Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is Delta Airlines next for a merger/acquisition?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Delta Airlines next for a merger/acquisition?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2022, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by emma dog
Which one?
What assets do they gain?
What strategic advantage do they gain?
What is the return on invested capital?
all the FT wannabe-CEOs don’t think about those questions because they’re too busy noodling on the possible impacts to their travel patterns and status accumulation
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by Duke787
Why would DL want to get in a bidding war for any airline?
Oh I don't now. Maybe to waste the little money they have, instead of using it to shore up their operations?

They tried before and were quite successful, i.e. Alitalia, LATAM, I am sure I am forgetting some.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Based on this evening's news about a buyout offer from JB for frontier, Maybe Delta could do a bidding war/offer for another airline.
B6 made the bid for Spirit, not Frontier and at face value B6's bid is a really stupid idea. No alignment with corporate culture and regulatory issues galore. My guess is that management decided to make the bid because they felt threatened by a Spirit/Frontier tie up that would make that ULCC a similar sized competitor to B6. Knowing that the buyout is unlikely to receive regulatory approval (especially if they don't put their heart into it), they will eat the breakup fee and derail the Spirit/Frontier merger and preserve their place in the market.

And no, DL is not going to get in a bidding war for another airline.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by drminn
Oh I don't now. Maybe to waste the little money they have, instead of using it to shore up their operations?

They tried before and were quite successful, i.e. Alitalia, LATAM, I am sure I am forgetting some.
None of those were mergers. DL can't legally merge with a foreign airline.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 3:54 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by flyerCO
If anything i see them going with QF/NZ. Both partner with each other despite separate alliance. Very possible to see one working with DL.
AF already partners with QF (and JL and SQ, for that matter), so a DL/QF partnership isn't completely out of the question.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
China Airlines via TPE would be great. Of course this won't happen with MU partnership.. heck,, MU would be good if China ever reopens.. (The new PVG terminal makes ITI a breeze)

If anything i see them going with QF/NZ. Both partner with each other despite separate alliance. Very possible to see one working with DL.

Hawaiian issue is domestic F to HNL from mainland. Who would pay for that?
I'm pretty sure Oneworld and Star would have something to say about an alliance between DL and QF or NZ. Why do some people seem to think Delta can just do anything that they please and no one will stop them? 🤦🏻‍♂️
emma dog likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 8:50 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
There are still ways to make money (for somebody) by yet another leaked announcement that a big airline is offering to buy a little guy. The insiders (friends of a friend or your barber) pass a subtle hint and they buy up a load of airline stock waiting for the leak and confirmation to drive up the stock and then they sell about the time that this forum dissects the utter hopelessness of the parties (including the government) ever approving it.

And a lucky few get to make a mil or so
Old Apr 6, 2022, 8:55 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I'm pretty sure Oneworld and Star would have something to say about an alliance between DL and QF or NZ. Why do some people seem to think Delta can just do anything that they please and no one will stop them? 🤦🏻‍♂️
Oneworld doesn't seem able to stop AFKL partnering with JL (can earn FB miles on nearly any (except for flights between France and Japan in most economy fare classes) JL flight and FB miles can be used on JL) or QF (and on limited MH flights).
flyerCO likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by drminn

If the alliance tried to do this an antitrust case would be in making. Regardless there's plenty of examples (not just the AF/KL / QF/JL example) that prove this isn't the case.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
If the alliance tried to do this an antitrust case would be in making. Regardless there's plenty of examples (not just the AF/KL / QF/JL example) that prove this isn't the case.
Alitalia was a Skyteam member. So no shock they cooperated with DL. And with Latam's financial woes Delta gave them a lot of money to ditch their partnership with AA. Qantas is no where close to insolvency so Delta would have to pay dearly to even get their attention let alone abandon AA. There's nothing stopping Delta from serving smaller markets in Oceania if they want to. I'm sure the likes of Christchurch and Alice Springs would love nonstops to the US so I doubt there would be any sweat or regulatory hurdles.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 6:43 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by jrl767
all the FT wannabe-CEOs don’t think about those questions because they’re too busy noodling on the possible impacts to their travel patterns and status accumulation
I'm not a wannabe CEO, nor do I play one on TV. I am fascinated by the transportation industry generally and enjoy observing it and thinking about it. I wouldn't pretend to give any of the veteran airline executives any advice as to business moves to make.

I look at proposed mergers and try to figure out the possible motivations of the parties, and what the potential gains would be.

I can't understand what jetBlue sees in Spirit, since they have different business models and do not have a congruent product. Wouldn't jetBlue be better off taking their $3.6 bn (?) offer for Spirit and expanding its own fleet and ground operations? How many unique slots does Spirit control at capacity-controlled airports that jetBlue could integrate into its network? Is Spirit much of a player in New York City? Spirit is certainly a player here at CLE, but this particular medium-sized airport is a free for all with plenty of gate capacity and landing/takeoff slots for any airline to grow here.
catmndu likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 7:14 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by ND76
I'm not a wannabe CEO, nor do I play one on TV. I am fascinated by the transportation industry generally and enjoy observing it and thinking about it. I wouldn't pretend to give any of the veteran airline executives any advice as to business moves to make.

I look at proposed mergers and try to figure out the possible motivations of the parties, and what the potential gains would be.

I can't understand what jetBlue sees in Spirit, since they have different business models and do not have a congruent product.
As someone with similar feelings about armchair ceo…

I wonder if B6 is just trying to be a spoiler for the spirit merger. Slow it down and gum up the works.
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Alitalia was a Skyteam member. So no shock they cooperated with DL. And with Latam's financial woes Delta gave them a lot of money to ditch their partnership with AA. Qantas is no where close to insolvency so Delta would have to pay dearly to even get their attention let alone abandon AA. There's nothing stopping Delta from serving smaller markets in Oceania if they want to. I'm sure the likes of Christchurch and Alice Springs would love nonstops to the US so I doubt there would be any sweat or regulatory hurdles.
Who said anything about ditching AA/OW? I'm talking a straight codeshare agreement just like AF/KL has with QF.
hhdl likes this.

Last edited by flyerCO; Apr 7, 2022 at 9:49 am
Old Apr 7, 2022, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by ND76
I can't understand what jetBlue sees in Spirit, since they have different business models and do not have a congruent product. Wouldn't jetBlue be better off taking their $3.6 bn (?) offer for Spirit and expanding its own fleet and ground operations? How many unique slots does Spirit control at capacity-controlled airports that jetBlue could integrate into its network? Is Spirit much of a player in New York City? Spirit is certainly a player here at CLE, but this particular medium-sized airport is a free for all with plenty of gate capacity and landing/takeoff slots for any airline to grow here.
Jetblue made the statement they would like to buy Spirit because it is difficult to buy aircraft right now and this is the easiest way to buy aircraft. Ummm...I don't buy it.

As someone with similar feelings about armchair ceo…

I wonder if B6 is just trying to be a spoiler for the spirit merger. Slow it down and gum up the works.
100% the reason.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Definitely.
And it will never happen.
And I don't see F9/NK happening either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.