them from Skyteam.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by doc4science
How did you even manage to book a SU award with DL miles? I was under the impression that SU availability couldn't be booked with DL miles for some time now. I had looked into flying SU with DL miles when I visited late last year, but read that DL could not book SU with miles and I ended up flying AY.
There was a period when true. However about year ago DL/SU worked out whatever issue was.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Now boot them from Skyteam.
You got it right! They will kicked out of skyteam.

Bye bye Aeroflot!
Old Feb 26, 2022, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'm asking about the posters canceled award.
Yes, they will re-deposit your award miles. They will bring it back. You will get refund it.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 7:21 am

Programs: DL,EK
I flew Aeroflot back in the late 90s SFO-SVO on an IL96. The interior had regular incandescent lightbulbs with no devouring - just exposed bulbs, and a green/gold wallpaper. It was like a flying motorhome form the 60s. Strangest flight I've ever been on and I don't need to fly with them again.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 9:14 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Folks - I moved a number of posts that were off topic/political regarding this decision to the OMNI/PR
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...-aeroflot.html

I do believe having this thread open for a non political debate will provide value, but if we cannot keep it on track it will be closed.
N830MH and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 10:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Most of my flights to, from and via Russia have been on Aeroflot. I had written them off after I ended up one of their Russian-made IL planes on a flight to or from India and had my most miserable international flight ever on a commercial carrier; but later I flew them anyway when they got aircraft more to my liking.

Following the time of the Snowden@SVO period, I remember being asked if there was something that Aeroflot did better than other airlines. I couldn't help but remember that they had some of the best in-flight child kits out there at the time -- maybe even the best of any carrier at the time when it came to what airlines hand out specifically for kids.

I have no plans to fly SU again, DL codeshare or not.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 10:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by enviroian
Can one add an entire airline to a no fly list?

Airlines or airlines from a country being blacklisted has happened before. Familiar with Skyteam member Garuda? For a while it was on some government blacklists because of safety concerns. Safety concerns back then with the Skyteam airline but also even with the whole country's aviation sector.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK the government could forbid payments to SU and other businesses in which the Russian government has an ownership stake. This would be similar to the prohibition to paying certain hotels in Cuba that are related to their military.

Codeshares can make the flights eligible for government travel (Fly America Act), although if there isn't any "USA" carrier routing--no matter how long, inconvenient, or expensive--"foreign" carriers are permitted.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by enviroian
Can one add an entire airline to a no fly list?

You can add it to your own personal no-fly list ;-). It certainly is on mine.

Britain has suspended landing rights for all Russian airlines. But now "due to a computer failure" all short haul flights by BA from London have been canceled. Draw your own conclusions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.