Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrade from Gold to Platinum Amex for MQD Waiver?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2022, 8:43 pm
zmb
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, Avis President's Club

If I already hold a DL Gold Amex and want to upgrade (or open a new account) to the DL Platinum Amex, will spend on the Gold card count for the MQD waiver since it's a DL-branded card or only future spend on the Platinum version?

I already have enough MQM for 2023 Silver Medallion but need business travel to return to have any hope for requalifying for status. Rollover miles that started accumulating in 2019 may let me make Gold for the first time.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 9:28 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by zmb
If I already hold a DL Gold Amex and want to upgrade (or open a new account) to the DL Platinum Amex, will spend on the Gold card count for the MQD waiver since it's a DL-branded card or only future spend on the Platinum version?

I already have enough MQM for 2023 Silver Medallion but need business travel to return to have any hope for requalifying for status. Rollover miles that started accumulating in 2019 may let me make Gold for the first time.
This is a great question, as I just upgraded from Skymiles Gold to Platinum today. I hadn't even thought about this, although I suspect that the answer is no.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 9:37 pm
zmb
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
This is a great question, as I just upgraded from Skymiles Gold to Platinum today. I hadn't even thought about this, although I suspect that the answer is no.
After Delta picks up you have a DL Platinum Card, check "Card Spend" in the Delta app or delta.com to see what it shows and compare to your Amex statements?

American Express updates daily my progress to $10k spend for the $100 eCredit, do they track spend for the MQD waiver and MQM bonues?
Old Jan 30, 2022, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted - wrong assumption

Last edited by ijgordon; Jan 31, 2022 at 8:54 am
Old Jan 30, 2022, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC the MQD $25,000 waiver is stated in terms of total spend on DL affiliated AmEx cards in FF's name (and associated with the FF account?). I know that spend across several cards can be combined for the $25,000 threshold. So IMO the question would be whether spend on a DL Gold AmEx card can count for the waiver if one also has a Plat or Reserve card and whether DL counts spend on such a card in the same calendar year but prior to obtaining an AmEx DL Plat or Reserve card.

BTW, if you've held the AmEx DL Gold card for less than a year, you can't upgrade and must apply for a new (Plat or Reserve) card. There's a consumer protection regulation that credit card issuers cannot increase the annual fee in the first year.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 10:45 pm
zmb
Original Poster

Looking at fine print, spend on any DL-branded card should count:

Eligible Cards are the following: Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Card, Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Card, Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business Card, and Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business Card. Other Cards are not eligible for the MQD Waiver. However, if linked to the same SkyMiles number, eligible purchases made on a Delta SkyMiles® Blue Card, Delta SkyMiles® Gold Card, Delta SkyMiles Business Card, or Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business Card will continue to count towards the MQD Waiver spend threshold requirements.
So theoretically, if I expect to exceed $25k Amex spend by EoY, I could upgrade/open a DL Platinum card before year end to receive the MQD waiver. I wouldn't expect to qualify for the bonus MQMs though.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 7:31 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by zmb
YTD spend on the gold will be included towards MQD waiver spend after upgrading to a plat DL Amex, per this data point from May 2021:

MQD Qualification with Delta Amex.

Originally Posted by tanglin
OP here.

I just wanted to confirm I upgraded (did not get a new one) my Gold to Plat on Saturday. Today (Tuesday) my spend YTD is included and I'm a few hundred dollars away from my MQD waiver! Card will arrive this week in time for my UK trip.

So I won't make Diamond I expect for next year, but I'll at least be a little more up the pole for upgrades and get the CBs.
zmb likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 8:43 am

I can confirm that the gold spend will transfer as I did the switch last year.
Daitheflu84 and zmb like this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Norri
When I switched from DL PLat AmEx to DL Reserve AmEx midyear, my spend transferred.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 11:25 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ecaarch
When I switched from DL PLat AmEx to DL Reserve AmEx midyear, my spend transferred.
​​​​​​That's less applicable to this specific thread though, because DL Plat spend is already eligible for the MQD waiver whereas the DL Gold isn't.
Daitheflu84 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 4:58 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Norri
This is good to know, as I've been using my SM AMEX Gold a lot so far this year!

One other question, how often does the AMEX spend tracker on the Delta site update? My AMEX login shows this updated regularly, but I've no idea what to expect with that data crossing over to Delta.com. Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2022, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
This is good to know, as I've been using my SM AMEX Gold a lot so far this year!

One other question, how often does the AMEX spend tracker on the Delta site update? My AMEX login shows this updated regularly, but I've no idea what to expect with that data crossing over to Delta.com. Thanks!
I watch my spend on the DL app, and it seems to update at irregular intervals that aren't closely related to when I spend money, even taking account of pending charges vs actual charges. However, I notice that it's most likely to update in the middle of the night on weekends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.