Wiki Posts
Search

A Trio of Weather Waivers 2/2/22

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2022, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
A Trio of Weather Waivers 2/2/22

37 Delta stations are under weather waivers starting Wednesday.

Colorado/New Mexico: https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...winter-weather
Great Plains: https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...winter-weather
Midwest: https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...winter-weather

Last edited by DLASflyer; Jan 31, 2022 at 3:31 pm
Old Jan 31, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Flying DAL-ATL-MSY Thursday night. Wondering if I should try and switch to DFW to have more options for getting out.

Last edited by wakesetter93; Jan 31, 2022 at 3:57 pm
Old Jan 31, 2022, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Flying DAl-ATL-MSY Thursday night. Wondering if I should try and switch to DFW to have more options for getting out.
I'm all for being loyal to DL, but in a case like this, might just be worth booking non-stop on AA or WN if you can find a reasonable last-minute fare and significantly reduce your risk of the trip going sideways.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by Cory6188
I'm all for being loyal to DL, but in a case like this, might just be worth booking non-stop on AA or WN if you can find a reasonable last-minute fare and significantly reduce your risk of the trip going sideways.
Wonder if I would be able to keep mt MSY-ATL-DAL return on Sunday or if I'd have to look at a whole new RT.

EDIT: WN has a DAL-MSY on Thursday night for $95. May just scoop that up and figure the rest out later
Old Jan 31, 2022, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Wonder if I would be able to keep mt MSY-ATL-DAL return on Sunday or if I'd have to look at a whole new RT.

EDIT: WN has a DAL-MSY on Thursday night for $95. May just scoop that up and figure the rest out later
I don't think you could do it online, but if you call (good luck...), DL should be able to preserve the return and give you at least a credit for the outbound portion of the ticket.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Yeah, here in DTW the local media has been hyping this storm up for the past several days.
Some of the earlier model runs, without realistic analysis they were saying upwards of 30" of snow, which frankly just doesn't happen here.

Now the range is anywhere from 6-15" across the region, but DTW looks to be in the higher end of the snow totals.

I am supposed to fly out Thursday evening. I'm having a hard time breaking down the storm forecast as to when its going to be the "worst" for air travel.
It looks like the heaviest / most intense snow is going to be on Wednesday, but its its a long snow event that will accumulate into Thursday.

I am supposed to fly out Thursday late-afternoon, and its sort of a time-sensitive purpose. No way I can leave Tuesday, so I'm going to sit as-is on my flight on Thursday for now. Its a mainline A321.
As a precaution, I booked a flight on Friday morning using points just in case the flight on Thursday get cancelled.

We shall see, I can't tell if this is media hype or the real deal. After all I've lived in Michigan for 40 years and we always get snow events in the winter.
dtwtransport likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Erie (ERI) seems to have a weather waiver. They have not flown there in quite a while. Lol
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 10:27 am

Swapped my Thursday afternoon flight for a Wednesday night flight. 1h 4m in ATL is better than the 44m connection on my original ticket.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
I suspect that DTW will probably stay operational with 1 or 2 runways through the storm, but I suspect most the regionals / DCI flights will end up getting cancelled, and anything into any of the stations in the midst of the winter storm.
I suspect they will probably try to operate most of the non-affected mainline flights if possible, albet with a lot of delays. (e.g, hubs, Florida, West Coast, International).

Wednesday looks like it will be a rough day, and Thursday looks like they should be able to recover a bit by the afternoon, assuming the winds don't get too crazy and cause too much drifting.

DTW is in the swath of 10-15 inches, but its a long duration event. Snowfall rates under 0.5"/hr they can stay on top of, but 1"/hr rates will cause big problems.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DTWflyer

Wednesday looks like it will be a rough day, and Thursday looks like they should be able to recover a bit by the afternoon, assuming the winds don't get too crazy and cause too much drifting.
Don't underestimate staffing problems. That is why I spent three days in Detroit a few years ago. That could be further exasperated given the current conditions.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by indufan
Don't underestimate staffing problems. That is why I spent three days in Detroit a few years ago. That could be further exasperated given the current conditions.
good point! Good luck with the IRROPs rebooking on the phone, and/or getting an agent who can get it done properly!
Old Feb 2, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Monday evening, I swapped out my MEM-ATL-ORD flight that was supposed to be this morning to one that went out yesterday. Contrary to the "no fare difference", somehow this one turned out $8 more expensive. And it wouldn't have been just this one, all of the options for the change were at the same $8 higher fare. I asked about the higher fare while checking in at MEM, but they had no idea why there was the up charge when the fare should have stayed the same.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zdcatc12
Monday evening, I swapped out my MEM-ATL-ORD flight that was supposed to be this morning to one that went out yesterday. Contrary to the "no fare difference", somehow this one turned out $8 more expensive. And it wouldn't have been just this one, all of the options for the change were at the same $8 higher fare. I asked about the higher fare while checking in at MEM, but they had no idea why there was the up charge when the fare should have stayed the same.
Did you make change online or with an agent? Were there any routing changes? Could have been taxes and fees and not a fare difference. Although adding a connection would be an additional $9.00 -- $4.50 additional passenger facility charge and $4.50 for additional US domestic segment tax. Could compare original email receipt and new one. In particular, the Fare Details: line which has tax and fare component breakdowns.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 7:42 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by xliioper
Did you make change online or with an agent? Were there any routing changes? Could have been taxes and fees and not a fare difference. Although adding a connection would be an additional $9.00 -- $4.50 additional passenger facility charge and $4.50 for additional US domestic segment tax. Could compare original email receipt and new one. In particular, the Fare Details: line which has tax and fare component breakdowns.
I did it online, no routing changes. It was actually the same MEM-ATL flight that I would have been on, but I took the earlier ATL-MEM one. FWIW, even the same flights, would have had the same up charge. The emailed receipt says that there was a $7.45 fare difference with $0.55 as taxes, fees and charges.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zdcatc12
I did it online, no routing changes. It was actually the same MEM-ATL flight that I would have been on, but I took the earlier ATL-MEM one. FWIW, even the same flights, would have had the same up charge. The emailed receipt says that there was a $7.45 fare difference with $0.55 as taxes, fees and charges.
Ah, unfortunately, I think you have to go through an agent to get the fare differences waived and the website is not smart enough to apply fare difference waiver in the case of weather waivers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.